Old December 18th 04, 03:55 AM
running dogg

Default Is the US jamming Radio Havana?

I happened across the English language service of Radio Habana Cuba on
6000 khz around 0330, and I noticed strong interference. Tuning to 5995
I discovered a VERY strong signal in Spanish. Passport says that the VOA
transmitter at Delano, California relays the BBC in Spanish to Central
America between 0300-0400. The fact of the transmitter being only 150
miles away from me is why the signal is so strong. VOA has to know that
RHC is broadcasting to NAm during that time. Is this a deliberate
attempt by the US govt to jam RHC during a popular time for listening?
(I usually listen to the BBC's The World Today at 0300 on 5975 or 9525
but tonight (Saturday morning world day) they only have a 5 minute news
bulletin because it's Saturday, so I was checking out some other English
SW broadcasts.)

Old December 20th 04, 10:52 PM
uncle arnie

No jamming noticed on 6000 khz at about the time you note. I wonder if it
was a local thing for you. I'm at 53 deg N, 102 W roughly. Central Sask
Canada.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:55 pm, running dogg posted to
rec.radio.shortwave: %MM

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers
=-----

Old December 21st 04, 12:38 AM
running dogg

uncle arnie wrote:

No jamming noticed on 6000 khz at about the time you note. I wonder if it
was a local thing for you. I'm at 53 deg N, 102 W roughly. Central Sask
Canada.

Delano is south of my location, and the transmission is to Central
America. So it probably wouldn't be heard up in Canada. But it WOULD be
heard throughout much of the area that RHC is trying to cover.

Old December 21st 04, 01:18 AM

VOA has to know that
RHC is broadcasting to NAm during that time. Is this a deliberate
attempt by the US govt to jam RHC during a popular time for listening?

Well, we could also surmise that RHC has to know that VOA/BBC is
broadcasting to Central America during this time. So perhaps it's a
deliberate attempt by the Cuban government to jam BBC during a popular
time for listening.

Of course, there is yet a third explanation. I suspect that BBC is
difficult to hear near RHC's transmitters on a receiver without fairly
good selectivity, just as RHC is difficult to hear near Delano on a
receiver without fairly good selectivity. But as an intentional
jamming technique, broadcasting an AM signal 5 KHz away from the
station you're jamming isn't very cost effective. So the simpler
explanation is that both broadcasters are doing their best to be heard
on a fairly crowded band.

Old December 21st 04, 01:22 AM
Radio Flyer

wrote in message
ps.com...
VOA has to know that

RHC is broadcasting to NAm during that time. Is this a deliberate
attempt by the US govt to jam RHC during a popular time for listening?

I would bet good money that it is not an intentional jam by the US govt.
There is simply no reason for it to be so. The US govt will only jam if
there is a very very good reason. We do not want to deal with an incident
for no reason.

Old December 21st 04, 07:47 PM
uncle arnie

I can hear the Delano transmitter at various times/freqs, though I don't
usually bother much with N. Amer. broadcasts.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:38 pm, running dogg posted to
rec.radio.shortwave: %MM

Old December 22nd 04, 05:01 PM
bpnjensen

Besides, RHC is on so many channels that are essentially clear, it
makes no difference if one channel is QRMed or not.

And, one can usually hear RHC in NA whether they are broadcasting to NA
or not.

BJ