RadioBanter

-   -   In praise of the Degen /KAITO 1101 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/46739-praise-degen-kaito-1101-a.html)

Larry Loeb December 6th 04 09:37 PM

In praise of the Degen /KAITO 1101

I've read the thread about someone getting the 1103 and their satisfaction
with it.

While I understand their satisfaction, may I suggest the digital 1101 as a
superior portable? I bought mine from Universal Radio for $55 and am just
pleased as punch with it. Not only do I have memory presets, but it has
rechargeable batteries included. (Most other portables I've seen like the
grundig/tecsun g1000 won't even work on rechargeables.) Not only that, but
it doesn't charge them until you tell it to. No ni-cad memory effect from
trickle charging here!

FWIW, I understand the difference between 20 microvolt sensitivity and .2
like my Satellit 800. I understand what a "real" antenna will do for you.

But, dadgummit, I can use this one very nicely for my routine listening and
not miss SSB at all. I had a Sony s100 portable for the last 15 years until
the audio started motorboating, and got used to this kind of radio being
available to me. Little did I know that I could replace it for less than
what a shop would charge me to diagnose the problem alone.

All in all, I really like this hummer. I am really impressed with the
quality of it as well. Although the plastic stand that pops out to support
it could be better.

And yes, they sell it on ebay if you must.

--Larry Loeb

Sanjaya December 6th 04 09:52 PM

"Larry Loeb" wrote in message ...
[...]

The Degen (Kaito) 1101, 1102, 1103 are all fine radios.
What's important is that you *use* it. Everyone has a favorite,
a tabletop, or portable... doesn't matter... if you are hearing
what you want to hear more power to you.

Glad you like it Larry. Good listening to you.

D. Martin December 7th 04 01:13 AM

I have a 1101, and I have to concur, it's an impressive radio amidst
it's inexpensiveness. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Larry Loeb December 7th 04 12:01 PM

On 12/6/04 4:52 PM, in article
et, "Sanjaya"
wrote:

The Degen (Kaito) 1101, 1102, 1103 are all fine radios.
What's important is that you *use* it. Everyone has a favorite,
a tabletop, or portable... doesn't matter... if you are hearing
what you want to hear more power to you.

Glad you like it Larry. Good listening to you.

That, I guess, is my point as well. This is a radio for *using*, not for
"praying" to in a shrine a.k.a. "listening post". You can take it with you
where you go and *have it available for use*. All the time.

Best,
Larry

dxAce December 7th 04 12:12 PM

Larry Loeb wrote:

On 12/6/04 4:52 PM, in article
et, "Sanjaya"
wrote:

The Degen (Kaito) 1101, 1102, 1103 are all fine radios.
What's important is that you *use* it. Everyone has a favorite,
a tabletop, or portable... doesn't matter... if you are hearing
what you want to hear more power to you.

Glad you like it Larry. Good listening to you.

That, I guess, is my point as well. This is a radio for *using*, not for
"praying" to in a shrine a.k.a. "listening post". You can take it with you
where you go and *have it available for use*. All the time.

Praying to? Shrine?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

D. Martin December 7th 04 01:49 PM

"In praise of" does connotate "idol worship", in a manner of speakintg.
That in and of itself is inappropriate. Nevertheless, I have a Grundig
960 Classic I'm thinking of selling. To hook your little Kaito up to
this Grundig would certainly increase it's listenability. Just a
thought. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Larry Loeb December 7th 04 02:32 PM

On 12/7/04 7:12 AM, in article , "dxAce"
wrote:

Larry Loeb wrote:

That, I guess, is my point as well. This is a radio for *using*, not for
"praying" to in a shrine a.k.a. "listening post". You can take it with you
where you go and *have it available for use*. All the time.

Praying to? Shrine?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Well, sort of what we used to do with mainframe computers.
You had to go to a designated place because it wasn't going to move.
You had to feed it what it wanted to get a result.

I have stationary radios attached to fixed antennas where I can hear the
Voice of the Aether come to me. My whole point was that a good portable
frees you from all that.

--Larry

[email protected] December 8th 04 12:20 AM

Or hooking the audio output of the Degen to a 'big' speaker, might
improve the listenability too at a much lower cost and with improved
sensitivity, than purchasing a 960 Classic. Ignore technological
improvements if you must, but never mistake 30-50 year old ancient
technology and capabilities with what is available now days and a much
much cheaper cost. Nostalgia YES, better specs.....outside of maybe
audiophole.....NO!!!

Larry Loeb December 8th 04 05:35 PM

On 12/7/04 7:20 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

Or hooking the audio output of the Degen to a 'big' speaker, might
improve the listenability too at a much lower cost and with improved
sensitivity, than purchasing a 960 Classic. Ignore technological
improvements if you must, but never mistake 30-50 year old ancient
technology and capabilities with what is available now days and a much
much cheaper cost. Nostalgia YES, better specs.....outside of maybe
audiophole.....NO!!!

The 1101 has a "line out" 3.5mm jack should you want to punch it out to a
tape recorder or amp. The radio's volume control does not affect this line
out.

Me, I'm happy with the 2 inch speaker. It's already there.

--Larry