Old December 31st 04, 02:36 AM
Al Patrick

I saw something a couple of days ago on a local news channel that said,
"according to satellite photos . . . ." I think they actually showed
shots of it as it was happening. This made me think that HAARP just
*may* have had something to do with it. They knew exactly where to have
the satellite pointed / focused!

Am I wrong (yes, I asked for it then! ;-) ) in this assumption or do
they have so many satellites with so many cameras that most of the earth
can be covered at any one time? I also realize it took hours (6 to 12)
for it to reach some areas and they had time to focus on those areas
based on the direction it was heading.

Thanks,

Al

================

running dogg wrote:

Last I heard (from my local TV news) was 115,000. I haven't had a chance
to check Radio Australia or the BBC yet. If Drudge is right (and this is
one of the times where he very well could be) it would be one of the
worst disasters in the recorded history of mankind. The atomic bombing
of Hiroshima killed 250,000. If the 400,000 toll is doubled by massive
epidemics, it would be in the range of the Tangshan earthquake in 1976,
which at 800,000 dead was the deadliest natural disaster in human
history.

Old December 31st 04, 02:42 AM
Al Patrick

Brian Hill wrote:

"Al Patrick" wrote in message

We ain't seen nothing yet, compared to the BIG one!

Revelation 16:18, KJV "And there were voices, and thunders, and
lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men
were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great."

Read verse 21 - Amplified Bible, "21 ?And great (excessively
oppressive) hailstones, as heavy as a talent [between fifty and sixty
pounds], of immense size, fell from the sky on the people; and men
blasphemed God for the plague of the hail, so very great was [the
torture] of that plague. ?[Exod. 9:23.]"

Al

Whens that one gonna happen Al?

B.H.

Not tonight -- I hope! ;-)
Old December 31st 04, 05:07 AM
Telamon

In article , running dogg wrote:

Frank White wrote:

In article ,
says...

Many have estimated that whatever the toll from the tsunami roughly an
equal amount may die from disease. Are we headed toward one million for
a toll of it all? We need to keep the survivors - and the volunteers
and other workers - in our prayers.

Al

Hear hear.

Reports are that the lack of clean water and sanitation
facilities are starting to spread dysentary and sickness
among the survivors, already. In a week or two, things
may be even more horrific than now.

FW

I've heard that five million people are imperiled. And that's probably a
low number. And these are people whose immune systems probably weren't
in top shape to begin with. This has the potential to be the worst
natural disaster in terms of deaths in human history, exempting plagues.
Before the signal was wiped out by local QRM, I heard the BBC say last
night (yesterday morning world time) that only a trickle of aid has
gotten to only a small portion of survivors. Most of the survivors are
on their own. Some haven't eaten since the tsunami hit, which weakens
their immune systems even more than they already were. I expect water
borne sicknesses to quickly kill many thousands, perhaps even a million,
even two million.

People can easily go a few weeks without food depending on how fat they
are but most can only go a few days without drinking water depending on
how hot it is and whether they are exerting themselves.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old December 31st 04, 04:52 PM
Al Patrick

running dogg wrote:

I've heard that five million people are imperiled. And that's probably a
low number. And these are people whose immune systems probably weren't
in top shape to begin with. This has the potential to be the worst
natural disaster in terms of deaths in human history, exempting plagues.
Before the signal was wiped out by local QRM, I heard the BBC say last
night (yesterday morning world time) that only a trickle of aid has
gotten to only a small portion of survivors. Most of the survivors are
on their own. Some haven't eaten since the tsunami hit, which weakens
their immune systems even more than they already were. I expect water
borne sicknesses to quickly kill many thousands, perhaps even a million,
even two million.

There may be a lesson to be learned here. It *could* happen here
(wherever here is to any reader of this NG) and we should do what we can
while we can to "be prepared" as the Boy Scouts would say.

I realize it wouldn't do much good to have had a year's supply of stored
food and water, along with medical supplies, etc., etc., etc., if they
were near the water's edge when a Tsunami / Tidal Wave hit. However,
not all of us live on the brink of a 7000 mile pond or at sea level.
Even then and there some buried supplies might have survived. Think
about it!

There WILL be an emergency of some kind in the lives of most of us; but
someone has said, "There is no emergency to him who is prepared!" We
can lessen the number of "emergencies" that come our way be preparing
for as many eventualities as possible.

Al
Old December 31st 04, 06:40 PM
Frank White

In article , says...

running dogg wrote:

[...]

This is one of the things we discuss a lot over on misc.survivalism
(in among the name calling, flame wars, OT posts, and rampant egos.
It reminds me so much of this place...). What is a danger, and
how do you prepare for it? We consider pandemics, earthquakes,
blizzard, forest fire, the Yellowstone supervolcano and the
massive chunks of the Canary Islands (in the Atlantic) and the
Hawaiian Islands (in the Pacific) that are at risk of breaking
loose and sending walls of water even HIGHER than the Sumartarn
quake at their respective shores...

Of course, one of the first steps in being prepared for disaster is
being informed. And having a good radio - especially a shortwave
one so you can hear news that the American media doesn't report -
is at the top of the list for that...

FW

Old December 31st 04, 07:28 PM
Offbreed

Frank White wrote:

massive chunks of the Canary Islands (in the Atlantic) and the
Hawaiian Islands (in the Pacific) that are at risk of breaking
loose and sending walls of water even HIGHER than the Sumartarn
quake at their respective shores...

URL of one of the sites discussing Hawaii land slides and tsunamis:

http://www.mbari.org/volcanism/Hawaii/HR-Landslides.htm

A seamount can also have a tsunami producing land slide.

Animated GIF of the tsunami expected when the Cascadia subduction fault
next acts up. Part of it is pointed straight at Seattle.

http://quake.usgs.gov/tsunami/GIFanimation.html

Averages 800 yrs. Last major quake was 700 yrs ago.
Old January 4th 05, 12:01 AM
Harveyat8c43z0

Frank White wrote:

massive chunks of the Canary Islands (in the Atlantic) and the
Hawaiian Islands (in the Pacific) that are at risk of breaking
loose and sending walls of water even HIGHER than the Sumartarn
quake at their respective shores...

the above is true is IF..
Absolutely everything went "wrong" & the wholw shootin match went into the
ocean
in a short short time..
; My guess is that it ( Canary Islands landslide )
would occurr in " chunks," over several days / Weeks / Months ( ??) & NOT
all at once..( Seconds 1 minute )

URL of one of the sites discussing Hawaii land slides and tsunamis:

http://www.mbari.org/volcanism/Hawaii/HR-Landslides.htm

A seamount can also have a tsunami producing land slide.

Animated GIF of the tsunami expected when the Cascadia subduction fault
next acts up. Part of it is pointed straight at Seattle.

http://quake.usgs.gov/tsunami/GIFanimation.html

Very good sites, thank you Frank.

Averages 800 yrs. Last major quake was 700 yrs ago.

- STILL be a buyer of shorefront property ....
:-)

Old January 4th 05, 01:21 AM
Harveyat8c43z0

Here's the Link..

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/ne....php?id=111574

Drudge now has a figure of 400,000 up due to reports from Indonesia, based
upon
aerial surveillance.

The magnitude of this catastrophe is beyond comprehension.

Whatever your belief, think of those who have perished, and those who survive
cope with the enormity of the situation.

dxAce
Michigan
USA