Old January 12th 05, 12:15 PM
dxAce

Default Katanga

** KATANGA. CONGO DR. 7205, RTNC, Lumbumbashi, 1942 Nov [correct] 25
in French, M&W talk with brief afropop music between segments at 1950,
1955 and 1958, dead air for about 20 [seconds] at 2000, then a woman
mentioning "Congolaise," more abouot Bukavu, Bunia, Lumbubashi --- all
towns in Katanga province --- then back to M&W talking, brief African
tribal rhythms between segments at 2012, 2016 and 2017. Very weak. You
have to hope for an early opening for this one, as a Russian-language
service, probably BBC, takes over this frequency from 2030 (Mark A.
Coady, Ont., Your Reports, Jan ODXA Listening In via DXLD)

Katanga counts as a seperate NASWA ountry.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 12th 05, 01:31 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

** KATANGA. CONGO DR. 7205, RTNC, Lumbumbashi, 1942 Nov [correct] 25
in French, M&W talk with brief afropop music between segments at 1950,
1955 and 1958, dead air for about 20 [seconds] at 2000, then a woman
mentioning "Congolaise," more abouot Bukavu, Bunia, Lumbubashi --- all
towns in Katanga province --- then back to M&W talking, brief African
tribal rhythms between segments at 2012, 2016 and 2017. Very weak. You
have to hope for an early opening for this one, as a Russian-language
service, probably BBC, takes over this frequency from 2030 (Mark A.
Coady, Ont., Your Reports, Jan ODXA Listening In via DXLD)

Katanga counts as a seperate NASWA country.

I've emailed Glenn Hauser about the frequency as Lubumbashi has been reported in
the past on 7435 vs. 7205 and I can't seem to find when or if the switch was
made.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 12th 05, 09:23 PM
bpnjensen

This is interesting. Steve, did you manage to hear this one too?

I'm rarely near a radio at that time, but even if I were, those midday
DX blues and yecch noise would probably make it darn near impossible
(although a *few* African signals are quite potent then).

Bruce Jensen

Old January 12th 05, 10:13 PM
dxAce

bpnjensen wrote:

This is interesting. Steve, did you manage to hear this one too?

No haven't looked for it yet. I did QSL them back in 1990 on 7203 and received a
card and a letter.

Old January 13th 05, 08:16 PM
dxAce

bpnjensen wrote:

This is interesting. Steve, did you manage to hear this one too?

There is certainly someone in there today at 2000, however conditions are poor
due to a previous solar storm which seems to have subsided a bit.

There was a European station in earlier at 1900 and the interval signal escapes
me at the moment.

The frequency bears watching though.

dxAce

Old January 14th 05, 08:32 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

** KATANGA. CONGO DR. 7205, RTNC, Lumbumbashi, 1942 Nov [correct] 25
in French, M&W talk with brief afropop music between segments at 1950,
1955 and 1958, dead air for about 20 [seconds] at 2000, then a woman
mentioning "Congolaise," more abouot Bukavu, Bunia, Lumbubashi --- all
towns in Katanga province --- then back to M&W talking, brief African
tribal rhythms between segments at 2012, 2016 and 2017. Very weak. You
have to hope for an early opening for this one, as a Russian-language
service, probably BBC, takes over this frequency from 2030 (Mark A.
Coady, Ont., Your Reports, Jan ODXA Listening In via DXLD)

Katanga counts as a seperate NASWA country.

I'm not really sure what is there after 1930 when apparent Turkey signs off. I
do see Iran listed there in Russian from 1930-2030 to Eastern Europe, and I was
able to hear what certainly seemed to be Koranic recitations.

I'm not sure what Mark was hearing, but it almost seems like it may be Iran as
even my 70' N-S wire hears it better than the 200' W-E wire which would
generally work better toward Africa.

And at least at 2030 the BBC comes on in presumed Portuguese.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 14th 05, 08:52 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

[...]

I would point out that Mark's report was from November, so it is indeed possible
that frequency usage has changed since then. However, EiBi lists Katanga (Zaire) on
7435 as does the BDXC list from April of 2004.

dxAce
Michigan
USA