Old January 12th 05, 10:19 AM
Dennis and Judy Toye

Default Shortwave Radio

Hi guys need some help on deciding on which Shortwave Radio to get, a Icom
R 75 or a Yaesu VR 5000.

Can some please help me.

Cheers
Dennis

Old January 12th 05, 10:46 AM
big boy now

Go for the icom R75....please don't waist your money on a yaesu VR5000 they
are the biggest load of S? i have ever owned.
when they were released i paid £700+ for one of them with the DSP unit
installed...all i will say is i only owned it for just six months and sold
it on at a loss.........
i then went out and paid almost 3k for another as i am one who only wants
the best and after buying the VR5000 i know why i am the way i am....short
wave radio magazine run an article on the VR5000
and to be honest they even said they are not worth buying.
in my opinion i can not understand yaesu why bring out a receiver
that is so bad well next to useless... they yaesu have a good reputation so
why bring out such a crap receiver...
i will look in my old copies of short wave magazines and if i can find the
review i will post it hear for you...

Old January 12th 05, 01:34 PM

DENNIS;
I have the ICOM R-75 and use the LF H-800 antenna with the unit. I can
tell you that the R-75 will pick up many stations and with the many
controls the unit offers you will be pleased with the audio. Also if
you desire and it does improve the audio is the new ICOM Speaker -23
which has several filter controls to enhance audio.
This receiver is a very good value and I think there are now several
deals being offered where you will be able to get the unit for under
$500.00
Good hunting and have fun
Howard

Old January 12th 05, 02:33 PM
Jim Hackett

....And then there are people like me who LOVE their VR-5000. I also have an
R-75 also so I can directly compare the 2. If ALL you are interested in is
shortwave, the R-75 IS the better choice.

. uk...

Old January 12th 05, 04:03 PM
elg110254

Dennis & Judy, be advised that you'll have to have cap mod ICOM's R-75 to get
satisfactory agc, audio, & sync performance. Bought Radio Place's last R-75
before they went out of business two years ago, had the cap mods incorporated,
& it's been a stellar receiver ever since. Although ICOM gets ripped for lousy
audio, those cap mods produce a robust, midrange-centric tonality via external
amplification. If you want to go Yaesu, though, get a Century Frog (FRG-100).
They don't seem to suffer the bugaboos of FRG's 7000, 7700, or 8800. B.T.W.,
really miss Lucky Ocean's "Planet" via Radio Australia since the holidays!!!
Old January 12th 05, 04:38 PM
big boy now

When i owned my Yaesu VR5000 i found it to be totally useless on short
wave.....

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
nk.net...
...And then there are people like me who LOVE their VR-5000. I also have
an R-75 also so I can directly compare the 2. If ALL you are interested
in is shortwave, the R-75 IS the better choice.

. uk...

Old January 12th 05, 08:27 PM
Jim Hackett

Mine is more than adequate on the h.f. bands. It "hears" everything my
R-75, FRG7000, 7700, 8800, and Sat-800 can hear. From what I hear, the
earlier versions were plagued with issues. Personally, I couldn't be
happier with mine. Sorry to hear you got a lemon...

"big boy now" wrote in message
k...
When i owned my Yaesu VR5000 i found it to be totally useless on short
wave.....

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
nk.net...
...And then there are people like me who LOVE their VR-5000. I also have
an R-75 also so I can directly compare the 2. If ALL you are interested
in is shortwave, the R-75 IS the better choice.

. uk...

Old January 12th 05, 10:43 PM
patgkz

Yaesu needs to get a $500 coupon on that VR-5000 to make it realistic in the
price/performance ratio.

Please buy the Icom.

At least it (the R-75) holds good re-sale value if you tire of it.

Good luck.....

Old January 13th 05, 02:38 AM
running dogg

elg110254 wrote:

Dennis & Judy, be advised that you'll have to have cap mod ICOM's R-75 to get
satisfactory agc, audio, & sync performance. Bought Radio Place's last R-75
before they went out of business two years ago, had the cap mods incorporated,
& it's been a stellar receiver ever since. Although ICOM gets ripped for lousy
audio, those cap mods produce a robust, midrange-centric tonality via external
amplification. If you want to go Yaesu, though, get a Century Frog (FRG-100).
They don't seem to suffer the bugaboos of FRG's 7000, 7700, or 8800. B.T.W.,
really miss Lucky Ocean's "Planet" via Radio Australia since the holidays!!!

Yeah, now there's NO ham radio store in Sacramento ever since Radio
Place went under. You have to go to the Bay Area if you want to buy any
HF gear in person. There's that Chicken Lips place that sells CB
equipment to truckers, but other than that there's absolutely NO
"alternative radio" stores in northern CA outside of Ham Radio Outlet in
Oakland and Sunnyvale-unless they've gone under too. When I was a
teenager (early 90s) there were 2 or 3 ham radio stores in Sacramento
and Rat Shack had a good selection of SW radios. Now all the ham stores
have closed and Rat Shack only sells a couple Grundigs, and you have to
know where to look for them in the store. A sad scenario. Looks like SW
has really died off since the Cold War ended.

As for Radio Australia, the program head in Melbourne who decided that
the station should keep playing cricket and rugby games as the greatest
disaster to EVER hit SE Asia was happening should be fired and locked in
a padded room since he's clearly insane.

My FRG-8800 has its quirks, but it's still a decent receiver. Just don't
leave it plugged in, or else the next power blackout might fry the chips
for good.