Old February 2nd 05, 03:43 PM

Default R8B and external power supply

A while back I decided to run my R8B off an external power supply. I
can't say my decision to do this was based on any very sound reasoning.
I'd read some old posts in rrr about how keeping heat out of the case
would promote the long term health of the receiver and, being a little
paranoid about protecting my investment, I decided to go with an
external supply (despite the fact that the R8B really doesn't get very
warm when running off its own internal supply). My guess is that that
there's no real need to use an external supply and that my desire to
protect my investment made me a sucker... In any case, I've tried a
couple of external power supplies, most recently a 13.8 VDC / 3amp
supply from Radio Shack, and both of them introduced at least some kind
of noise or hash into my reception. It was often very subtle, but
enough to be a real problem when it comes to weak signals. When the R8B
is running off its own internal supply, it's much quieter. It seems to
like it's own, internal supply.

So my question is, should just I forget about using an external supply?
Thanks in advance!

Steve

Old February 2nd 05, 03:50 PM
dxAce

[...]

I've never run my R8 or R8B off of an external supply (at least here at home). I
do run the R7 off of one due to one earlier occasion of blowing some diodes in
the internal supply, so just for the heck of it I run my current one off of a 12
volt supply.

The R8 and R8B never run very hot.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old February 2nd 05, 04:29 PM
Ron Hardin

I use an Astron SS-18, which is a switching supply (so it runs fairly cool),
and is not too noisy birdie-wise. I tried a MFJ switching supply first
(birdies all over) and an Astron non-switching supply (quiet but hot).

It keeps the R8B much cooler, and you can stack other stuff on it because
it no longer needs airflow.

I much prefer it on the external supply, but the real reason for getting
it was to run a couple dozen 12v accessories like active antennas and
ANC-4's and DSP's as well, without having a rats' nest of wall warts.

I have the SS-18 in a discarded refrigerator in the basement, far from
portables lying around that might hear its birdies, and the R8B is on
an external antenna so doesn't hear it in any case.

Be sure to inline-fuse the power from an external supply for the cable you're
using, amp-wise. Those things can burn up wire well before they reach
their rated capacity, and most wire won't handle 18 amps. Slo-blo fuses
run very hot, incidentally; use fast-blow fuses.
--
Ron Hardin

Old February 2nd 05, 04:47 PM
Jack Painter

wrote

[...]

Heat is an enemy of all electronics, and even though the R8B does run cooler
than any other receiver I own, it could improve frequency stability to run
it even cooler from a DC pwr supply.

Btw I also use a RS 3a regulated pwr supply (to run an ATU) and except for
the spike of turning it on/off, have never noticed any hash on receivers
from it.

Jack

Old February 2nd 05, 07:06 PM
Mark S. Holden

[...]

My R8 ran "warm" on the built in power supply, and this made the top of the
radio a favorite snoozing spot for our cats. Having a cat snoozing on top makes
it run warmer.

Without the snoozing cats problem, I'd consider an external power supply to be a
belt and suspenders kind of thing. You don't need to do it, but it may prolong
the life of components.

Besides heat, the other problem with cats snoozing on your radios is eventually,
they decide the tuning knob must be a toy since you seem to enjoy turning it.

I've pretty much decided to sell my Applied Communications (Norlin) SR-2150
wideband because one of the cats is afraid of the cooling fan, and another
thinks turning the tuning knob is a game.

Old February 2nd 05, 08:01 PM

Get a piece of cardboard or a piece of thin wood paneling and push a lot
of long thumbtacks into the cardboard or panel and set the panel on top
of your radio(s) tv sets or whatever with the points of the thumbtacks
pointing up.That should keep the cats off.
cuhulin

Old February 3rd 05, 05:35 AM
starman

Jack Painter wrote:

wrote

[...]

I use a garden variety (Radio Shack) 12V power supply. It does make a
significant improvement in lowering the case temperature but it's hard
to say if this will extend the componant life over the long run. I tend
to think it will, so that's why I do it. There is one down side to the
external DC supply though. When the internal supply is used, the clock
is sync'd to the AC 60-HZ frequency which makes it more accurate than
with the DC supply.

Old February 3rd 05, 05:37 AM
starman

"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There's also the possibility of cat hair getting inside and interfering
with the air circulation.

Old February 3rd 05, 09:28 AM
Ron Hardin

starman wrote:
to think it will, so that's why I do it. There is one down side to the
external DC supply though. When the internal supply is used, the clock
is sync'd to the AC 60-HZ frequency which makes it more accurate than
with the DC supply.

Are you sure it's sync'd? My impression was that it worked off DC in either
case.
--
Ron Hardin

Old February 5th 05, 06:05 PM
starman

Ron Hardin wrote:

starman wrote:
to think it will, so that's why I do it. There is one down side to the
external DC supply though. When the internal supply is used, the clock
is sync'd to the AC 60-HZ frequency which makes it more accurate than
with the DC supply.

Are you sure it's sync'd? My impression was that it worked off DC in either
case.

The clock circuit uses DC for the active componants but there is a
connection through a capacitor to the AC line to a pin on the clock chip
to sync' it.