Old January 12th 05, 11:08 AM
peter berrett

Default Crystal Set Query

Hi all

Cam someone please help me with a query I have about an old crystal set I
used to own.

When I first came to live in Melbourne (1970s) my parents purchased for me a
small crystal set.at a local, now long gone, toy store. As I recall the set
was manufactured in England although I may be wrong on this point.

It was housed in a small plastic box (red?) and from memory was about 2
inches long and maybe an inch wide and high.

Inside the box was a small wound coil (about 1/4" diameter) around a thin
cardboard tube. There was a ferrite rod inside this which could be slid back
and forth within the tube by means of a small rod that stuck out of the end
of the ferte rod and protruded from the end of the box. This was used for
tuning stations. There was also a piece of wire coming from the box with an
alligator clip on the end. This was the antenna and by attaching it to a
long piece of wire one could receive stations. There was also another piece
of twin wire protruduing from the box which went to a crystal earpiece so
that you could listen to stations.

Aside from this I think there were only two other components - a diode and a
capacitor as I recall which formed the crystal set circuit. Unfortunately
the set is now lost after so many years.

This was my first introduction to radio and despite moving on to bigger
radios and getting my ham license, this example of a crystal set has always
stuck in my mind as being a particularly simple but efficient example of
electrical engineering. I now have a young son of my own and would like very
much to buy one of these sets.

Does anyone know who manufactured these sets and whether they are still
available to be purchased?

cheers Peter VK3PB

Old January 12th 05, 11:17 AM
Ron Hardin

We used to build them with 1N34A diode, capacitor across the headphones,
and a coil wound on a toilet paper tube, with taps on the coil
that you'd clip an allegator clip to, for tuning.

Assemble atop wooden board.

There were some with an actual cat whisker instead of the diode,
but we went the modern way mostly.

The project is mostly winding the coil, many turns of enameled wire,
and scraping bits of it clear of enamel for the allegator clip
landing spots.

Another tuning method was a slider over the coil but it never
seemed like that would be very easy to get to work reliably.

Antenna and ground across the live portion of the coil.
--
Ron Hardin

Old January 12th 05, 12:32 PM

Was the radio shaped like a "rocket"?
Like:
http://www.tompolk.com/radios/rocket.html
or:
http://home.earthlink.net/~wb5rex/xt...osrockets.html
There is a company making a reproduction.
I will dig out their name and URL tonight.
Terry

Old January 12th 05, 12:48 PM
dxAce

Was the radio shaped like a "rocket"?
Like:
http://www.tompolk.com/radios/rocket.html
or:
http://home.earthlink.net/~wb5rex/xt...osrockets.html
There is a company making a reproduction.
I will dig out their name and URL tonight.

I had a couple of those rocket radios in the late 50's early 60's.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 12th 05, 01:47 PM
peter berrett

No but the radio is very similar

I think I would almost prefer a rocket radio for my son if they are still
available! They look way cool!

cheers Peter

oups.com...

Old January 12th 05, 04:27 PM
bpnjensen

Ron Hardin wrote:

We used to build them with 1N34A diode, capacitor across the

headphones,
and a coil wound on a toilet paper tube, with taps on the coil
that you'd clip an allegator clip to, for tuning.

We still do! And they still work great!

They're not hard to construct with inexpensive readily-available items.
There are several good websites with tips and hints for simple
construction, and they're great fun. Try making one!

Bruce Jensen

Old January 12th 05, 05:11 PM

I bought a crystal radio set from an ad I saw in a Popular Mechanics
magazine in 1947.It worked great too.
cuhulin

Old January 12th 05, 08:32 PM
m II

peter berrett wrote:

Does anyone know who manufactured these sets and whether they are still
available to be purchased?

many pages out there. A Google search for

crystal radio sets

turned up many sites. Some of them are below:

http://www.clarion.org.au/crystalset/

http://www.thebest.net/wuggy/

http://www.midnightscience.com/

http://www.midnightscience.com/kits.html