Old December 5th 04, 02:44 PM
Sanjaya

"pickle" wrote in message ...
Sanjaya wrote:
"Lucky" wrote in message ...

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"pickle" wrote in message

Sanjaya wrote:

"David" wrote in message
news:Mprsd.218$pe.2@trndny04...

snip
I've heard other positive comments of various radios on this NG
but based on this thread, I just asked my wife for an 1103 for Christmas.
Just a question of wheather to deal with broccoli or liypn.

I suggest Liypn because he tests his radios before shipping and is
sending
only the post-Sept. 28 model, when Degen fixed the sporadic tuning
knob problem some users had. The longest it's taken for me to get a radio
from him is 7 days. The only drawback is that items are shipped certified
mail and you have to sign for them. That entails an additional day and a
trip
to the post office if no one is home when it comes.

Brochhi ships from the US, so the radio would arrive more quickly, and I
didn't
have to sign for the shipment I received from him. I think it was via
FedEx and my
signature is on file there so they left it on the doorstep.
Might have been US Postal Service, can't remember.
However, Brochhi doesn't state that he is sending the "fixed" ones.
He's never answered any e-mail inquiry I've sent him about *anything*.
I'd say, and this is only my opinion, that you'd be taking a chance with
Brochhi...
unless you can get him to answer correspondence and assure you he's
sending a
post-Sept. 28 model.

Brocchi is cheaper, and you get a real 110v adapter with it where the other
guy sends a fire hazard step down transformer. The fire hazard was mentioned
in Passport 2005. I bought mine 3 months ago and don't have one problem with
it. Plus I got the radio in 3 days.

Lucky

I believe Passport said "unconfirmed reports" that the transformer "appears" to
pose a problem in some cases. Liypn was not including the transformer as part of the
purchase when I got mine. I've bought 3 other radios from him, all came with the
step-up transformer, and not have caused any problem.
Besides, if a person has their own charger and another set of rechargeable batteries
the step-up transformer and mains power are not needed at all.
And you are correct... not all pre-Sept. 28 DE1103s have the tuning knob problem.
(If I read your post correctly.)
Anyway, it's each person's choice to order from the vendor that gives them the
service and products they desire. I choose Liypn if he offers the item I'm interested
in. But I've purchased from Brochhi and have had a satisfactory experience there too.
He just didn't answer my e-mails. The radios were fine.
All I'm saying here is Pickle should be sure he's getting a post-Sept. 28 model, lessening
the chances of having the tuning knob glitch.

I use batteries in all my portables anyway. That way they're...er..
portable. The ones that use D cells last a LONG time.
We'll see about the AA's. And I have a charger with nickle hydride
batts. Much better than NiCad.

You're all set : )
Let us know how you like the radio.
I'll predict now that you'll say "amazing" performance.
But be sure to post your own reactions. Some people
really have an issue with the ergonomics... I don't
though. It was a non-issue for me.
Best wishes for the holiday season.

Old December 5th 04, 03:19 PM
Jim Hackett

I actually got a response from Brocchi once. I was interested in buying an
FR200 and asked if I could pick the color. He emailed me back stating
"Absolutely not"! Ok, then, forget it....

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
ink.net...

"pickle" wrote in message

Old December 5th 04, 03:22 PM
Sanjaya

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
nk.net...
I actually got a response from Brocchi once. I was interested in buying an
FR200 and asked if I could pick the color. He emailed me back stating
"Absolutely not"! Ok, then, forget it....

LOL!!!
Guess I'm lucky he didn't answer me.

Old December 5th 04, 03:32 PM
tianli

He's never answered any e-mail inquiry I've sent him about *anything*.
I'd say, and this is only my opinion, that you'd be taking a chance with

Brochhi...
unless you can get him to answer correspondence and assure you he's

sending a
post-Sept. 28 model.

Hmmm, that's odd, Brochhi has answered EVERY email I have ever sent to him.

Old December 5th 04, 03:33 PM
Jim Hackett

I HAVE bought from him way back when but after that response, I'll stick
with Liypn!

ink.net...

Old December 5th 04, 03:44 PM
Sanjaya

"tianli" wrote in message ...

He's never answered any e-mail inquiry I've sent him about *anything*.
I'd say, and this is only my opinion, that you'd be taking a chance with

Brochhi...
unless you can get him to answer correspondence and assure you he's

sending a
post-Sept. 28 model.

Hmmm, that's odd, Brochhi has answered EVERY email I have ever sent to him.

I wish he would have answered me too.
I was wanting a Tecsun BCL2000 with English lettering.
Liypn was only selling the Chinese labeled ones by then.
So I asked Brochhi if he was still shipping the English versions.
He never answered, even after 3 e-mails, but I took a chance
that he still had the English ones.
I was right, and got a great radio.
Not sure if it is the updated one or not, but it has very
little drift on MW which is what I use it for. It will drift 1 kHz
after I turn it on, and then none after it warms up. He also supplied
a terrific step-up transformer for 220v. It's not the same as the
ones Liypn sent me (which work fine for me), but the one Brochhi sent
barely gets to luke warm even if used for hours on end.

Old December 5th 04, 03:54 PM
Jim Hackett

Does the transformer you got from Brocchi say AC ACADAPTER on the box?
That's the one I got from him and they also run fairly cool although I DID
have 2 of them just stop working...

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old December 5th 04, 06:25 PM
Sanjaya

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
nk.net...
Does the transformer you got from Brocchi say AC ACADAPTER on the box?
That's the one I got from him and they also run fairly cool although I DID
have 2 of them just stop working...

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
ink.net...

"tianli" wrote in message

[...]

The transformer box, if there was one... can't remember if it was just in the
radio box, is packed away with the BCL2000 box.
But the transformer itself says Cn (or maybe Ch) and AC AC ADAPTER
The C looks like a crescent moon. On the side with the prongs is a sticker
that says CCC.
Runs cool, has 4-5 hours of use everyday for a month and a half.

Old December 5th 04, 09:34 PM
David

I find the volume control easy to adjust to. No big deal for me. It is a
small tradeoff for
a well made radio. I mean the thing cost just $65. I did get it from Liypn.
He even emailed me an English version of the manual.
The sensitivity easily rivals more expensive models. It is definitely more
sensitive than the YB 400. I got a wow feeling when using
it. In many ways it is superior to the mini
Sony SW 100s I once had. I am using rechargeable batteries with the radio. I
have
a recharger I use with my digital camera, so
I use this to recharge the batteries. I got an extra set of rechargeables,
so I am able to rely on just battery power all the time.
"David" wrote in message
I just got the Degen 1103 from China. It took about 10 days for delivery.
First off,
the package had over 10 China stamps on it for my son's stamp collection,

so
that was a bonus. My first day impressions are this is a GREAT radio! It
definitely outperforms
past portables I owned including the Grundig YB 400, Radio Shack DX-440,

and
Sony SW 100. It's top strength is excellent sensitivity on all bands.
Actually superior sensitivity. I checked for fringe stations for my area

and
it digged them out with the whip not used. On FM bands it is superb. I

also
got two TV channels on it on the lower FM band. One TV station is 90 miles
away and it gets it. Only my GE SuperRadio III could get that TV channel,
and the Degen does it slightly better. AM band is also just as good. I am
just starting to check the shortwave bands. So this is a great radio thus
far. Though under $100, a radio like this would easily be above $200 five
years ago.

Old December 7th 04, 11:47 PM

Haven't got my 1103 yet. It's only been 3 days since I ordered it and
got confirmation of shipping date of yesterday, but I did pick up a
package of 4 Energizer NIMH 2200mah AA batterys and 15 minute charger
for $27.00. I feel better about using the batterys than a questionable
110/220 conversion scheme and a more or less manual charger system in
the radio. Also, if you have ever compared battery operation vs
el-cheapo wart plug operation, many times it can be much quieter
depending on your location. Super quiet location, batterys win out.
Been there, done that.

I did see a neat charger battery combo kit for about $25.00 that worked
either on 12VDC or 120VAC, but it had a 220V to 110V converter plug
with it, so I passed on that one.

FT: Degen 1103 DeWayne Shortwave 7 December 6th 04 07:21 PM
Degen 1103 EBAY website question David Shortwave 9 November 30th 04 02:00 PM
Which is best? Degen 1102 or 1103?? David Shortwave 6 August 31st 04 01:14 AM
Degen 1103 came today! Diverd4777 Shortwave 6 May 6th 04 08:21 PM
Degen 1103 Specs in English Gleason Sackmann Shortwave 7 April 13th 04 11:09 PM