Old January 9th 05, 10:48 PM
Radioman390

Default Zenith SW radio goes for $50K on EBay. for real.!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9316&ssPage N
ame=STRK:MEWA:IT#ebayphotohosting
Old January 9th 05, 11:11 PM
Invader3K

Forgive my ignorance, but what is so special about this radio that
would fetch such an obscenely high amount of money? I wonder if the bid
is a joke. Good luck to the seller on collecting that.

Old January 9th 05, 11:15 PM
dxAce

Invader3K wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is so special about this radio that
would fetch such an obscenely high amount of money? I wonder if the bid
is a joke. Good luck to the seller on collecting that.

It's rare and obviously highly collectable.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 9th 05, 11:18 PM
Telamon

Radioman390 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9316&ssPage N
ame=STRK:MEWA:IT#ebayphotohosting

It looks like a really nice old radio that is rare. Not accounting for
collectors of anything under those circumstances.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 9th 05, 11:38 PM
Brenda Ann

ups.com...

Radioman390 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9316&ssPage N
ame=STRK:MEWA:IT#ebayphotohosting

Zenith Stratosphere's are one of the most collectable radios, and they DO
fetch extremely high prices. The one in question will no doubt fetch over
$100,000 for the buyer once it's been completely restored. Radios like the
Sparton "Sleigh" (a blue mirror-faced radio with otherwise pretty common AA5
innards) can go for as much as $5000. And that's a table radio.

Old January 9th 05, 11:42 PM
dxAce

Brenda Ann wrote:

ups.com...

Radioman390 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9316&ssPage N
ame=STRK:MEWA:IT#ebayphotohosting

Zenith Stratosphere's are one of the most collectable radios, and they DO
fetch extremely high prices. The one in question will no doubt fetch over
$100,000 for the buyer once it's been completely restored. Radios like the
Sparton "Sleigh" (a blue mirror-faced radio with otherwise pretty common AA5
innards) can go for as much as $5000. And that's a table radio.

Yes, I was just about to say the same thing. Once the cabinetry is repaired by a
competent individual, and the electrical work is gone through it would certainly
be worth much more.

Someone bidding that kind of cash knows what they are doing.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 9th 05, 11:43 PM
Brian Hill

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Zenith Stratosphere's are one of the most collectable radios, and they DO
fetch extremely high prices. The one in question will no doubt fetch over
$100,000 for the buyer once it's been completely restored. Radios like the
Sparton "Sleigh" (a blue mirror-faced radio with otherwise pretty common

AA5
innards) can go for as much as $5000. And that's a table radio.

You think it'll get $100k Brenda, restored? Have there been any restored
ones sold in the past? Just curious?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old January 9th 05, 11:46 PM
Mark S. Holden

Radioman390 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9316&ssPage N

ame=STRK:MEWA:IT#ebayphotohosting

Zenith only made 350 of those radios, and only about 40 are known to
still exist.

The odd thing is the cabinet on this one has quite a few missing bits of
veneer, and scratches, a knob is missing and the other knobs aren't in
great shape. The seller doesn't indicate if it works.

He may regret it after seeing the radio in person, but the high bidder
bid at least $21k more than the next highest bidder to meet the reserve.

But this is somewhat of a "holy grail" radio - he might never see
another one for sale.

Old January 9th 05, 11:49 PM

Too much money for the amount of bread,,, it is.
cuhulin

Old January 9th 05, 11:53 PM
dxAce

Radioman390 wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9316&ssPage N

ame=STRK:MEWA:IT#ebayphotohosting

Zenith only made 350 of those radios, and only about 40 are known to
still exist.

The odd thing is the cabinet on this one has quite a few missing bits of
veneer, and scratches, a knob is missing and the other knobs aren't in
great shape. The seller doesn't indicate if it works.

He may regret it after seeing the radio in person, but the high bidder
bid at least $21k more than the next highest bidder to meet the reserve.

But this is somewhat of a "holy grail" radio - he might never see
another one for sale.

And it wasn't sold by Radio-Mart!

dxAce
Michigan