Old January 31st 05, 08:31 PM
JShorr

How much of a problem is it that the 7600 doesn't have an analog-style
tuning knob?

Old January 31st 05, 08:50 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear JShorr,

There is NO short wave radio made which is perfect. ALL have some
deficiency(s) which may be more or less important depending on the
requirements of the user.

That said, the Sony ICF-SW7600GR (preferably used with its associated
SW antenna the AN-LP1) will give a novice all the performance and
construction quality for which he could wish. This radio has "staying
power" as well. Even if you become a "seasoned veteran" like me, you
will not "outgrow" it.

It is an excellent radio for listening at home on SW as well as MW and
FM (it is particularly good on MW); it has a dedicated line output so
the sound can be run through your stereo system if you desire; it also
travels VERY well.

The radio can also be used as a travel alarm (with TWO wakeup times).

With its whip it has good sensitivity. You won't miss much! It is VERY
stable. Its SSB reception is arguably the best of any
currently-available portable radio. Its synchronous-selectable sideband
circuitry is offered by NO OTHER small portable with the exception of
the SW-07; note that the '7600/AN-LP1 combination is far less costly
than the SW-07 and performance is comparable. Having experienced
listening via synchonous selectable sideband circuitry, I shall NEVER
buy ANY SW radio without it!. If you purchase the AN-LP1 antenna (which
can be purchased separately sometime in the future), you will find this
radio/antenna combination to afford excellent performance.

It is even VERY EASY on batteries; it you use NiMH rechargeables, your
power costs will be extremely low. (You don't need to buy an AC adapter
for this radio. It works better on the batteries, anyway.)

The Sony ICF-SW7600G radio can be purchased new from Amazon (the least
costly dealer I have found), J&R Music World (they have low prices too,
sometimes less than Amazon, but check shipping costs: Amazon's is
generally "zero"), Universal, AES, and some other dealers. Check the
prices, but make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. AES and some
others sell the AN-LP1 antenna (AES's price is $89.95, less than the
dealers on eBay!).

I wish you the best of luck. I personally own three of the 7600GR
models and two of the predecessor 'G model (the 'GR is better). (I also
now own five AN-LP1 antennas.) I have bought many other receivers which
did not give me the satisfaction that this one does. I know that if you
buy this Sony receiver you will never regret it.

Best,

Joe

Old January 31st 05, 09:37 PM
Stephan Grossklass

JShorr schrieb:

How much of a problem is it that the 7600 doesn't have an analog-style
tuning knob?

That depends. Some people actually prefer the 7600G/GR tuning key layout
to a Sangean-style tuning knob. That said, you're never as fast scanning
bands as with an analog set. But overall I don't think it's overly
dramatic. Reception wise the 7600GR is certainly still very good in its
class, with SSB being hard to beat due to Sony's "secret weapon"
CXA1376. I would certainly like to get my hands on a datasheet of that
IC, being a very curious nature in things like this. (I guess it would
be in Japanese, though.)

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
Old February 1st 05, 04:18 AM
Brian Denley

JShorr wrote:
I know that its quite a bit more, but any feelings on the Sony
ICF-SW07?

Hasn't it been discontinued?

--
Brian Denley

Old February 1st 05, 04:41 AM
Hatfield

J: Definately return the Sony if the whip antenna will not rotate
smoothly, apparently its a very common problem. After extending the
base section of the whip straight up till you can see the bottom, it
will then be necessary to tug it up an inch or so more thus pulling out
the top of the mount it is connected to. It shold now rotate smoothly.
My old ICF SW7600 had a good antenna whip but I bent it up, it being
the only fragile thing on the radio which was bounced around off road
in a jeep for years, and still plays perfectly.

Old February 1st 05, 04:43 AM
Michael

"JShorr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just ordered the Sony, but had one last comparison question (I could
do a return).

I just read an advertisement for the eton E10 and E100. Anyone have
thoughts on these two models as compared to the ICF-SW7600GR?

Hiya,

I have both the Sony 7600gr and the PL-550 which is the exact same radio as
the E10. The PL-550 is a nice radio, but the Sony 7600gr is the better
performer in just about every category. The only performance advantage that
the PL-550 has over the Sony is audio quality. The PL-550 has more defined
and better sounding audio. The Sony is way better for resolving signals.
The PL-550 in my experience is also prone to overload and images. The Sony
is way more selective. The ssb selectable AM sync on the Sony is also a
great feature. The PL-550 doesn't even have ssb capabilities. The 7600gr
is also a great radio for medium wave dx'ing. Also... When I purchased my
PL-550 brand new, I paid half of what the E10 is being sold for. The PL-550
at $60.00 brand new is a TREMENDOUS value. The E10 at $130.00 is not such a
great deal considering it is in the same price range with a superior radio
like the 7600gr. I really love my PL-550, but I cant see how you'd want to
pay for a new E10 over a new Sony 7600gr. IMO, the 7600gr is the best of
all the portables out there. I even prefer it over the more expensive
Sangean 909 for program listening.
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Old February 1st 05, 05:03 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear JShorr,

There is no real comparison. The dual-conversion Sony will greatly
outperform the single-conversion E10 and/or E100.

Best,

Joe

Old February 1st 05, 03:21 PM
W Page Pyne

If cheap is the main consideration and you can do without the Digital
Readout ...here are two Oldies but goodies that at times can be found on
Ebay at under $100.

First is the Realistic DX-160 . Its solid state and doesn't take a lot of
shelf space and is more sensitive than most portables out there. It also has
a BFO which can be used for SSB and CW reception. While not the most
selective, it beats the cheap portables.

Another radio is of the Boat Anchor variety. Its bigger and bulky and uses
TUBES. Its a National NC-183D. It is both selective and very sensitive below
20 MHz or so. Its a real radio for AM Broadcast Band reception too. Wish I
still had mine.

"JShorr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there a receiver (sub 150$us) that is, far and a way, the best one
out there? I would really like to start playing around with shortwave
radio, but I can't seem to find a radio that doesn't have several
negative reviews...