Old December 27th 04, 12:14 PM
dxAce

"D. Martin" wrote:

Our media, in the USA, dropped the ball, on this event. I agree with
The Drudge Report, it's almost unforgivable, the lack of initial
coverage. Darren

OK, so don't forgive them. Buy a shortwave radio. I can say that I certainly
heard a lot here even on AM radio.

What sort of coverage were you looking for, exactly?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 27th 04, 12:59 PM
D. Martin

Shortwave and AM radio are my primary sources for information. Both
venues had adequate coverage. The mainstream press, consisting of
newsprint and television, ignored this, at least initially. What do I
believe their professional obligation is? I think one of the largest
quakes in the last century is newsworthy. That's all. I expect them to
do their job. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Old December 27th 04, 01:15 PM
dxAce

"D. Martin" wrote:

Shortwave and AM radio are my primary sources for information. Both
venues had adequate coverage. The mainstream press, consisting of
newsprint and television, ignored this, at least initially. What do I
believe their professional obligation is? I think one of the largest
quakes in the last century is newsworthy. That's all. I expect them to
do their job. Darren

Let me now where you live. I'll contact your local paper and make sure they all
come in early and publish a special edition just for you. It'll be at your door
straight away next time.

That might work.

With regards to TV, they have to get people to the scene and begin reporting.
Sometimes not an easy thing to do when total hell has broken out.

I can detect that you are a dues paying member of the instant gratification age.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 27th 04, 01:27 PM
dxAce

Radioman390 wrote:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...N_zg&refer=aus
tralia

SOS?

I don't think SOS is used to often these days.

But by all means, keep listening.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 27th 04, 01:34 PM
D. Martin

You sir, are particularly sinical. We, as a society, tout ourselves as
an advanced, and technology savvy people. I expect farmers to farm,
plumbers to plum, and reporters to report. I do my job, without excuse,
garnering no criticism. I admire responsibility. People are not
universally driven by a sense of duty, and we are the worse for that.

Old December 27th 04, 01:54 PM
dxAce

"D. Martin" wrote:

You sir, are particularly sinical. We, as a society, tout ourselves as
an advanced, and technology savvy people. I expect farmers to farm,
plumbers to plum, and reporters to report. I do my job, without excuse,
garnering no criticism. I admire responsibility. People are not
universally driven by a sense of duty, and we are the worse for that.
Darren

Cynical? No, I was merely trying to be realistic.

Try it!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 27th 04, 05:58 PM
David Eduardo

"D. Martin" wrote in message
You sir, are particularly sinical. We, as a society, tout ourselves as
an advanced, and technology savvy people. I expect farmers to farm,
plumbers to plum, and reporters to report. I do my job, without excuse,
garnering no criticism. I admire responsibility. People are not
universally driven by a sense of duty, and we are the worse for that.

If disaster sites are remote, and local communications are compromised by
the disaster, there is no way to report until alternate transportation is
available. Some of the news organizations chartered helicopters and such,
and arrived as soon as it was physically possible. News organizations do not
customarily have bureaus on beaches.

I'll bet the sidebar story of how the news organizations got film and
reports so fast would amaze us all... and would be most worthy of praise,
not criticism by the ill-informed. As another poster said, you sound like a
proponent of instant gratification.

Old December 27th 04, 07:28 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
D. Martin wrote:
Shortwave and AM radio are my primary sources for information. Both
venues had adequate coverage. The mainstream press, consisting of
newsprint and television, ignored this, at least initially. What do I
believe their professional obligation is? I think one of the largest
quakes in the last century is newsworthy. That's all. I expect them to
do their job. Darren

Interesting, My local paper, the Seattle Times, covered the earthquake
with a preliminary report in their Sunday edition. Since the quake
happened at about 1:00 UTC and the paper gets delivered about 13:00 UTC,
I was a bit surprised. Monday morning's paper has pictures on page 1,
and several pages of articles inside.

Then again, earthquakes are news in in the Pacific Northwest. There's a
subduction zone, just like the one at Sumatra, at the Pacific Coast which
gave the area a 9.0 back in the early 1700's. (The expected repeat is
simply refered to here as "The Big One"). And there's enough connection
to Alaska that the one there in the early 1960's is well remembered.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old December 28th 04, 12:32 AM
D. Martin

This post occurred here, in this group, Dec.24th. That's when I first
learned of the quake, and potential disaster. A previous poster
mentioned he had gotten wind of it on his shortwave. Today is the 27th.
People I've spoken with today hadn't heard of this event yet. Simply
because their primary delivery system of information is television. They
are not educating the people, as is their obligation. That's my only
contention. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Old December 28th 04, 12:48 AM
dxAce

"D. Martin" wrote:

This post occurred here, in this group, Dec.24th. That's when I first
learned of the quake, and potential disaster. A previous poster
mentioned he had gotten wind of it on his shortwave. Today is the 27th.
People I've spoken with today hadn't heard of this event yet. Simply
because their primary delivery system of information is television. They
are not educating the people, as is their obligation. That's my only
contention. Darren

It's all over TV. Perhaps the people you speak of lack simple comprehension
skills?

Maybe they need to turn off the sports channel?

dxAce
Michigan
USA