Old January 13th 05, 01:26 AM
Conan Ford

Default opposite sides versus overlapped windings

I was using a balun wound on an Amidon FT114-43 torroid, on opposite sides.
Since then, someone posted impedence_matching_bryant.pdf or similar (was it
DxAce?). Anyways, I wound another one with the overlapped method, and I
must say, performance seems to be much better, especially between 5000 and
10000 khz. I was able to pull many stations in last night, despite
increased solar activity, including many that I had never received before.

So thanks, to whoever posted it. And I can say, from my impressions only,
with absolutely no evidence, that the overlapped winding method is better
than the opposite-sides method.
Old January 13th 05, 01:47 AM
Dale Parfitt

"Conan Ford" wrote in message
3.159...
I was using a balun wound on an Amidon FT114-43 torroid, on opposite

sides.
Since then, someone posted impedence_matching_bryant.pdf or similar (was

it
DxAce?). Anyways, I wound another one with the overlapped method, and I
must say, performance seems to be much better, especially between 5000 and
10000 khz. I was able to pull many stations in last night, despite
increased solar activity, including many that I had never received before.

So thanks, to whoever posted it. And I can say, from my impressions only,
with absolutely no evidence, that the overlapped winding method is better
than the opposite-sides method.

One advantage of the toroid core is near complete flux linkage- I think if
you were able to do instantaneous comparisons, you would see no difference.

Dale W4OP

Old January 13th 05, 03:40 AM
RHF

CF,
..
Most likely one of these two Reference Links/URLs :
..
Fabricating Impedance Matching Transformers for Receiving Antennas
- - - May 2001 by Paul Bryant
http://members.aol.com/DXerCapeCod/z_transformers.pdf
..
Impedance Matching Transformers for Receiving Antennas
at Medium and Lower Shortwave Frequencies
June 2003 by Bill Bowers, John Bryant and Nick Hall-Patch [VE7DXR]
http://radiodx.com/spdxr/media/imt_doc1.doc
..
BALUN READING LIST - (First Draft) :
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...4779c94ac46fe0

..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
All are WELCOME at the Shortwave Listener (SWL) "Antenna Ashram"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
..
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
..
With the a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
[ If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them ]
Old January 13th 05, 06:07 PM
Mark Zenier

In article sqkFd.12407$ig7.4394@trnddc04,
Dale Parfitt wrote:

"Conan Ford" wrote in message
23.159...
I was using a balun wound on an Amidon FT114-43 torroid, on opposite

sides.
Since then, someone posted impedence_matching_bryant.pdf or similar (was

it
DxAce?). Anyways, I wound another one with the overlapped method, and I
must say, performance seems to be much better, especially between 5000 and
10000 khz. I was able to pull many stations in last night, despite
increased solar activity, including many that I had never received before.

So thanks, to whoever posted it. And I can say, from my impressions only,
with absolutely no evidence, that the overlapped winding method is better
than the opposite-sides method.

One advantage of the toroid core is near complete flux linkage- I think if
you were able to do instantaneous comparisons, you would see no difference.

No, your leakage inductance is going to be higher with seperated windings,
so each winding will act like there's an independent series inductance
that isn't coupled into the transformer. The tradeoff is less interwinding
capacitance, and lower isolation (arc over) voltage.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident