Old January 25th 05, 10:03 PM
Rico

Default What is Single Side Ban and how does it differ from SW

I'm interested from a boating perspective. What's the best option with the
lowest initial cost?

Old January 25th 05, 10:26 PM
dxAce

Rico wrote:

I'm interested from a boating perspective. What's the best option with the
lowest initial cost?

SSB (single sideband) is simply a modulation technique. It does not 'differ'
from shortwave, it is simply a mode that is used on shortwave.

Here is a page that may be of interest to you:

http://www.onpassage.com/Communicati...uiser_Nets.htm

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 25th 05, 10:35 PM
Caveat Lector

Shortwave is only a range of frequencies 3 to 30 MHz

SSB or Single Sideband is a modulation type such as AM,FM, SSB

For How AM and SSB works see URL:
http://www.williamson-labs.com/480_mod.htm

As far as cost -- there is a very wide range:

Shortwave receiver reviews at URL:
http://www2.rnw.nl/rnw/en/features/m...s/rx_curr.html

AND

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8

--
Caveat Lector

Old January 25th 05, 10:52 PM

There is Low SSB and High SSB.Not all Shortwave radio's have SSB.
cuhulin

Old January 26th 05, 12:54 AM
Rico

There is Low SSB and High SSB.Not all Shortwave radio's have SSB.

Thanks all!