Old December 11th 04, 02:29 PM
David

West Palm and Portland off the top of my head.

And a fine morning to you!

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:24:59 -0500, dxAce wrote:

David wrote:

How is this figure calculated. Total listens divided by 96?

Randi Rhodes is #1 in some markets in key demos, is she not?

Which market, 'tard boy...? The A&P?

LMAO at the stupid 'tard.

Now go tote your Sirius portable, and get the &^%$ out of rec.radio.shortwave.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 11th 04, 03:02 PM
David Eduardo

"David" wrote in message
How is this figure calculated. Total listens divided by 96?

How is what number calculated?

Randi Rhodes is #1 in some markets in key demos, is she not?

No. In Portland, she ties in 25-54 with other talk stations, but is not #1.
No where else except her old home makret of Palm Beach is she particularly
strong. She is, for example, around 20th in San Diego.

Remember what rich Wood said... it takes much more than a year to build to
potential any talk enterprise. AA is only 7 months old.

Old December 11th 04, 03:22 PM
David Eduardo

"David" wrote in message
West Palm and Portland off the top of my head.

She is not #1 in anything in either market. She is #1 talk show in WPB, but
not in Portland. That is far from being
#1 overall.

Old December 11th 04, 06:01 PM
Mike

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:01:02 +0000 (UTC), Tom Betz
wrote:

Salem is probably satisfied with what it makes from brokering the
time not filled with its third-tier conservative talkers.

I'll parade down Public Square in Cleveland without clothes if Salem
ever put AAR on ANY of their stations in ANY market.

Salem is running WHK/1420 (still legally WRMR, for whatever reason) as
a full-on conservative talker with the usual Salem suspects as its
hosts (Bennett, Prager, Hewitt, etc.). They have apparently started
running one brokered show weeknights at 9 or 10 PM for an hour, but
it's otherwise standard conservatalk fare.

Mike
Old December 11th 04, 07:37 PM
Rich Wood

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:01:35 -0500, Mike wrote:

I'll parade down Public Square in Cleveland without clothes if Salem
ever put AAR on ANY of their stations in ANY market.

While I have absolutely no problem with public nudity in appropriate
places, I think you're safe.

There are three reasons Air America is unlikely to appear on Salem
stations. One is that some are religious teaching stations. The other
is that they have their own network. Smart stations in companies with
networks don't run other networks' programming. It diminishes the
value of their product, especially if they feed a show at the same
time the competition does.

The third reason is the most important. Even secular programming on a
Salem station has to tow the political and "moral" line of the
company. At the WOR Radio Network I had several Salem stations
carrying Dr. Joy Browne (remember, a licensed clinical psychologist
who uses anatomical terms in clinical contexts). Virtually every
station dropped the show because of the occasionally sexual nature of
some of the calls.

When I look back on it, we never should have pitched the stations in
the first place, though we never expected them to be so squeamish
about issues that were important to young people asking about sex in
an age of AIDS. They'd never get the information they need on a Salem
station. It's just policy. Kids with raging hormones will be told to
abstain.

Rich

Old December 11th 04, 08:32 PM
Alabama Pete

Somebody is behind Air America..someone who hates America..the American
people will not support this station with advertising so WHO are the
traiters pushing this down our throats. Sponsors have waiting times of
YEARS to get on the shows of true americans like Paul Harvey, Rush
Limbaugh, Sean Hannity. This station needs to be investigated.

--
Visit the Christian Defense League Website
http://www.cdlreport.com/
Old December 11th 04, 08:56 PM
Mike

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:37:21 -0500, Rich Wood
wrote:

When I look back on it, we never should have pitched the stations in
the first place, though we never expected them to be so squeamish
about issues that were important to young people asking about sex in
an age of AIDS. They'd never get the information they need on a Salem
station. It's just policy. Kids with raging hormones will be told to
abstain.

There's a good reason Salem runs mostly its own programs on its
"conservative talk" stations (a la KRLA/L.A., and WHK/1420 here in
Ohio)...they have control over the content. They know what they're
getting...and they don't have to worry about the hosts being in line
with the corporate philosophy.

That may explain why even a very compatible show - ABC Radio's Sean
Hannity - is not carried by the aforementioned WHK/1420 in Cleveland.
Hannity is basically not cleared in Cleveland. Clear Channel has only
one talk station in the market - WTAM/1100 - which has established
local talk and sports programming and would only be able to clear him
late at night or on weekends. (They run local sports, either PBP or
talk, until at least 11 PM most nights.)

CC does clear Sean Hannity, with some success in the ratings, on
Akron's WHLO/640, but the station does not reach the majority of the
Cleveland market and makes no effort to target Cleveland.

So, you'd assume WHK would jump at the chance at clearing Hannity,
right? We still can't figure this one out...there may be clearance
issues regarding WHLO's signal in parts of the market.

Salem does carry one prominent non-Salem show on some of its stations
(Dallas, Chicago) - TRN's Michael Savage. If they're worried about
lack of control of the product, one would think they'd not even come
close to Savage...

Mike
Old December 12th 04, 12:10 AM
Rich Wood

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:32:10 GMT, Pastor Alabama Pete
wrote:

Somebody is behind Air America..someone who hates America..the American
people will not support this station with advertising so WHO are the
traiters pushing this down our throats.

No one's pushing anything down your throat unless you're opening wide.
No one is forcing you to listen to Air America.

Sponsors have waiting times of
YEARS to get on the shows of true americans like Paul Harvey, Rush
Limbaugh, Sean Hannity. This station needs to be investigated.

First, it's a network, not a station. Just because you disagree isn't
sufficient reason for an investigation unless Paul Cameron has some
free time on his hands and some religious fanatics to lend a hand.

It is difficult to get ad time on Paul Harvey. After all there are
only a few minutes of inventory each day.

As for the other "true" Americans, you can probably buy time on
Hannity at fire sale prices. These guys are entertainers with no
political science background and not much creativity. One note sambas.
Major advertisers don't go near these shows.

In the real sense of America I don't think you'd be considered a
"true" American with the kind of dictatorial, intolerant attitude you
exude here. I doubt you're read much history. That's strange because
history books usually have lots of pictures.

Rich
Old December 12th 04, 01:54 AM
Michael Lawson

"Mike" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:07:40 +0000 (UTC), Tom Betz
wrote:

It will be interesting to see how that has changed a year from now,
after the addition of DC, LA, Chicago, Cincinnati (and probably by
then, Detroit and Cleveland, at least).

If AAR is going to appear in Cleveland anytime soon, you know
something I don't. We've picked this apart elsewhere...there's just
no likely outlet for liberal talk in the market, save for distant
rimshot signals, or if Radio One brokered talk WERE/1300 flips.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if it flies here in Cincy,
even if Jerry Springer is going to do a show.

--Mike L.

Old December 12th 04, 02:59 PM
David

The have Orrick and GM and thag Greg Sinamone diet stuff and pretty
much the same ads as the Hate Radio programs.

The people on Air America not only do not hate the United States, they
actually understand the Constitution. The people you list, except for
Paul Harvey, are agents of the people we revolted against in 1775.
Their vision of America is pre-Teddy Roosevelt Gilded Age.