Old December 15th 04, 05:55 PM
Jon Lippert

Default Antenna question

Greetings! I have been thinking about putting up a 40 meter dipole on my roof.
My roof runs 68' long so it sounded good to me. My question is this. I was
thinking about instead just putting up a longwire there instead. Would the
antenna work better for general shortwave listening if I made it an end fed
antenna instead of a 40 meter dipole? If it would work just as well as the
dipole I will just do that, but if it would work better for shortwave as an end
fed antenna I would prefer to do that just now as we are in the season. Give
me the benefit of your knowledge. Thanks a bunch and have a great week! Jon.
Old December 15th 04, 06:02 PM
dxAce

Jon Lippert wrote:

Greetings! I have been thinking about putting up a 40 meter dipole on my roof.
My roof runs 68' long so it sounded good to me. My question is this. I was
thinking about instead just putting up a longwire there instead. Would the
antenna work better for general shortwave listening if I made it an end fed
antenna instead of a 40 meter dipole? If it would work just as well as the
dipole I will just do that, but if it would work better for shortwave as an end
fed antenna I would prefer to do that just now as we are in the season. Give
me the benefit of your knowledge. Thanks a bunch and have a great week! Jon.

I'd go with the end fed wire. A 40 meter dipole implies just that, it is for 40
meters.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old December 15th 04, 06:09 PM
Brian

"Jon Lippert" wrote in message
Greetings! I have been thinking about putting up a 40 meter dipole on my

roof.
My roof runs 68' long so it sounded good to me. My question is this. I

was
thinking about instead just putting up a longwire there instead. Would the
antenna work better for general shortwave listening if I made it an end

fed
antenna instead of a 40 meter dipole? If it would work just as well as

the
dipole I will just do that, but if it would work better for shortwave as

an end
fed antenna I would prefer to do that just now as we are in the season.

Give
me the benefit of your knowledge. Thanks a bunch and have a great week!

Jon.

I believe a longwire or random wire antenna will generally give better
results over a broad range of frequencies, where a dipole would be better
suited for receiving one particular desired band. I'm sure there are others
here more knowledgeable who can add to this in more detail. Good luck.

-Brian

Old December 15th 04, 06:45 PM
RHF

JL,

Another 'option' may be to build your Long Wire {actually
a 68 Foot Random Wire} Antenna as a Flat Horizontal Antenna
using a 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm TV Matching Transformer (Balun)
and 75 Ohm (TV) Coax Cable Feed-in-Line with a Ground Rod.
- Have one of the two Wire comming from the 300 Ohm End
of the TV Matching Transformer (Balun) 'connected' to the
Flat Horizontal {Random Wire} Antenna.
- At the End of the House/Roof that is the 'location for
your TV Matching Transformer (Balun) and Coax Cable
Feed-in-Line Point. Place an Eight Foot (8') Ground Rod
in the ground and Run/Route a #14 Stranded Wire Ground Wire
from the Ground Rod Up along side the House to the Roof
and 'connect' it to the "Other" of the two Wire coming from
the 300 Ohm End of the TV Matching Transformer (Balun).
- Run/Route the Coax Cable from the Roof down to your
Radio/Receivers.
- Enjoy Shortwave & Broadcast Listing )

R E A D :

* High-Z Shortwave Longwire Antenna with MLB and SO-239 Connector
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1659

* A 'passive' End-Feed Antenna for Shortwave Listening
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1709
..
..
All are WELCOME at the Shortwave Listener (SWL) "Antenna Ashram"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/502
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
[ With the a SWL Antenna of your own making. ]
..
..

The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded] SWL Loop Antennas {RHF} RHF Shortwave 23 November 3rd 04 01:38 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM
Newbie SWL question: Antenna geometry Hidalgo Shortwave 5 June 8th 04 03:47 AM