Old November 30th 04, 12:20 AM
Larry Ozarow

Howard Bingham wrote:

One question, what are "paper capacitors" & how do they differ from
those found on other radios..? (One of the contacts who aparently
services these old German radios suggested replacing the paper
capacitors before replacing tubes.).

Howard Bingham, Houston, Tx.
KE5APJ

Most radios have three basic kinds of caps -
electrolytics, which have large capacitance
values and show up in the power supply and the
audio output, tubulars, which have middling values
and show up all over the place, and small-capacitance
ceramics. Ceramics are usually small plastic disks or lozenge
shaped, and rarely fail. The electrolytics in older
radios are almost always bad and need replacing. Older
radios had tubular caps which used wax-impregnated
paper to separate the foil "plates." The wax-paper degrades
with time and they usually need to be replaced, though
I have seen plenty that are older than your radio that are
still OK. You should definitely replace the electrolytics
and any paper caps that are in the power supply before replacing
any tubes or else you may well have to replace the tubes again
right quick (as the saying goes, "Ask me how I know").
Old November 30th 04, 12:37 AM
Larry Ozarow

Forgot to mention, the tubulars can be
replaced with modern mylar, polyester or
polypropylene tubulars or
(overkill) orange-drops. AES or radiodaze
or any number of on-line vendors have
them. The yellow poly tubulars are cheap
and reliable and easy to work with.
The capacitance values will not likely be
exactly the same as the originals,
but within 10% or so is fine. Err on the high
side for electolytics.

Another fine source for caps is Dave & Babylyn Cantelon
at www.justradios.com. They also have schematics for
some US, Canadian and European radios, you might ask them
if they have one for your radio.
Old November 30th 04, 04:46 AM
tommyknocker

Howard Bingham wrote:

Thank you for all of the replies, I have contacted several links which
have resulted in some positive feedback as to this restoration project
which started as a rainy day idea to fix up this Blaupunkt radio that
had until this weekend been collecting dust on top of a book case..

One question, what are "paper capacitors" & how do they differ from
those found on other radios..? (One of the contacts who aparently
services these old German radios suggested replacing the paper
capacitors before replacing tubes.).

Howard Bingham, Houston, Tx.
KE5APJ

You'll need to go to this newsgroup:

rec.antiques.radio+phono

I'm sure you can find people who work on old German sets there, and if
this little holiday project is shaping up to be more than you can
handle, maybe you can get one of them to fix it for you.

Old November 30th 04, 08:19 AM
starman

Volker Tonn wrote:

Howard Bingham schrieb:

One question, what are "paper capacitors" & how do they differ from
those found on other radios..? (One of the contacts who aparently
services these old German radios suggested replacing the paper
capacitors before replacing tubes.).

Paper capacitors are made with paper inside as the name implies.
These capacitors tend to dry out and tend to explode sooner or later,
destroying a lot inside the radio. So a replacement with modern parts/
capacitors is highly recommended.

It's been my experience that paper capacitors rarely explode. They just
become leaky to DC current and therefore ineffective for their intended
purpose as an AC signal device. Replacing them can protect other
components such as I.F. transformers which can be hard to find for old
tube radios.

Old November 30th 04, 01:41 PM
David

They do explode. They'll fill a large room with little bits of
aluminum foil and wax paper.

Old November 30th 04, 05:23 PM
Frank Dresser

"Howard Bingham" wrote in message

Thank you for all of the replies, I have contacted several links which
have resulted in some positive feedback as to this restoration project
which started as a rainy day idea to fix up this Blaupunkt radio that
had until this weekend been collecting dust on top of a book case..

One question, what are "paper capacitors" & how do they differ from
those found on other radios..? (One of the contacts who aparently
services these old German radios suggested replacing the paper
capacitors before replacing tubes.).

Howard Bingham, Houston, Tx.
KE5APJ

Take a look at the "How can I fix up my old radio?" and "How to replace
capacitors" articles on Phil Nelson's helpful Radio Beginner page:

http://antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

Frank Dresser

Old November 30th 04, 06:53 PM
Mark Zenier

In article Q0Pqd.799$8v3.447@trndny08,
Larry Ozarow wrote:
Howard Bingham wrote:

One question, what are "paper capacitors" & how do they differ from
those found on other radios..? (One of the contacts who aparently
services these old German radios suggested replacing the paper
capacitors before replacing tubes.).

Howard Bingham, Houston, Tx.
KE5APJ

Most radios have three basic kinds of caps -
electrolytics, which have large capacitance
values and show up in the power supply and the
audio output, tubulars, which have middling values
and show up all over the place, and small-capacitance
ceramics. Ceramics are usually small plastic disks or lozenge
shaped, and rarely fail.

Older radios will have mica capacitors in place of ceramics, which
became popular in, judging from the stuff I've scrapped over the
years, in the 1950s. They look like little black or dark brown dominos.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old December 1st 04, 05:31 AM
starman

David wrote:

They do explode. They'll fill a large room with little bits of
aluminum foil and wax paper.

I used the word 'rarely' for a reason. I have never had an original
waxed paper capacitor explode in any of my boatanchors during the past
30-years. That doesn't mean it never happens. I usually replace them
because most are leaky, especially the infamous 'black beauties'.

Old December 1st 04, 05:36 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Howard Bingham wrote:
There remains only one tube to be found & I have 4 vendors looking for
the US equivilent if not the exact replacement tube. ( ECC85 )

6AQ8, E(xcellent) replacment according to my Rider Receiving Tube
Substituion Guide. (If you had put a list of the numbers in your
first post, you'd know this by now).

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old December 2nd 04, 02:59 AM
starman

Larry Ozarow wrote:
Howard Bingham wrote:

One question, what are "paper capacitors" & how do they differ from
those found on other radios..? (One of the contacts who aparently
services these old German radios suggested replacing the paper
capacitors before replacing tubes.).

Howard Bingham, Houston, Tx.
KE5APJ

Most radios have three basic kinds of caps -
electrolytics, which have large capacitance
values and show up in the power supply and the
audio output, tubulars, which have middling values
and show up all over the place, and small-capacitance
ceramics. Ceramics are usually small plastic disks or lozenge
shaped, and rarely fail.

Older radios will have mica capacitors in place of ceramics, which
became popular in, judging from the stuff I've scrapped over the
years, in the 1950s. They look like little black or dark brown dominos.

Those micas are surprisely reliable for their age. I seldom have to
replace one but it's a good idea to check them.

Which Tube Radio, not only Which Radio Tube SR Shortwave 8 October 24th 04 01:30 PM
Tubes FS Tom Hix w4th Homebrew 0 December 3rd 03 12:20 PM
Tubes FS Tom Hix w4th Equipment 0 December 3rd 03 12:19 PM
Tubes FS Tom Hix w4th Equipment 0 December 3rd 03 12:19 PM
Tubes FS Tom Hix w4th Boatanchors 0 December 3rd 03 12:18 PM