Old January 31st 05, 03:37 AM

Default What's the 'quietest' receiver you've ever owned or used?

I started thinking about this tonight. I was tuning around with a Lowe
HF-150, comparing it with some other receivers, and was struck by how
quiet the 150 is--and by what an advantage this is when it comes to
resolving weak AM signals.

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

Old January 31st 05, 03:59 AM
mike maghakian

the DX-394 is very quiet yet pretty sensitive. after I have modded one it is
a very nice receiver !

oups.com...

Old January 31st 05, 04:04 AM
Dale Parfitt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I started thinking about this tonight. I was tuning around with a Lowe
HF-150, comparing it with some other receivers, and was struck by how
quiet the 150 is--and by what an advantage this is when it comes to
resolving weak AM signals.

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

I too like my 150, but the current receiver I am building- loosley based on
a W7ZOI design is quieter, probably due to the gain distribution and the
fact that Wes designed the AGC such that it does not kick in until
about -90dBmV; unlike some of today's radios where you can actually see band
noise on the S meter.
Still under construction, with a 1980's theme:
http://www.parelectronics.com/pics/w7zoi9.jpg

The AM detector is an NE602 used in a squaring circuit - wonderful A.M.
recovery.

--
Dale W4OP
for PAR Electronics, Inc.

Old January 31st 05, 01:26 PM
Tom Sevart

wrote in message
oups.com...

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

I've got one that doesn't work, does that count? No sound at all...

Seriously, though, I think the radio with the quietest noise floor is my
Zenith Trans-Oceanic 3000-1. It has very little audio until you tune across
a station. It's not unusual to blast yourself out because you turn up the
audio, thinking there should be lots of static.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

Old January 31st 05, 02:35 PM
Frank Dresser

wrote in message
oups.com...
[snip]

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

Hallicrafters SX-62

Frank Dresser