RadioBanter

-   -   The BBC "noise" is back (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/47414-bbc-%22noise%22-back.html)

running dogg January 9th 05 03:20 AM

The BBC "noise" is back

I just tuned into the BBC (it's just after 0300 UTC as I write this) and
both 5975 and 9525 are covered up by that noise again. The one that
sounds like it's flourescent light QRM. The one that suddenly appeared
just after Christmas, then disappeared just after New Years, but now is
back. Whoever is doing this is quite close, RF wise, to my Northern
California location; I hear the noise even when I have the radio in a
position that is usually a "dead spot". It totally wipes out the BBC's
signal. I'm SURE this isn't a mixing product or front end overloading;
it doesn't appear on the stations on either side of the BBC's channel.
Is anybody else hearing this? I know that Arnie and Mark Zenier heard it
last time, so I'm not going crazy. Tune in to the BBC on 5975 and 9525
around 0300, just to see if you hear it. I'd like to know if more
easterly DXers like Ace can hear this and what they make of it.

Mark Zenier January 9th 05 08:21 PM

In article , running dogg wrote:
[...]

So, "tote your portable ;-)". Well, I mean that in the real sense of
taking a radio around your neighborhood and seeing if it's local or
outside the area. If you don't have a portable shortwave, see if you
can pick it up on the high end of the AM band. Back when I really
had a problem, I found that it was the neighbor's line doubled back
projection TV when somebody was playing with the game console. (That,
and a corroded antenna wire).

The stuff I get now sounds like one or more computer monitor or TV
horizontal scan circuits, so I expect that one of the neighbors is
leaving their TV on. Or got a new set or 'puter for Xmas. Since they
run on (sort of) standard frequencies, the interference can seem the
same all around the world, but comes from a multitude of local sources
instead of one very powerful distant one. (OTOH, if it's drifty,
suspect those damn compact fluorescent lamps).

9525 has been so variable lately. Last Friday was strong all evening
until signoff at 04:00, but other nights last week were just horrible.
Makes me wonder if the folks in Florida let their antenna fall in the
swamp over Xmas vacation.

Keep track of the signal strength. The interference may be there all
along but doesn't really have an impact unless the signals are down
around S2-3.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

[email protected] January 9th 05 10:55 PM

I listened to the BBC on 5975 from 00:00~04:00 lastnight, 2005 01 09,
and the only interence I had was a Low Preasure Sodium outdoor light
that is failing. It is about 300' from me and is getting worse every
night.
I guess I need to borrow a BB riffle.
Terry

Telamon January 9th 05 11:07 PM

In article .com,
wrote:

I listened to the BBC on 5975 from 00:00~04:00 lastnight, 2005 01 09,
and the only interence I had was a Low Preasure Sodium outdoor light
that is failing. It is about 300' from me and is getting worse every
night. I guess I need to borrow a BB riffle. Terry

The electric company has a maintenance number for you to call or you
can probably to go a web site and report the outage. Go out side and
see if there is a pole number. If you can't find a number then just
give an address it is in front of and a description of the problem such
as cycling on and off. They fix the street lights around here in one to
two days usually.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

dxAce January 9th 05 11:12 PM

Telamon wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

I listened to the BBC on 5975 from 00:00~04:00 lastnight, 2005 01 09,
and the only interence I had was a Low Preasure Sodium outdoor light
that is failing. It is about 300' from me and is getting worse every
night. I guess I need to borrow a BB riffle. Terry

The electric company has a maintenance number for you to call or you
can probably to go a web site and report the outage. Go out side and
see if there is a pole number. If you can't find a number then just
give an address it is in front of and a description of the problem such
as cycling on and off. They fix the street lights around here in one to
two days usually.

Yep, and if it's a real problem the FCC requires them to get it fixed... my
local power company spent over $5k this fall just to bring in a guy from
Maryland to show the folks here how to find the problems I complain about!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Telamon January 9th 05 11:16 PM

In article , dxAce
wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

In addition to that the street light is a road safety issue that
obligates either the city, country, power company or whomever owns it
to get it repaired quickly. It will get fixed soon for legal reasons.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

[email protected] January 10th 05 01:07 PM

Been there done that. The last one failed
about 10 years ago and the utiltiy did
nothing until it died completly.
And the comment about a BB riffle was a
joke.
As far as trying to get the FCC to do anything,
someone is smoking bad dope.
The FCC is out of the enforcement business,
unless of course a young lady manages to have a
"Wardroboe malfunction", or a DJ gets too
gross.
We have some really cold weather moving in
and that will kill it. It was warm the last 2 nights
and the light worked OK. When the temp drops
below freezing, it starts strobing, and the colder
it gets, the faster the strobe. The last one went the
same way.
Terry

[email protected] January 10th 05 01:09 PM

The FCC may have rules on paper, but they don't
seem interested or able to enforce them. You are
very luck your utiltiy even tries to "do right".
As I pointed out in another post, the light
will fail very soon now that some seriuos cold is
coming.
Terry

dxAce January 10th 05 01:20 PM

wrote:

Been there done that. The last one failed
about 10 years ago and the utiltiy did
nothing until it died completly.
And the comment about a BB riffle was a
joke.
As far as trying to get the FCC to do anything,
someone is smoking bad dope.

Not true at all. If you believe that, then YOU perhaps are smoking bad dope.

I have recent first hand experience.

If you had to wait ten years, then you simply did not complain loud enough or to
the right people.

As to the BB gun, an AK-47 or an SKS does a much finer job.

dxAce
Michigan
USA