Old December 17th 04, 04:09 AM
jwilliam

Default Office Radio

I feel like apologizing right off the bat since I know this question
must be asked regularly in this group. I've searched the older posts
but still had questions.

I work in CT, about two hours from both NY and Boston. I'm on the
lower floor and get mediocre AM/FM reception in my office from my run
of the mill boom box on my desk. I was looking for a replacement
radio and in the course of doing a search online found listings for WB
radios. The idea of being able to receive not only the CBC news
(being an refugee Canadian) but also getting the BBC and other news
sources intrigued me. That of course left me with more questions than
answers.

What I'm looking for is a decent radio I can keep in my office. I
don't travel much so it probably won't move from its spot on my desk.
I'd like to keep the price below $200 if possible. I'm not sure what I
can expect to hear. Might I be able to pull in stations from Europe
with a radio in that price range or will I be limited to those that
are getting some form of enhanced reception on the eastern US
seaboard? Since I'll be at work I won't be spending much time
fiddling with dials to pull in too many really esoteric stations, but
getting news directly from the Middle East or Japan on my desktop
would be amazing.

From the research I've done I looked at the Sony 2010 (a used one,
although most of the ones on Ebay appear to be pretty old models, very
low serial numbers). I also saw good reviews for the Grundig YB
400PE, which I can pick up new for less than the used 2010. Any other
suggestions? Also, if reception turned out to be poor, would I most
likely have to run some sort of wire attenna along my wall to my
window for better reception?

Thanks in advance for any information. If I get responses fast enough
maybe I can sneak this in as a late Christmas request. heh heh...
Old December 17th 04, 05:19 AM
Tony Meloche

jwilliam wrote:

I feel like apologizing right off the bat since I know this question
must be asked regularly in this group. I've searched the older posts
but still had questions.

Well, I'm not the most knowledgeable person in this group, but I may
be able to offer some help.

I work in CT, about two hours from both NY and Boston. I'm on the
lower floor and get mediocre AM/FM reception in my office from my run
of the mill boom box on my desk.

The mediocre AM/FM respetion is almost certainly due to the fact
that you are in a steel frame building - no? That murders radio
reception sometimes (most of the time, in fact).

I was looking for a replacement
radio and in the course of doing a search online found listings for WB
radios. The idea of being able to receive not only the CBC news
(being an refugee Canadian) but also getting the BBC and other news
sources intrigued me. That of course left me with more questions than
answers.

The BBC would be no problem, if the type of radio you were looking
for was in your own home. CBC news is tougher - none of the few
Canadian SW outlets are terribly strong. Fine sometimes, weak or almost
nonexistent others. And I'm in a wood frame building in Michigan with a
longwire antenna hooked to a very sensitive receiver!

What I'm looking for is a decent radio I can keep in my office. I
don't travel much so it probably won't move from its spot on my desk.
I'd like to keep the price below $200 if possible. I'm not sure what I
can expect to hear. Might I be able to pull in stations from Europe
with a radio in that price range or will I be limited to those that
are getting some form of enhanced reception on the eastern US
seaboard?

With any of the radios you mention below, when reception conditions
are good, you can occasionally do all of the things you hope for. But
again - in that steel frame building . . .

Since I'll be at work I won't be spending much time
fiddling with dials to pull in too many really esoteric stations, but
getting news directly from the Middle East or Japan on my desktop
would be amazing.

See above comment.

From the research I've done I looked at the Sony 2010 (a used one,
although most of the ones on Ebay appear to be pretty old models, very
low serial numbers). I also saw good reviews for the Grundig YB
400PE, which I can pick up new for less than the used 2010.

Both are good radios in your price range, and might well give you the
results you are looking for on a whip antenna *when you are at home*.
But in a steel frame building, I doubt it.

Remember, others here may have more hopeful info for you - keep
checking this thread. And god luck to you, jwilliam.

Tony
Old December 17th 04, 12:47 PM
Your Friend Bill Everhart

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:09:13 -0500, jwilliam
wrote:

[...]

From the research I've done I looked at the Sony 2010 (a used one,
although most of the ones on Ebay appear to be pretty old models, very
low serial numbers). I also saw good reviews for the Grundig YB
400PE, which I can pick up new for less than the used 2010. Any other
suggestions? Also, if reception turned out to be poor, would I most
likely have to run some sort of wire attenna along my wall to my
window for better reception?

Thanks in advance for any information. If I get responses fast enough
maybe I can sneak this in as a late Christmas request. heh heh...

I think you should consider this radio:

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=177

Good luck, B e
Old December 17th 04, 01:00 PM
dxAce

wrote:

[...]

From the research I've done I looked at the Sony 2010 (a used one,
although most of the ones on Ebay appear to be pretty old models, very
low serial numbers). I also saw good reviews for the Grundig YB
400PE, which I can pick up new for less than the used 2010. Any other
suggestions? Also, if reception turned out to be poor, would I most
likely have to run some sort of wire attenna along my wall to my
window for better reception?

Thanks in advance for any information. If I get responses fast enough
maybe I can sneak this in as a late Christmas request. heh heh...

I think you should consider this radio:

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=177

It doesn't cover shortwave.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 17th 04, 01:34 PM
David

If you have a South facing window you may want to consider an XM
boombox. Flawless reception, including the BBC World Service 24/7.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:09:13 -0500, jwilliam

Old December 17th 04, 02:33 PM
dxAce

David wrote:

If you have a South facing window you may want to consider an XM
boombox. Flawless reception, including the BBC World Service 24/7.

Not shortwave... not even close.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:09:13 -0500, jwilliam

Old December 17th 04, 03:07 PM
Mark S. Holden

wrote:

[...]

From the research I've done I looked at the Sony 2010 (a used one,
although most of the ones on Ebay appear to be pretty old models, very
low serial numbers). I also saw good reviews for the Grundig YB
400PE, which I can pick up new for less than the used 2010. Any other
suggestions? Also, if reception turned out to be poor, would I most
likely have to run some sort of wire attenna along my wall to my
window for better reception?

Thanks in advance for any information. If I get responses fast enough
maybe I can sneak this in as a late Christmas request. heh heh...

I think you should consider this radio:

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=177

It doesn't cover shortwave.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Interesting that Tivoli has done a radio with digital tuning though.

I like the vernier dial on my Tivoli PAL, but unfortunately, the IF filters are wide enough that if you have a strong signal on each side of the one you want, the radio skips from one strong signal to the next. Its' vernier is more of a look and feel
thing than a useful feature.

The audio is beautiful, but it's not a radio I'd use for challenging signals.

I've got experience with radios in office buildings, so I'll be sending a reply about suitable radios and antennas in a couple hours.
Old December 17th 04, 04:20 PM
jwilliam

Tony Meloche wrote:
jwilliam wrote:

[...]

From the research I've done I looked at the Sony 2010 (a used one,
although most of the ones on Ebay appear to be pretty old models,

very
low serial numbers). I also saw good reviews for the Grundig YB
400PE, which I can pick up new for less than the used 2010.

Both are good radios in your price range, and might well give you the
results you are looking for on a whip antenna *when you are at home*.

But in a steel frame building, I doubt it.

Remember, others here may have more hopeful info for you - keep
checking this thread. And god luck to you, jwilliam.

Tony

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I may have overstated the poor
quality of AM/FM reception in my office. I can get WFAN pretty
clearly, ESPN comes in faint and with static, which probably speaks
more to the relative strength of their signal than to any issues with
reception. I've also added the Sony 7600GR to my list of possibilities
after reading some more reviews.

Jon

Old December 17th 04, 04:30 PM
johndobbs

jwilliam wrote:
[...]

From the research I've done I looked at the Sony 2010 (a used one,
although most of the ones on Ebay appear to be pretty old models,

very
low serial numbers). I also saw good reviews for the Grundig YB
400PE, which I can pick up new for less than the used 2010. Any

other
suggestions? Also, if reception turned out to be poor, would I most
likely have to run some sort of wire attenna along my wall to my
window for better reception?

Thanks in advance for any information. If I get responses fast

enough
maybe I can sneak this in as a late Christmas request. heh heh...

If you're getting mediocre performance in your office from a boom box
at this time, you'll probably be getting the same type reception even
from an upscale receiver. The problem is you need to get the antenna
outside of the building in order for either radio to receive better.
Having said that -- it's still fun (and necessary) to try. I've tried
several radios in my office/building enviroment and settled on the Sony
7600GR. I especially like the 7600GR because it has sync detect
capabilities and I've found just this alone will bypass 80% of any
whines from office equipments, at least in my enviroment. Understand
though: there is an endless debate as to performance of three
radios....YB400, Sangean 909/DX398, and the 7600GR. All three are great
"portables" -- and it depends on your personal preferences and needs as
to which is the best. Regardless, you WON'T go wrong with any of these
3, including the 7600GR. If you check around (and from other posters on
this board), a 7600GR can be had for about 130 dollars. A GREAT price!
(Normally sells for about 170 dollars or so). It does NOT come with an
AC adaptor. The Sony 2010 is a great radio of course, but in my case,
I've found it a bit large for work use -- just my opinion.

As for receiving the CBC and shortwave in general in an office
enviroment during day hours; well maybe not much luck, but there are
many foreign relays via Canadian transmitters that you should have no
problem receiving in an office. I'm in northern Ohio and they come in
like local at work with the whip simply extended. (I work nights by the
way). Right now, while typing this at home, I'm listening to Radio
Austria on 13675 which is relayed through Canada. You "should" be able
to pick this station up during the day hours while at work. As for
Canadian broadcasts, you still have Radio Canada Internationl, and
there's also a neat little frequency during the day hours, 6.070 that
is a simulcast of CFRB and you have a good opportunity of picking that
up during day hours in an office.

Well, too much said already. My recommendation would be to try the Sony
7600GR, especially if you shop around a little and get that 130 dollar
price. A very good deal and you won't be disappointed. Let us know if
you get any SW radio. Good luck!!

Old December 17th 04, 05:34 PM

You are fighting at least two problems: Noise and trying to get a
signal through a steel framed building. If you have a window office,
then try what I did with a 2010. Place the radio as close to the
window as possible to get away from pc and flourescent light noise.
Run a thin wire around the perimeter of the window, held in place with
suctioncup cupholders. Magnet wire works great and is virtually
invisible.

You should have similar results with a YB400PE or one of the Degen or
Kaito 1103 radios.