Old January 5th 05, 11:51 AM
dxAce

Default BBC Silence

From Chris Greenway in the UK and others it would appear that BBC WS and BBC
domestic outlets will observe 3 minutes of silence today (Wednesday, 5 January)
at 1200-1203 in remembrance of the earthquake/tsunami victims.

We'll have to see how this works out on BBC WS.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 5th 05, 01:03 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

From Chris Greenway in the UK and others it would appear that BBC WS and BBC
domestic outlets will observe 3 minutes of silence today (Wednesday, 5 January)
at 1200-1203 in remembrance of the earthquake/tsunami victims.

We'll have to see how this works out on BBC WS.

12 Chimes of Big Ben, then 3 minutes of silence observed on 6195 at 1200, with
brief interruption by the announcer to mention the 3 minutes of silence.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 6th 05, 08:51 AM
Joel Rubin

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 05:51:28 -0500, dxAce wrote:

From Chris Greenway in the UK and others it would appear that BBC WS and BBC
domestic outlets will observe 3 minutes of silence today (Wednesday, 5 January)
at 1200-1203 in remembrance of the earthquake/tsunami victims.

We'll have to see how this works out on BBC WS.

I heard this was an EU initiative. I don't know if RFI or DW, for
example, observed the silence (if they did) at 1200 GMT or 1200 CET
(GMT +1).

Old January 6th 05, 11:00 AM
Des Small

Joel Rubin writes:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 05:51:28 -0500, dxAce wrote:

From Chris Greenway in the UK and others it would appear that BBC WS and BBC
domestic outlets will observe 3 minutes of silence today (Wednesday, 5 January)
at 1200-1203 in remembrance of the earthquake/tsunami victims.

We'll have to see how this works out on BBC WS.

I heard this was an EU initiative. I don't know if RFI or DW, for
example, observed the silence (if they did) at 1200 GMT or 1200 CET
(GMT +1).

Sweden and Norway observed the silence at noon CET, so I'd imagine
local noons were in effect everywhere.

Des
--
"[T]he structural trend in linguistics which took root with the
International Congresses of the twenties and early thirties [...] had