Old January 31st 05, 01:46 PM
Lucky

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lucky wrote:

Is this mainly a program listening rig?
How is the SSB on it with no PBT or shift?

I guess you can't even compare it to a Drake R8 huh??

Any opinions?

Thanks
Lucky

Speaking of HF-150s, there's one on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Could be an interesting auction.

Funny thing is, I noticed a Satellit 700 up for auction as well:

The bidding on the 700 is already up to a whopping (and mind boggling)
$565.00. I'll bet the Lowe goes for significantly less than this. I
really do believe that Ebay is a great marketplace for tabletop
receivers and some 'portatops', but not so good (and occasionally
terrible) for portables.

Steve

That Lowe 150 went for $465 and it didn't even have a US power supply.
Was it worth that price? How much would it have been worth if you could
find one with a keypad for it too??

Thanks
Lucky

Mike Maghakian offered one here for $425 a few weeks ago - that was a good
deal.

My impression is the one on ebay closed around the middle of the range
they normally do.

It also depends a lot on the condition of it since the radio is not very old
but it has enought years on it where you should be careful buying. I'm sure
Mike checks his stuff out good before he sells it.

Lucky

Old January 31st 05, 02:41 PM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:
snip

It also depends a lot on the condition of it since the radio is not very old
but it has enought years on it where you should be careful buying. I'm sure
Mike checks his stuff out good before he sells it.

Lucky

Never bought a radio from Mike, but he does have a good reputation.

Besides condition, options will be a factor - some have backlights for the LCD,
others don't.

Two variants you don't see very often are the Marine and Europa versions. The
Europa had improved specs and a stronger front end. Not sure what the
difference was on the Marine one other than it was white.
Old January 31st 05, 03:17 PM
Mark S. Holden

Lucky wrote:

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:
snip

It also depends a lot on the condition of it since the radio is not very
old
but it has enought years on it where you should be careful buying. I'm
sure
Mike checks his stuff out good before he sells it.

Lucky

Never bought a radio from Mike, but he does have a good reputation.

Besides condition, options will be a factor - some have backlights for the
LCD,
others don't.

Two variants you don't see very often are the Marine and Europa versions.
The
Europa had improved specs and a stronger front end. Not sure what the
difference was on the Marine one other than it was white.

Yes but I hear the Europa model is far and few between. I would buy a little
pen light for the original 150 at night. I bet it wouldn't be hard to hook
at a good LED right over the display.

Lucky

I spent over a year looking for a Europa. The only one I found was at a dealer
in the Netherlands, but they wouldn't export to the USA.

While you could use a penlight, the back light is a convenience - less stuff to
keep track of.
Old January 31st 05, 03:28 PM
Lucky

Lucky wrote:

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:
snip

[...]

I'm just get a bug for a radio and end up buying it even though I have a
bunch of radios already. I got a bug for the 150 and that's it. I hear about
everyone loving it and that it's built like tank. Plus it being manufactured
in England draws my attention too.

Lucky

Old January 31st 05, 04:11 PM

I was all set to buy a 150 Europa from a fellow, but just as he was
about to sell it to me, he told me his primary receiver went on the
blink and so he no longer wanted to sell. I was a little bummed about
this. At the same time, I was also concerned about the 150 Europa, as
some people reported that, in addition to its stronger front end, it
was also a bit less sensitive than the standard 150.

In any event, I ended up getting a standard 150...actually, it's not
entirely standard because it's one of the 'black case' 150s assembled
by South Midlands Communications. These were among some of the very
last 150s made. It has to take back seat to an R8B in my house, but
it's a damned impressive little receiver just the same. The build
quality is amazing and the tuning knob is wonderful...it's smooth,
gentle action will rock you to sleep!

Steve