Old January 17th 05, 05:30 AM
Brenda Ann

Default Very very short waves, or lack of them

Intelsat 804, the bird that supplies AFN's AM, FM and TV signals to the Far
East, died on Saturday. They have been able to procure a signal to feed
their affiliates here and in Japan, by using the DTS (Direct to Sailor)
bird. This is a limited feed, but better than nothing as far as AFN is
concerned.. however, those of us who have to pay for AFN DTH (Direct to
Home) feeds are now completely without..

The latest from the MyAFN website:

Update as of Sunday, Jan 16, 2005, 0700 PST.
IS804 has been declared lost! INTELSAT is now working on alternative
solutions. AFN customers should continue to monitor this website for
situation updates.

Some AFN stations and base-cable providers in Japan and Korea are using the
joint AFN and Navy Direct-to-Sailor (DTS) satellite system to provide the
three DTS channels to their audience.

--
Illigitimus non tatum carborundum

(Don't let the *******s wear you down)

Old January 17th 05, 12:32 PM

Appropos of nothing...I remember very well when I was stationed
there...or aboard ship in Asian waters..hearing FEN Tokyo on 3910 kc/s.
No satellite there!.....Used to enjoy listening to FEN and AFRTS
.....73
Greg

Old January 17th 05, 04:41 PM

Sometimes,when I got a chance,I would listen to U.S.Armed Forces Radio
when I was in Vietnam,1964.
cuhulin