Old January 7th 05, 04:35 AM
m II

Default Antenna Tuner -vs- Passive Preselector...

-=jd=- wrote:
What's the difference?

I can find plenty of web pages with various antenna tuner plans, but I
can't find any for a "passive" pre-selector. There's plenty of pages that
mention "passive preselector", but no plans/designs or discussions of
plans/designs. For the purposes of SWL, is there an appreciable difference
between the two (tuner & preselector)?

I haven't yet found anything that details the differences, that's why I'm
axin'. I've got two air-var caps, two 11-pos switches, an abundance of 24ga
magnet wire and an urge to build something & perhaps learn from the
process...

I've also found some cheap (but perfect for the job) project boxes. Check a
crafts store (the local chain here is "Michaels") for cheap metal lunch-box
type boxes. They have a few different sizes and shapes; they're easy to
cut/drill; and they come with a hinged lid and a clasp - all in plain
white.

-=jd=-

I don't know if these are passive enough or not.

http://www.cebik.com/link/link.html

http://voices38.com/html/swpreselector.html

many links he

http://www.dobe.com/wts/funk/page6.html

mike

--
The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so
much that ain't so.

~Josh Billings
Old January 7th 05, 05:10 AM
m II

-=jd=- wrote:

Some links buried in previous post

http://www.mindspring.com/~brucec/coupler.htm
http://www.dobe.com/wts/funk/tuner.html
http://www.dobe.com/wts/funk/preslctr.txt

http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit...activeant.html

whoops...damn transistor..sorry

mike
Old January 7th 05, 05:49 AM
m II

-=jd=- wrote:

I've got two air-var caps, two 11-pos switches

Coincidence? check out the positions on this switch. Weird...

http://www.mindspring.com/~brucec/coupler.gif

Sorry for the dxAce style multi postings in the same thread. My recent
massive brain hemorrhage has brought me down a bit closer to his level.

mike

Old January 7th 05, 06:49 AM
RHF

M II,
..
Per-chance you should become a Member [Join] of the
"Experts Exchange" = http://www.experts-exchange.com/
..
just being helpful ~ RHF
..

Old January 7th 05, 08:09 AM
m II

RHF wrote:

M II,
.
Per-chance you should become a Member [Join] of the
"Experts Exchange" = http://www.experts-exchange.com/
.
just being helpful ~ RHF
.

I have a fear of being hysterically laughed at.

That, and judging by how a certain 'expert' behaves on this group, I'd
hate to think what a REAL one would act like. One shudders at the thought..

mike (the meek) II

Old January 8th 05, 09:14 AM
m II

-=jd=- wrote:
guess I'll try one each of the Pi, T and L networks to see if one works
particularly better with my set-up. The hardest part for me is winding the
coil as I will inevitably lose count of the windings every other tap, no
matter how careful I think I am.

I know that feeling. Last time I cut thin but long pieces of paper and stuck
them in as I wound. The wire will pinch the paper to the form. After it's
all wound and done, pull out the paper strips. Write down the # turns on the
strips at each tap as you go.

fixed font 'art'

| | |paper strips
| | |
WWWWWWWWWW|WWWWWW|WWWWWWWWWWWWWW|WWWWWWWWWWW windings
|___ |___ |___ exagerated space between
-------------------------------------------- form and coil..does not
| exist in reality.

FORM |

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM NOT exagerated space

^^^^Windings^^^^

mike

Old January 8th 05, 03:46 PM
RHF

JD,
..
Here is a Compilation of Antenna Tuner ? -=V=- Pre-Selector ? Messages.

..
The Age Old SWL'ers Question:
Do I Need a Antenna Tuner ? -or- a Pre-Selector ?
..
Two Random Wire Antenna "Pre-Selectors"
.. . . Its About Your Shortwave Listening Habits and the Bands
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1748
..
Pre-Selectors / Antenna Tuners / Active Antennas
.. . . and the Low Noise Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1780
..
What is the best "Antenna Tuner" for SWL ?
..
SWL - Which MFJ Antenna Tuner or Pre-Selector ?
..
Antenna Tuner, Radio Pre-Selector, What is the Difference ?
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
All are WELCOME at the Shortwave Listener (SWL) "Antenna Ashram"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/502
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
[ With the a Shortwave Listener 'SWL' Antenna of your own making.]
..
..

REVIEW: AOR LA-350 ACTIVE LOOP ANTENNA Steve Shortwave 2 October 15th 04 07:08 PM
Antenna tuner is nessasry for TWO-TURN coax loop?? WonYong,Lee Antenna 1 June 22nd 04 01:40 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 10:36 AM
Antenna, 9:1 Transformer and Antenna Tuner DJB Shortwave 2 January 24th 04 05:33 AM
Tuner detunes antenna David Cook Antenna 2 July 11th 03 09:42 PM