Old January 25th 05, 05:33 AM
Michael

Default Long wire antenna

I want to build a long wire antenna for AM use, and run it from the
peak of my house to the peak of my barn. That will give me about 120
feet of antenna running basically north/south. I've never done this
before, so I'm looking for advice. I know enough to use ceramic eggs to
string the antenna ends, but how do I terminate the ends so that 1) the
end at the barn supports the tension; and 2) the end at the house
supports the tension and allows a connection to the radio? Also, how do
I connect a lightning arrestor to the antenna and how do I properly
connect the coax to the antenna?

Sorry if these are very basic questions, but I'm just starting out at
this.

TIA

Michael

Old January 25th 05, 12:19 PM
Tom Sevart

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to build a long wire antenna for AM use, and run it from the
peak of my house to the peak of my barn. That will give me about 120
feet of antenna running basically north/south. I've never done this
before, so I'm looking for advice. I know enough to use ceramic eggs to
string the antenna ends, but how do I terminate the ends so that 1) the
end at the barn supports the tension; and 2) the end at the house
supports the tension and allows a connection to the radio? Also, how do
I connect a lightning arrestor to the antenna and how do I properly
connect the coax to the antenna?

What you'll want to do is provide some sort of counterwieght and pulley
system to provide wind strain relief. At each end is great, but you'll want
to do it to at least one end. Run the support rope at the end of the
antenna through a pulley mounted at the peak of the roof. Attach the rope
to some sort of wieght, like a couple of bricks or a sandbag. You'll
probably want to run the rope through an eye at the top of a pole first and
attach the wieght at the bottom. This will keep the wieght from swinging
around in the wind and will allow it to slide up & down. This keeps strong
winds from breaking your wire antenna.

At the far end of the antenna, simply wrap the wire through one hole of the
insulator and if it's stiff copper-clad steel wire wrap it back around
itself. If you're using more flexible insulated copper stranded wire, it's
OK to tie it around the insulator.

At the near end, you will want to do the same thing. Attach the support
rope to the peak of the roof while leaving a long wire downlead hanging down
from the insulator. You can either bring the downlead all the way into the
shack and feed your receiver this way, or else attach it to the center
conductor of the coax at the base of the house, while attaching the shield
braid to a suitable ground. You can either connect direct to the coax or
use a spare SO-239 jack. Be sure to weatherproof the coax connection. Then
just run the coax in to your receiver.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

Old January 25th 05, 02:43 PM
David

Use 23 g steel wire (available at any hardware store). If
weight-tensioned properly it'll stand up to anything.

Old January 26th 05, 06:39 AM
m II

David wrote:

Use 23 g steel wire (available at any hardware store). If
weight-tensioned properly it'll stand up to anything.

I use stranded steel clothesline. Very strong and thick enough so that the
senior members of the bird population can see it before they get maimed.

mike
Old January 26th 05, 08:26 AM
starman

m II wrote:

David wrote:

Use 23 g steel wire (available at any hardware store). If
weight-tensioned properly it'll stand up to anything.

I use stranded steel clothesline. Very strong and thick enough so that the
senior members of the bird population can see it before they get maimed.

Do you run the steel wire all the way to the radio? If not, how do you
connect the lead wire such as copper to the steel antenna wire without
galvanic corrosion?

Old January 26th 05, 04:07 PM
David

I used a Palomar MLB with a tinned lead to the transformer. Soldered.
It grew small amounts of salt but that didn't seem to affect the
operation.

Old January 26th 05, 09:34 PM
RHF

David,
..
Clean the Solder Connection (Joint) with Alcohol.
..
Next Paint the Solder Joint with Clear Nail Polish and let it Dry.
..
Then Wrap and Secure the Solder the Connection as needed.
..
~ RHF
Old January 25th 05, 06:16 PM
RHF

MICHAEL,

READ - Types of Wire Antenna Insulators and
"How To" Make the Insulator's Eye Wire Wrap Joint
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e94237dc9fa077

..
WRAPPING THE ANTENNA WIRE THROUGH THE INSULATOR :
Here is the Method / Process that I use to Wrap the Antenna Wire
Through the Eye (Hole) of the Antenna Insulator.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e94237dc9fa077

..
iane ~ RHF
..
All are WELCOME at the Shortwave Listener (SWL) "Antenna Ashram"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
..
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"
Old January 26th 05, 09:17 AM
RHF

MICHAEL,
..
"Also, how do I connect a lightning arrestor to the antenna
and how do I properly connect the coax to the antenna ?"
..
Of... Lightning Arrestors and the Antenna Wire to Coax Cable Connection
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/2041
..
ZAP - - - - - / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / - - - - - ________
Here are several Lightning Arrestor type devices
that can offer some "Limited Protection" in the
event of a 'nearby' Lightening Strike in your area.
..
* Opek A7516 Lightning Arrestor [ Basic Air-Gap ]
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...tect/4618.html
..
* Transi-Trap LT utilizes a hermetically sealed gas filled cylinder
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...tect/1502.html
..
* Alpha Delta ATT3G50 series of coax surge protectors
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...tect/4003.html
..
* Antenna Super Market "Zap Trapper" Coaxial
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...tect/2993.html
..
* Cushcraft Constant Impedance LAC4
uses a replaceable Gas Discharge Tube
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...tect/0614.html
..
* DEO Receiver Guard 2000U
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...tect/1305.html
..
* Diamond CA Series of Coax Surge Protectors
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...tect/2318.html
..
..
THE ANTENNA WIRE TO COAX CABLE CONNECTION :
..
IMHO - The best was to make the Antenna Wire to Coax
Cable Connection is to use a Matching Transformer Balun
UnUn or what is called a Magnetic LongWire Balun.
+ These devices make the Electrical-Mechanical (Joints)
Connections between the Antenna Wire Element; the
Ground Wire; and the Coax Cable Feed-in-Line.
+ These devices also help to 'match' the "Impedance" of
the Antenna Wire Element to the Coax Cable Feed-in-Line.
+ These devices provide a "Direct-DC-Ground-Path" for
any Electrical Discharge pasted through the Antenna Wire
Element to earthen ground.
..
* * * Balun Reading List ( Long )
..
* RF Systems Magnetic Longwire Balun (MLB)
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/antsup/1484.html
..
* Shortwave Longwire (10:1) Antenna Feeder #SWL-1
..
* "Universal Magnetic Balun" (UMB) a Receiving (Only) Antenna
Balun with a 9:1 impedance ratio by Wellbrook, UK.
UMB= http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/UMB.html
..
* Shortwave Longwire Antenna Feeder with balun LWF-1
..
* Magnetic Longwire Balun (MLB) Palomar
http://www.palomar-engineers.com/MLB-1/mlb-1.html
http://www.antennex.com/palomar/page_6.htm
..
* Longwire Isolated (10:1) Antenna Feeder - SWL-1G
..
* WiNRADiO WR-LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/230
http://www.grove-ent.com/WR0130.html
http://www.winradio.com/home/lwa.htm
http://www.winradio.com/home/ax05e.htm
..
..
BUILT YOUR OWN BALUN :
Do-It-Yourself Antenna Balun Kits by ByteMark
http://www.bytemark.com/products/kit_bal1.htm
..
..
iane ~ RHF