RadioBanter

-   -   In praise of the Degen /KAITO 1101 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/46739-praise-degen-kaito-1101-a.html)

Stinger December 8th 04 11:43 PM

"Larry Loeb" wrote in message
On 12/7/04 7:20 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

Or hooking the audio output of the Degen to a 'big' speaker, might
improve the listenability too at a much lower cost and with improved
sensitivity, than purchasing a 960 Classic. Ignore technological
improvements if you must, but never mistake 30-50 year old ancient
technology and capabilities with what is available now days and a much
much cheaper cost. Nostalgia YES, better specs.....outside of maybe
audiophole.....NO!!!

The 1101 has a "line out" 3.5mm jack should you want to punch it out to a
tape recorder or amp. The radio's volume control does not affect this line
out.

Me, I'm happy with the 2 inch speaker. It's already there.

--Larry

I agree. I have the Kaito 1101 (don't have to use an adapter), and it's
been a great travel radio. I think the no-nonsense digital display of the
1101 is vastly superior to the faux analog 1103's.

Something you guys haven't mentioned is the bass boost for listening over
headphones. This thing will smoke the fm on the best Sony Walkmans, and it
gets very good shortwave on the whip.

-- Stinger

D. Martin December 9th 04 12:26 AM

I've got radios, and I've got headphones. I use the radios, the
headphones see no usage. I remember the first pair of headphones my
folks bought for me. I had wanted them, a friend had a pair, so I
figured I needed some too. That was a long time ago. Unless you can't
get any volume out of the speakers, I see no purpose for headphones.
Maybe, if my neighbors complained more often, I'd strap on a set. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Stinger December 9th 04 02:04 AM

"D. Martin" wrote in message
I've got radios, and I've got headphones. I use the radios, the
headphones see no usage. I remember the first pair of headphones my
folks bought for me. I had wanted them, a friend had a pair, so I
figured I needed some too. That was a long time ago. Unless you can't
get any volume out of the speakers, I see no purpose for headphones.
Maybe, if my neighbors complained more often, I'd strap on a set. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Well, Darren -- one word: PORTABILITY. I think you'd look pretty
ridiculous walking through an airport carrying your speakers to listen to a
radio. Speakers, of course, have their use. But then again, so do
headphones.

The Kaito is a very reasonable size, and gets better FM stereo than most
Walkmans I've heard. The SW is a real bonus as well.

-- Stinger

D. Martin December 9th 04 03:34 AM

Well, I'm in complete agreement concerning the Kaito 1101. The little
speaker is loud enough for me to hear in my work truck, and I like that.
There's a time and place for headphones, but hopefully, not if I can
help it. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html