Old January 22nd 05, 10:46 PM
Scott A.

Default SSB in DX-398

I have a Radio Shack DX-398 that I bought in '97 or '98. Whenever I try to
listen to anything in either usb or lsb, it sounds sort of like the
chipmunks. The pitch just sounds wrong and unintelligable.

I don't have a lot of experience with swl, so I don't know if this is
normal or not. I would expect normal AM broadcasts to be distorted, but
signals that I'm sure are ssb also sound bad.

(This problem comes to mind now because I was attempting to pick up the
pirate broadcast on 6925 mentioned on this newsgroup just a few minutes
ago, which I'm pretty sure is usb. I can pick it up. I even recognized
the old David Crosby song they were playing. But it's still un-
intelligable.)
Old January 22nd 05, 10:51 PM

You should be able to tune it in.
I have used my DX398 and have had no trouble.
Try tuning slowly above and below.
I am receiving the 6.925 pirate (now Underground radio)
in USB, so tune below it.

Terry

Old January 22nd 05, 10:54 PM
Scott A.

I don't quite know what you mean by "tune below it," but I wonder if
there's something wrong with my radio. It's always sounded like this in
SSB.

BTW, I'm in Fort Wayne, IN. Know where they're transmitting from?
Old January 23rd 05, 03:48 PM
CW

It is not just a case of flipping a switch. I haven't had a 398 in several
years but the basics are, switch to sideband mode, set the tuning for lowest
posible tuning steps (40 hz in this radio) and use the tuning knob to tune
it in. If you can't get it tuned, you are in the wrong sideband. Switch to
the other and do it again. Likely, in this part of the spectrum, those
pirates are on lower sideband.

Old January 22nd 05, 11:32 PM

ER, you might want to take a look at the DX398 again.
I have mine in front of me and it certainly does have
SSB mode, support for both LSB and USB.
I modified mine to defeat the tuning muting, but
even with that, I just barrowed my wife's stock
DX398 and I can tune it just fine. I prefer the lack
of mute,.
On the lower right front there is a button labled
am/mode. This toggles/steps the radio through
AMLSBUSBAM.
Again, please recheck your "facts".
Terry

Old January 22nd 05, 11:37 PM

Check out:
http://support.radioshack.com/produc...20-228&Reuse=N
This should take you to the page at Tandy's web with a direct link
to a PDF of the owner's manual.
Terry

Old January 27th 05, 01:17 AM
Jmpngtiger

He is not complaining about picking the signal up but making it
understandable. You can't do this with DX-398. No SSB mode or BFO means
no SSB detection.

My 398 does it just fine. (????)

jt