Old January 25th 05, 02:59 PM
John Plimmer

Default DXing in the Arctic Circle

These guys really had some fun and great catches with their 3000 foot long
beverage antenna's:

The LEM206 DXpedition report from the Finnish Lapland can now be read at
http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/lem206rep.dx and the log at
http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/lem206log.dx - complete with pictures
and a few sound bites.

For us, pretty good reception of U.S. AM stations throughout the entire
week was the highlight. Those of you who are interested only in
shortwave can still find one interesting logging, check out 3815 kHz
under you-should-know-which continent...

We have only begun to review the huge number of recordings, so I expect
the log to grow by at least 50% over the coming weeks and months. More
slogans and sound bites will also be added later on. However, I wanted
to give you a preliminary listing as soon as possible.

73s
Mika Makelainen

I like the Tonga 10 Kw catch at 8,900 miles away
forwarded by:
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop

Old January 25th 05, 05:34 PM
dxAce

John Plimmer wrote:

These guys really had some fun and great catches with their 3000 foot long
beverage antenna's:

The LEM206 DXpedition report from the Finnish Lapland can now be read at
http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/lem206rep.dx and the log at
http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/lem206log.dx - complete with pictures
and a few sound bites.

For us, pretty good reception of U.S. AM stations throughout the entire
week was the highlight. Those of you who are interested only in
shortwave can still find one interesting logging, check out 3815 kHz
under you-should-know-which continent...

I just wonder how much power Greenland is running on that frequency at present?

They used to slide in here occasionally from the Nuuk site when they were
ostensibly using 1kw and a dipole antenna on 3999.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 26th 05, 06:50 AM
Mark

John,

Thanks for posting, great story. A lot of JRC radios used I see. Would be
nice to be able to roll out a 1000-metre antenna!

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

Old January 26th 05, 09:07 AM
John Plimmer

Yeah! we can dream Mark. Contrary to popular opinion the possibilities of
running out 1000m/3000ft of wire in South Africa are very slim, as most of
the country is intensively farmed and there are massive power distribution
lines gridlocking the country.
There are a couple of inland DX sites we have used in our dry semi desert
area's, but they never yield the results of operating at the coast with much
shorter wires.

I have had outstanding results at coastal shacks with my portable and
compact Kiwa MW loop. Pity it is off the market now and no other
commercially available loop on sale to my knowledge.

Pity about those JRC radio's - they would have done even better with a
decent RX..!!!

Old January 26th 05, 09:30 PM
Mark

John,

Yes, I know what you mean about coastal DX. I live about three miles from
the coast. I have two coastlines, living on an ithsmus, so lots and lots of
water surrounding my QTH.

I was recently on vacation on the west coast of the North Island of NZ, in a
town called Kawhia, which has a large harbour. I took a Sony ICF-SW55 with
me and a piece of wire about three metres long! I ran the wire along the
eaves of the small house we were staying in and connected it to the external
antenna jack of the Sony.

The first station I heard was an amateur, CT3MD, on Porto Santo Island,
Madeira, off the coast of west Africa. He was talking to a station in
Sigatoka, Viti Levu, Fiji. This was on 20 metres. The advantage over
listening in Auckland is how QUIET the radio is. Its a very small town, so
no electrical noise etc. And no light pollution. There are so many more
stars there!

I had the pleasure of visiting your beautiful country, a couple of years
ago. Didn't make it to the Western Cape, as I was working. But did get to
see some of the amazing animals you have roaming around!

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Introduction to "AM" Medium Wave DXing - by the Ontario DX Association (ODXC) RHF Shortwave 3 January 11th 05 03:14 PM
Diego Garcia 13254 dxAce Shortwave 31 November 5th 04 06:15 PM
DXing in ICF-2010 / ICF-7600GR Riz Shortwave 0 September 24th 04 07:09 AM
Request for DXing and QSL information Da Shadow Dx 0 June 19th 04 02:45 PM
Antenna Reactance Question alhearn Antenna 83 April 4th 04 03:53 AM