Old January 18th 05, 12:25 AM
Ian Smith

Default Recent Hawaii trip.

1 or 2 of you may remember I was off to visit Hawaii just before
Christmas, complete with SW100E, and would report back on any DX had
from the Waikiki area of Honolulu. As a matter of fact, was pretty
much a lack of anything to hear on HF, even with the wire-reel antenna
added on. New Zealand was about the only one, apart from WWVH, coming
in loud and clear. I can only speculate that conditions were not too
good in those 2 weeks. Either that or I should've stuffed the AR7030
in the baggage somewhere! That served me well when we lived there for
a year and a half. Anyway, turns out we were rather busy with vacation
activities, so DXing took a back seat.

On the plus side, did a bit of AM/FM searching on the rental-car
stereo (Chevy Cavalier). Was pleasantly surprised at how many could be
heard, which were difficult/inaudible on the Sony. Have a newfound
respect for car radios!
Logged 3 other islands, apart from Oahu, on both AM and FM (Kauai,
Maui and Hawaii itself). In all, 24 off-island and some 41 locals. If
anyone wants to see the list, I can post.

It was great to see Hawaii once again, visit my Mother-in-law,
hang out on Waikiki beach, partake of the amazing cuisine (looks at
swollen waistline :-), and generally enjoy the novelty of Christmas
paraphernalia in 85 degrees heat. For a Scotsman, that is very hot
weather!

Consider myself lucky to afford such a trip, and hope that we can
get there another time, before too long. It's an amazing place.

Couple of pics -

View from Diamond Head Crater, one of my favourite pics -
http://www.1r5.net/pics/honolulu_from_crater.jpg

View from Aloha Tower, with Scottish sailing ship "Falls of Clyde"
being restored in harbor -
http://www.1r5.net/pics/honolulu_harbor_ship.jpg

kind regards (and good DX) to all,

Ian Smith, Clydebank, Scotland (10 miles from where that ship was
built)

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old January 18th 05, 03:10 AM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
. ..
| 1 or 2 of you may remember I was off to visit Hawaii just before
| Christmas, complete with SW100E, and would report back on any DX had
| from the Waikiki area of Honolulu. As a matter of fact, was pretty
| much a lack of anything to hear on HF, even with the wire-reel antenna
| added on. New Zealand was about the only one, apart from WWVH, coming
| in loud and clear. I can only speculate that conditions were not too
| good in those 2 weeks. Either that or I should've stuffed the AR7030
| in the baggage somewhere! That served me well when we lived there for
| a year and a half. Anyway, turns out we were rather busy with vacation
| activities, so DXing took a back seat.
|
| On the plus side, did a bit of AM/FM searching on the rental-car
| stereo (Chevy Cavalier). Was pleasantly surprised at how many could be
| heard, which were difficult/inaudible on the Sony. Have a newfound
| respect for car radios!
| Logged 3 other islands, apart from Oahu, on both AM and FM (Kauai,
| Maui and Hawaii itself). In all, 24 off-island and some 41 locals. If
| anyone wants to see the list, I can post.
|
| It was great to see Hawaii once again, visit my Mother-in-law,
| hang out on Waikiki beach, partake of the amazing cuisine (looks at
| swollen waistline :-), and generally enjoy the novelty of Christmas
| paraphernalia in 85 degrees heat. For a Scotsman, that is very hot
| weather!
|
| Consider myself lucky to afford such a trip, and hope that we can
| get there another time, before too long. It's an amazing place.
|
| Couple of pics -
|
| View from Diamond Head Crater, one of my favourite pics -
| http://www.1r5.net/pics/honolulu_from_crater.jpg
|
| View from Aloha Tower, with Scottish sailing ship "Falls of Clyde"
| being restored in harbor -
| http://www.1r5.net/pics/honolulu_harbor_ship.jpg
|

| kind regards (and good DX) to all,
|
| Ian Smith, Clydebank, Scotland (10 miles from where that ship was
| built)

Outstanding photos, Ian!

Sounds like a lovely trip, too, with the exception of HF condx
(and possibly the fact that you had to drive a Cavalier, heh heh).

73,

--
Steve Lawrence
KAØPMD

"If a man wants his dreams to come true then he must wake up."
- Anonymous

Old January 21st 05, 11:42 PM
Ian Smith

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote in message
.net...

Ian Smith wrote:

| Thanks Steve. Makes a difference to the usual old winter
weather,
| eh? We just came out of a severe storm here. 100+mph winds and
serious
| flooding. Luckily our houses are made of solid brick or stone.
Typical
| January, basically!
| Feeling wistful for that beach in Waikiki......

I've been following the news of your awful weather. Here, we just
finished a
bout with -20 (celsius) temperatures, and to top that off, HF has
been close
to dead.

The good news: If it isn't cloudy in your "necka," you might be
able to see
some beautiful aurorae tonight. A friend living in Beds. saw them
last
night,
and described the sight as "vivid."

Good Luck!

73,

Steve Lawrence
KAØPMD
Burnsville, Minnesota

"If a man wants his dreams to come true then he must wake up."
- Anonymous

Sorry to hear about your "freeze up". Sometimes it gets a lot
colder over there, eh? It's rare to see anything worse than -10C here,
and most of the time it's above freezing for the winter. On the other
hand, our summers are rather cool by your standards; no air-con
needed. ;-)

Just read your post tonight. Checked the skies, no cloud cover but
no aurorae. Oh well, maybe next time. Thanks anyway! Everything has a
liberal coating of frost right now, as a result of the clear sky.

My target this year is to build an HF magnetic loop by the end of
March. Difficult with all the work I have right now, but will give it
a good try! The design I'm leaning towards is based on copper tubing
(purchased from "B+Q", our equivalent of Home Depot), if I can find
the original dimensions, that is. :-) May also consider a
fully-shielded loop, this area being bad for electrical noise.

good DX,

Ian

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Trip to Disney mickey Policy 0 November 28th 04 06:49 PM
Trip to Disney mickey Boatanchors 0 November 28th 04 04:06 PM
Trip to Disney mickey Boatanchors 0 November 28th 04 04:06 PM
Trip to Disney mickey Digital 0 November 28th 04 03:59 PM
Chinese Kerry Out: John Kerry's Private Trade Trip to Beijing Tian Li Shortwave 0 October 27th 04 12:35 PM