Old February 3rd 05, 10:30 PM
Guy Atkins

Default Improving Trans-Pacific MW Conditions

MW DXers on the USA West Coast and mountain states should keep an ear on the
9-kHz split frequences the rest of this week, before the sun's activity
spikes again. Each day this week has brought better TP MW reception. This
morning's signal levels on 594 (JOAK, Tokyo), 1134 (JOQR Tokyo), 1566 (FEBC,
Cheju, S. Korea) and 1575 (VOA, Attuthaya, Thailand) were the best since
last fall's excellent string of openings. VOA 1575 was particularly good,
with ID and news at 1530 UTC.

I'm heading to Ocean City State Park, WA this Sunday for a two-night
DXpedition. I hope the conditions hold out, although the chance of a
geostorm increases after the 5th... a large sunspot region is due to swing
back into view.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
mod. IC-756Pro and mod. R-75 receivers
Kiwa MAP / ERGO software
450 ft. West & 700 ft. Northwest Beverage antennas

Old February 3rd 05, 11:53 PM
J999w

Improved conditions already noted on the 40 m band. Europeans heard for the
first time in quite a while. Big contest this weekend too.

jw
k9rzz
milwaukee
Old February 4th 05, 05:51 AM

J999w wrote:
Improved conditions already noted on the 40 m band. Europeans heard

for the
first time in quite a while. Big contest this weekend too.

jw
k9rzz
milwaukee

It's been fairly wide open on all the low bands. Lots of EU on 75m.
Heard quite a few JA's on 160m this morning. And thats saying
something,
as usually I can't hardly hear them. I don't have beverages, etc....
But I was hearing them on my 40 ft dipole this AM. Heard Germany on
160 this evening, but kinda light..75m was rockin and rollin a couple
of nights ago. Real loud signals. It's ok tonight, but I have more
QRN tonight for some reason...I haven't even tried much MW yet...
Maybe do that this weekend if it's quiet. MK

Old February 4th 05, 04:43 PM
Guy Atkins

Well, what a difference a day makes. I found this morning's trans-Pacific MW
reception to be much poorer. I did have audio again on VOA Thailand/1575,
but weaker, and an unidentified station on 639 with threshold audio, but
that was it. Everything else was scattered hets across the dial... no other
TP audio.

I did note that my west Beverage had the strongest hets and audio today.
Yesterday it was the northwest wire providing the better signals.

Guy

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 4th 05, 08:07 PM
Burr

Nice report Guy,
Thanks and I'll give it a try. I am going to be spending a lot of time
in the Philippines starting in April so I should be able to do some good MW
DXing.

Thanks again,

Burr
Gurndig FR200, YB400, Sat 650 & Sat 800