Old January 31st 05, 01:52 PM
JShorr

Default A first receiver

Is there a receiver (sub 150$us) that is, far and a way, the best one
out there? I would really like to start playing around with shortwave
radio, but I can't seem to find a radio that doesn't have several
negative reviews...

Old January 31st 05, 02:23 PM

JShorr wrote:
Is there a receiver (sub 150$us) that is, far and a way, the best one
out there? I would really like to start playing around with

shortwave
radio, but I can't seem to find a radio that doesn't have several
negative reviews...

Check out the Sony ICF-7600GR. I think it's probably just what you're
looking for.

Steve

Old January 31st 05, 03:47 PM

JShorr wrote:
Are there any drawbacks to this model? I don't know what I'm talking
about here, but I've read about a problem on some receivers with

drift
and also some receivers not being able to pick up certain broadcasts.
Does this have either of these problems?
Also, amazon carries the Sony ICF-SW7600GR -- is this the same model?

Yes, it's the same model. I just forgot to writ the 'SW'.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about drift unless I were buying a more
more expensive receiver. The 7600 will be fine. It's the best in its
class (at least in my and many other peoples' opinions).

As for not being able to hear certain kinds of broadcasts, there's no
receiver that can hear all broadcasts. It will come with a reel type
antenna that will improve reception, and you might consider buying the
Sony active loop model AN-LP1. It works very well with the 7600GR.

What kinds of things do you want to hear? The 7600GR will be fine for
the major broadcasters and, if you want to listen to hams from time to
time, it does surprisingly well on SSB for a radio of its size and
price.

Steve

Old January 31st 05, 04:18 PM

"=2E..but I can't seem to find a radio that doesn't have se=ADveral
negative reviews..."

As far as reading negtive comments on receivers, I would be aware of
them, but at the same time try to read the positive points about a
receiver as well. I don't know about you, but I tend to focus on
negatives when reading a review and sometimes have to force myself to
read and possibly infer the good stuff too. The Sony ICF7600, Degen
(Kaito) DE1103, and Grundig YB all will catch a lot of radio signals.

If I didn't already own a DE1103 I would probably consider the Sony
7600.

Old January 31st 05, 04:32 PM
JShorr

I know that its quite a bit more, but any feelings on the Sony
ICF-SW07? I've been in the market for a nice travel alarm clock,/radio
and could perhaps justify this radio if it has the same quality SW
reception as the 7600.

What would be the benefit of the DE1103 over the 7600?
If none, I'll probably order the 7600.

Old January 31st 05, 04:58 PM

Definitely ICF-SW07 has the better reception performance than 7600GR,
As for DE1103, at least the DE1103 has a rotate tuning knob, 7600GR
hasn't it

Old January 31st 05, 05:05 PM

maybe the DE1108 will be the best choice, it will enter the market
after couple months
pls check the following hyperlink

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...8a20eaabaa0a88

Old January 31st 05, 05:16 PM

I'm not familiar with the SW07. As Leowood indicated the tuning knob
is a definite plus on the DE1103. I find that tuning a knob is much
easier than punching up/down buttons for casual bandscanning. It just
seems easier to move through a band and reverse directions with one
thumb on a wheel.

I used and completely wore out a Sony ICF-2002 (7600D) which was the
original version of the current 7600. My only complaint was all the
button pushing to tune through a band.

I also used and partly wore out a Sony ICF-7700 which used a
digital/analog display similar to the DE1103. While the 7700 had some
performance limitations, it did use a tuning wheel and that made tuning
the bands a breeze. It was fine for listening to major broadcasters
and MW and FM stations.

Old January 31st 05, 06:28 PM
Mark S. Holden

JShorr wrote:
I know that its quite a bit more, but any feelings on the Sony
ICF-SW07? I've been in the market for a nice travel alarm clock,/radio
and could perhaps justify this radio if it has the same quality SW
reception as the 7600.

What would be the benefit of the DE1103 over the 7600?
If none, I'll probably order the 7600.

I had an Sw-07.

It was a pretty good radio - especially when you consider it's size.
They come with a very good active loop antenna.

But the buttons were quite small, and I looked at it more as a neat
gadget than a radio I'd want to use on a regular basis.

It had a lot of features for a portable - but not as many as I'm used to
with my table top radios.