RadioBanter

-   -   What's the 'quietest' receiver you've ever owned or used? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/63225-whats-quietest-receiver-youve-ever-owned-used.html)

[email protected] January 31st 05 03:37 AM

What's the 'quietest' receiver you've ever owned or used?

I started thinking about this tonight. I was tuning around with a Lowe
HF-150, comparing it with some other receivers, and was struck by how
quiet the 150 is--and by what an advantage this is when it comes to
resolving weak AM signals.

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

Dale Parfitt January 31st 05 04:04 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I started thinking about this tonight. I was tuning around with a Lowe
HF-150, comparing it with some other receivers, and was struck by how
quiet the 150 is--and by what an advantage this is when it comes to
resolving weak AM signals.

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

I too like my 150, but the current receiver I am building- loosley based on
a W7ZOI design is quieter, probably due to the gain distribution and the
fact that Wes designed the AGC such that it does not kick in until
about -90dBmV; unlike some of today's radios where you can actually see band
noise on the S meter.
Still under construction, with a 1980's theme:
http://www.parelectronics.com/pics/w7zoi9.jpg

The AM detector is an NE602 used in a squaring circuit - wonderful A.M.
recovery.

--
Dale W4OP
for PAR Electronics, Inc.

Mark S. Holden January 31st 05 05:14 AM

wrote:

I started thinking about this tonight. I was tuning around with a Lowe
HF-150, comparing it with some other receivers, and was struck by how
quiet the 150 is--and by what an advantage this is when it comes to
resolving weak AM signals.

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

Harris RF-550 with AFC and coherent AGC on.

Very easy on the ears.

Conan Ford January 31st 05 10:38 AM

wrote in news:1107142649.528028.112840
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I started thinking about this tonight. I was tuning around with a Lowe
HF-150, comparing it with some other receivers, and was struck by how
quiet the 150 is--and by what an advantage this is when it comes to
resolving weak AM signals.

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

The quietest receiver I ever owned was a Scott RX-200 (same radio as the
Grundig S-350 or Tecsun BCL-2000) that I bought off of E-Bay. It was very
quiet as it was DOA.

Geoff Burginon January 31st 05 12:50 PM

On 30 Jan 2005 19:37:29 -0800, wrote:

I started thinking about this tonight. I was tuning around with a Lowe
HF-150, comparing it with some other receivers, and was struck by how
quiet the 150 is--and by what an advantage this is when it comes to
resolving weak AM signals.

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

The WinRadio G313i by far. Noise floor -138 dBm and the continuously
adjustable IF filter let's you adjust the IF bandwidth to precisely
match the bandwidth of the signal. No other receiver comes close.

Geoff

Radio E V E R H A R T January 31st 05 01:06 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:50:39 GMT, (Geoff Burginon)
wrote:

On 30 Jan 2005 19:37:29 -0800,
wrote:

I started thinking about this tonight. I was tuning around with a Lowe
HF-150, comparing it with some other receivers, and was struck by how
quiet the 150 is--and by what an advantage this is when it comes to
resolving weak AM signals.

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

The WinRadio G313i by far. Noise floor -138 dBm and the continuously
adjustable IF filter let's you adjust the IF bandwidth to precisely
match the bandwidth of the signal. No other receiver comes close.

Geoff

Agree - 313i is the quietest by far.

Tom Sevart January 31st 05 01:26 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

I've got one that doesn't work, does that count? No sound at all...

Seriously, though, I think the radio with the quietest noise floor is my
Zenith Trans-Oceanic 3000-1. It has very little audio until you tune across
a station. It's not unusual to blast yourself out because you turn up the
audio, thinking there should be lots of static.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

Frank Dresser January 31st 05 02:35 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
[snip]

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

Hallicrafters SX-62

Frank Dresser