Old January 31st 05, 03:53 AM
Tebojockey

Default Repair/alignment of Sony ICF-2001/2010

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a person or service center in the US that can
repair/align a Sony ICF-2001/2010 that is aging? I have visited the
Sony site and they have nothing there that even refers to it, so I
doubt they'll be much help.

It's almost 10 years old, bought in Hong Kong way back when.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks

ASA Lives!

Old January 31st 05, 04:29 AM
DesignGuy

"Tebojockey" tebojockey(replace.with.at)secure-tunnel(dot)com wrote in
message ...
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a person or service center in the US that can
repair/align a Sony ICF-2001/2010 that is aging? I have visited the
Sony site and they have nothing there that even refers to it, so I
doubt they'll be much help.

It's almost 10 years old, bought in Hong Kong way back when.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks

ASA Lives!

Try Universal Radio in Ohio, they might work on it.

Old January 31st 05, 10:13 AM
Unrevealed Source

Steve Ulrich
SONY Repair Center
4300 W. 36 1/2 St.
St. Louis Park, MN 55416
(619) 920-8000

"Tebojockey" tebojockey(replace.with.at)secure-tunnel(dot)com wrote in
message ...
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a person or service center in the US that can
repair/align a Sony ICF-2001/2010 that is aging? I have visited the
Sony site and they have nothing there that even refers to it, so I
doubt they'll be much help.

It's almost 10 years old, bought in Hong Kong way back when.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks

ASA Lives!

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old January 31st 05, 01:31 PM
Tom Sevart

If you want to try doing it yourself, it's not hard to do but is a delicate
process. If you're interested, I can post the instructions here.

Tom

Old February 1st 05, 03:21 AM
Tebojockey

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:31:47 -0600, "Tom Sevart"
wrote:

If you want to try doing it yourself, it's not hard to do but is a delicate
process. If you're interested, I can post the instructions here.

Tom

Thanks Tom!

I'd appreciate it. I work on a site with all the test equipment, and
if you could post the alignment procedures, it sure would be a help!

Old February 1st 05, 03:21 AM
Tebojockey

Thank you, I will give him a ring if the alignment procedures Tom is
posting are out of my league.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:13:39 -0500, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:

Steve Ulrich
SONY Repair Center
4300 W. 36 1/2 St.
St. Louis Park, MN 55416
(619) 920-8000

Old February 1st 05, 03:21 AM
Tebojockey

Thanks! I have an email in to them, and we'll see what they say!

Old February 1st 05, 04:07 AM
Tom Sevart

I thought I had this saved on my computer, but I had to search Google groups
to find this from when I had posted it years ago. I need to add it to my
website.

How to align the Sony 2010

The Sony 2010 is a great portable receiver. However, it does tend to get
slightly out of alignment ever so often. With 100 Herz tuning steps, it
does become quite noticable when listening to SSB stations. One step is
just a little too low while the next is just a little too high. This can be
fixed by simply turning a small pot inside the radio. Tweaking the pot
itself is simple, getting to it is kind of tricky.

When I first bought my 2010 years ago, I found that the display was about .1
kHz off. Here are the procedures to align the frequency of the 2010. You
may lose the memories as the AA batteries for the radios computer tend to
fall out during this procedure. Proceed at your own risk, I take no
responsibility for you working on your own radio.

First, place the unit on its face. You may want to place it on a towel or
something so you don't scratch the face. Remove the batteries, and then the
six screws on the back of the radio and the one inside the battery chamber.
Once you have done this, the back of the radio pops off and you can set it
aside. You will be looking at a circuit board and the rear of the speaker.
Remove the three screws from the circuit board (identified with this symbol:
\||/ ). Once you have done that, carefully remove the circuit board by
undoing the clips that are holding it in place. There are two on the
bottom, one at top left, and one on the left. Very carefully lift the
circuit board. There will still be numerous wires attatched, be careful not
to pull any off. Turn the radio around and look at the component side of
the board. You will see a metal box on the right side, and a blue pot right
next to it, on the left side, in among a few electrolytic capacitors. This
is the pot you want to tweak. Attatch the power cord to the radio and an
external antenna. Tune the radio to WWV in either upper or lower sideband.
Using a plastic tuning tool, turn the pot slowly left or right. You should
hear the frequency change. You don't have to turn it very much. Switch
between upper & lower sideband as needed until you hear the same sound in
either mode. When WWV's tones sound the same in both sideands and AM, it
will be right on frequency. Once you have tweaked it to your satisfaction,
power off the radio & disconnect the power & antenna.

This is the tricky part. Make sure the flat plastic ribbon cables haven't
pulled loose from thier connectors. Turn the radio back around so you are
looking at the back, right side up. You have to make sure the volume
control and RF gain slide pots fit into the slide buttons. On the front of
the radio, slide the volume control all the way down. Do the same for the
RF gain. There is also a slide switch on the side marked TONE that you must
also make sure is set in right. After you snap the circuit board in place,
move the slide switches up & down to make sure they are working properly.
Replace the three screws that hold the board in place. At this point you
may want to power up the radio to make sure it is working properly . If so,
replace the back cover, taking care that the blue & black wires at the
bottom of the circuit board underneath don't get pinched. Replace the
screws and you're done.

Sony ICF-SW7600 / Sony ICF-SW7600G / Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio Information & Links RHF Shortwave 0 January 1st 05 11:02 PM
Sony ICF-2010 Receiver AIR FM LW MW SW PLL SYNTHESIZED Pete KE9OA Shortwave 0 December 18th 04 07:19 PM
Sony CFM-140S Al Arduengo Shortwave 3 April 10th 04 06:40 AM
Sony 7600 GR Reception of WGN Chicago (AM 720) Bob D Shortwave 16 September 14th 03 05:21 PM