Old January 27th 05, 01:52 AM
Butch

Default FA: Sony ICF-5900W - Collector Quality - Ends Today

When I saw the photo of the 5900 I thought the thing absolutely mint,
absolutely collector quality, absolutely jes great, on the outside.
Can't rate the inside and workings until I would have heard it. But
them outsides is absolutely....yeah! I would have been bidding if ebay
had not totally screwed my account to the poing that it is unsuable and
I can't get a new account using my real name and my real address. I
will not open a false account. screw ebay.

Butch KF5DE

Guy Atkins wrote:
In case anyone's wondering, here's what I meant by "collector quality". When
I first saw this receiver, I immediately thought it looked good enough for a
serious collector to want in his/her collection. So, that's why "collector
quality" came to mind and why I used it in the description.

I'm not a collector myself-- my communications receivers are used for DXing
and are often modified. Perhaps I should have been aware of collectors'
definitions of commonly used phrases like Mint, Collector Condition, etc.; I
do know that I would not use the phrase MINT lightly, as that certainly
implies an "as-minted" or "as produced in the factory" condition.

Is there a source somewhere online that gives guidance for this sort of
thing? I don't want to mislead anyone in my auction descriptions. There must
be an agreed-upon body of language and phrases in the collectables arena for
describing radios & electronic items appropriately.

Guy in Puyallup, WA
(who just shipped an extremely nice 5900W to a new owner :^)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yes, I agree there should not be a new and old standard for the term
mint. Actually, I have seen very few 30 year old radios that meet the
dictionary definition "as if new". Mint should mean new, as it was
minted or produced at the factory. For a 30 year old radio to be in
that cosmetic condition it would have been boxed up and not used. Very
few popularly priced radios were accorded that treatment. They were
used, and rightfully so. Time does take a toll on electronic and
mechanical components even when not used, so a perfect looking radio
may have difficulties when plugged in. There are however lots of used
radios for sale that are in good to very nice condition.

Most mint-in-the-box radios I have seen for sale are in fact nice
looking packages the seller has put together. A very nice radio, the
box and the instructions were all acquired separately and married.

Descriptives like Mint, Collector Condition, New Old Stock, Pristine
are all imprecise and open to interpretation by buyer and seller.
That's why it's important to ask lots of specific questions before
buying and walk away from deals when the right answers are not
forthcoming.