Old February 1st 05, 03:10 AM
JShorr

Default Two Beginner Questions

I just purchased (though it hasn't yet arrived) my first SW radio, the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

I currently use a little Uniden Sportcat to scan a couple of
police/emergency and ham frequencies. Would it be safe to give the
SportCat to my little nephew, or are there things that it will pick up
that the ICF-SW7600GR will not?

Also, I ordered a copy of Passport 2005 -- if you had to reccomend just
one or two more books or websites (hopefully websites) what would you
reccomend for the beginner?

Old February 1st 05, 03:29 AM
Michael Black

"JShorr" ) writes:
I just purchased (though it hasn't yet arrived) my first SW radio, the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

I currently use a little Uniden Sportcat to scan a couple of
police/emergency and ham frequencies. Would it be safe to give the
SportCat to my little nephew, or are there things that it will pick up
that the ICF-SW7600GR will not?

There'll be no overlap. Scanners are about VHF and UHF, while shortwave
is shortwave. The scanners lower end would be where the upper end of
the shortwave receiver's tuning ends.

While once upon a time police was in the shortwave frequencies, well
technically medium wave since they were right above the AM broadcast
band pretty much any of those utilities that are now on the VHF and UHF
bands no longer use shortwave frequencies.

You will find some utility use in the shortwave bands, but it won't be
local like the scanner will receive.

Michael

Old February 1st 05, 03:53 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear JShorr,

I cannot help you with your question about the Uniden Sportcat as I am
unfamiliar with that radio. If you can post the frequencies it
receives, perhaps then I can answer your question, or others may know
and will help you. Certainly hold onto it for now.

I can make recommendations for books and websites. Buy the 2005 WORLD
RADIO TV HANDBOOK. PASSPORT and WRTH complement each other; there is
some overlap, but little real duplication. PASSPORT is very strong in
equipment reviews; WRTH is strongest in station listings.

(WRTH also has a good website:

http://www.wrth.com

and the January 2005 updates to the B04 schedules published in the book
are on the site available for free download.)

I buy both books every year. As far as I am concerned, both are
essential.

Probably my favorite radio website is: http://www.radiointel.com

I also like this one: http://www.rwonline.com/

There are many others and you will undoubtedly find a lot of sites as
you inquire. Make sure you check out Universal's, AES's, Grove's, and
C. Crane's sites. Also MFJ's site is very interesting. (These company's
sites are primarily for ordering from them, but there is a wealth of
interesting information about the various radios and accessories they
sell.) You can find their URLs by looking them up on Google.)

Do you subscribe to POPULAR COMMUNICATIONS and MONITORING TIMES?
They're not cheap, but they ARE definitely worth every cent they
charge.

You'll surely want to join this Yahoo! group:

Note: you must have a Yahoo! e-mail address but that is free. Then,
with it, you can join any Yahoo! radio group you like. (The most active
one I know is the Grundig Satellit 800 group which has lots of useful
information not all of which is specific to the Grundig. It is at:

I wish you the very best of luck with your new radio. I know you will
be extremely pleased. Don't forget, there is a learning curve. This
takes time and there is no substitute for time. That aside, you should
find this radio very easy to use and very satisfying in operation.
I firmly believe that it is the best small portable made.

Best,

Joe

Old February 1st 05, 04:40 AM
Buzzygirl

Hi there!

For current program schedules, here's a good place:

www.primetimeshortwave.com

I also like this site: lots of good stuff for all SW listeners he

www.radiointel.com

Have fun!

Jackie

Old February 1st 05, 06:54 AM
Howard

On 31 Jan 2005 19:10:36 -0800, "JShorr" wrote:

I just purchased (though it hasn't yet arrived) my first SW radio, the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

I currently use a little Uniden Sportcat to scan a couple of
police/emergency and ham frequencies. Would it be safe to give the
SportCat to my little nephew, or are there things that it will pick up
that the ICF-SW7600GR will not?

Also, I ordered a copy of Passport 2005 -- if you had to reccomend just
one or two more books or websites (hopefully websites) what would you
reccomend for the beginner?

The Sportcat is for VHF/UHF and the 7600 for HF (shortwave); totally
different frequency ranges. You won't receive police/fire/VHF-marine
etc with the Sony so if that capability is important to you hold onto
the scanner. Of course, you could still give it to your nephew and
replace it with a new scanner for yourself.

Old February 1st 05, 07:07 AM
starman

Howard wrote:

[...]

You can buy scanners with complete frequency coverage (including
shortwave), like 100-Khz to 1300-Mhz. One model is the Yupiteru-7100E.
Costs about $300-US.

Old February 1st 05, 08:48 AM
Conan Ford

starman wrote in :

You can buy scanners with complete frequency coverage (including
shortwave), like 100-Khz to 1300-Mhz. One model is the Yupiteru-7100E.
Costs about $300-US.

The caveat here is the jack-of-all-trades, master of none case. Most of
these general coverage scanners aren't very good at SW.
Old February 1st 05, 12:12 PM
dxAce

Jim Douglas wrote:

Keep the scanner, just another toy to listen to when SW listening is bad.

You need to set your clock! It's only the 1st of February.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

oups.com...

Old February 1st 05, 03:18 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Hi.

I forgot to mention PrimeTimeShortwave which is indeed one of the most
useful websites. In addition to schedules, there are links to many
other useful short wave sites. All in all, this site is about all you
need to add to your "Links" in your browser. The rest you can just add
to "Favorites" or "Bookmarks."

Best,

Joe

Old February 1st 05, 03:34 PM

Great combination - you will have no overlap and wide coverage. I did
the same thing with a Sony ICF2010 and Radio Shack 2006 scanner for
several years.

Depending on your location check out either the Police Call or Scanner
Master books on the scammermaster.com website for frequencies. In my
experience Scanner Master was more up to date.

Extra Class License Study Material Drink Antenna 13 February 19th 04 08:29 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
Antenna questions from Beginner Birderman Shortwave 2 September 6th 03 12:51 AM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM