Old December 8th 04, 02:17 AM
Serious Poster

Several Dec 7, 1941 documentaries on the History channel and D-Wings.

Also Amateur Radio has some special event stations on the air.
Special Events - December 2004 Pearl Harbor Day
07 December (Tuesday) — Pearl Harbor Day Operating frequencies will be
inside the General Class bands. Most likely band activity will be 20 Meters
around 14.250 to 14.320. Other bands are possible. CW activity will be near
the QRP calling frequencies * 7040, 10106, 14060, 21060, 28060. QSL requests
must be made with a stamped, self-addressed size 10 envelope or larger and
sent to W5KID c/o USS Kidd Museum, 305 South River Road, Baton Rouge, LA
70802. USS Kidd Amateur Radio Club, W5KID. An adjunct of the Baton Rouge
Amateur Radio Club Baton Rouge, Louisiana
http://www.lsu.edu/brarc/USS_Kidd.htm

Pearl Harbor Day
The Historical Electronics Museum ARC, (W3HEM, ex-W3GR) will operate a
special event station, callsign W2W, on 04-07 December 2004 to commemorate
the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. W2W operations will be from 1400 to 2200Z,
and will be in the General Class portions of the HF bands on SSB and CW. For
a certificate and a QSL card, send a 9x12 envelope with 60¢ postage. For
card only, send a business-size SASE. HEMARC W3HEM, PO Box 746 MS 4015,
Baltimore, MD 21203. Further information by e-mail to or on
our web page
www.qsl.net/w3gr.

During WWII, six of my family served in that war. Some did not come back.

In my neighborhood, almost every home eventually had a small blue flag with
a white star in a window, denoting a family member in the Armed Forces. Over
the next 4 years, many flags turned to gold, indicating a family member was
KIA.

US casualties were 292,131 KIA + 115,187 other causes = 407,318 deaths

Most historians agree that the WWII death toll world wide was about 50
million !!!
-------------------------------------

Some snips from FDR's speech Dec 8, 1941 that we all should read (I heard
his speech live on the radio when I was 10 years old).

"Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United
States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air
forces of the Empire of Japan."

"With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounded determination of
our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God."

Full speech at URL:
http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/infamy.html

Dec 7, 1941 Certainly a day to remember and learn from

I post, therefore I am

"Burr" wrote in message
No one has said anything about what today is.

IT'S PEARL HARBOR DAY!!!

--
Burr
Grundigs, FR200, YB400, Int.650 & Sat.800

Old December 8th 04, 03:15 AM

I was one month and two days old on that day.If you folks are ever in
the New Orleans area why not visit the D-Day Museum?
www.ddaymuseum.org
cuhulin

Old December 8th 04, 10:35 AM
dxAce

Burr wrote:

No one has said anything about what today is.

IT'S PEARL HARBOR DAY!!!

I didn't forget. I went out at dawn yesterday, put up my little flag and
saluted.

dxAce
Michigan
USA