Old December 16th 04, 11:24 AM
peter berrett

Default surprising

Hi again

It is surprising that, having achieved independence, there hasn't been an
attempt to establish an international or at least regional short wave
service.

cheers Peter

From: "dxAce"
Subject: East Timor
Date: Thursday, 16 December 2004 8:19 AM

4nradio wrote:

Perhaps a clandestine operating from there will crop up, and that may be

the
renewed activity you're referring to.

Well, no, I was thinking more along the lines of a legitimate station since
East
Timor is independent of Indonesia these days.

I have a nice recording of the clannie
Radio Free Bougainville, which is perhaps my best catch from that region
(Indo/PNG). Another good one was RPDT Buol Toli Toli when it was being

heard
for a few months in 1993(?).

Guy

"dxAce" wrote in message

I have two QSL's for Dili from 1990. One is my own prepared card, and

the
other
is their own card.

I'd like to see renewed activity from E. Timor, but somehow I doubt that
it will
be an RRI station.

Old December 16th 04, 11:29 AM
dxAce

peter berrett wrote:

Hi again

It is surprising that, having achieved independence, there hasn't been an
attempt to establish an international or at least regional short wave
service.

Makes one wonder I suppose as to what happened to the RRI Dili equipment that
was in place. Did the RRI authorities move it out, or was it perhaps destroyed
during the problems there?

cheers Peter

Old December 16th 04, 04:06 PM
bpnjensen

Maybe they are doing just that now - or maybe they're going FM.

It doen't take a great capital outlay or a ton of time to set up a new
SW station capable of serving so small a nation. A slightly (or not)
modified ham rig and a decent set of wires would do it.

Bruce Jensen

Old December 19th 04, 01:39 AM
peter berrett

And the other point is that due to the number of people that seek QSL cards
a modest transmitting set-up can give the nation a voice that is
disproportionate to the size of the country.

cheers Peter

oups.com...

Old December 19th 04, 10:06 AM
Mark

Maybe, given the size of East Timor, there's not much point in a regional
shortwave station? Probably just an FM station instead.

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.