Old February 4th 05, 08:52 PM

Default Ferrite Cores

I picked up some ferrite cores today and have been attaching them to
power cords, computer cables and my coaxial feedline. I can report a
definite reduction in noise. This is especially gratifying because
ferrite cores aren't too expensive.

Any advice about how to position these cores? Are they best placed
close to the electrical outlet or close to the computer, receiver or
device being used (or both)? Would appreciate your insights.

Thanks....Steve

Old February 4th 05, 09:43 PM

Two or three weeks ago I saw a UK website about some new little ferrite
cores that are intended for use on cellphone earphones.They clip on the
cellphone earphone cords/wires.Suppose to help drain off cellphone
microwave energy.They might be handy for shortwave radios too.
cuhulin

Old February 4th 05, 11:54 PM
Dale Parfitt

wrote in message
Two or three weeks ago I saw a UK website about some new little ferrite
cores that are intended for use on cellphone earphones.They clip on the
cellphone earphone cords/wires.Suppose to help drain off cellphone
microwave energy.They might be handy for shortwave radios too.
cuhulin

The same cores that work at 800, 1.9GHz, 2.4 GHz will likely not be useful
at HF.
The whole idea that reducing RF on the earphone will be beneficial is
nonsense.
Right along the lines with the PC card antenna that fits under the cell
phone battery.
Dale W4OP

Old February 5th 05, 06:41 AM
Conan Ford

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in

wrote in message
Two or three weeks ago I saw a UK website about some new little
ferrite cores that are intended for use on cellphone earphones.They
clip on the cellphone earphone cords/wires.Suppose to help drain off
cellphone microwave energy.They might be handy for shortwave radios
too. cuhulin

The same cores that work at 800, 1.9GHz, 2.4 GHz will likely not be
useful at HF.
The whole idea that reducing RF on the earphone will be beneficial is
nonsense.
Right along the lines with the PC card antenna that fits under the
cell phone battery.
Dale W4OP

I don't think the ferrite cores for cell phone headsets are for improving
reception--they're for reducing your chances of getting brain cancer. If
they make a difference in this regard, who knows...

Old February 5th 05, 09:45 PM
Dale Parfitt

3.159...

wrote in message
Two or three weeks ago I saw a UK website about some new little
ferrite cores that are intended for use on cellphone earphones.They
clip on the cellphone earphone cords/wires.Suppose to help drain off
cellphone microwave energy.They might be handy for shortwave radios
too. cuhulin

The same cores that work at 800, 1.9GHz, 2.4 GHz will likely not be
useful at HF.
The whole idea that reducing RF on the earphone will be beneficial is
nonsense.
Right along the lines with the PC card antenna that fits under the
cell phone battery.
Dale W4OP

I don't think the ferrite cores for cell phone headsets are for improving
reception--they're for reducing your chances of getting brain cancer. If
they make a difference in this regard, who knows...

You missed my point- they are no more useful at preventing brain cancer than
is the "antenna enhancer" card for extending cell phone range.

Dale W4OP

Old February 5th 05, 12:54 AM

I picked up some ferrite cores today and have been attaching them to
power cords, computer cables and my coaxial feedline. I can report a
definite reduction in noise. This is especially gratifying because
ferrite cores aren't too expensive.

Any advice about how to position these cores? Are they best placed
close to the electrical outlet or close to the computer, receiver or
device being used (or both)? Would appreciate your insights.

Thanks....Steve

I have found that I get the most noise reduction by
placing them as close to the RFI source as I can get.
I have found a very good source for ferrite "beads",
your local PC/TV repair shop. They often have lots of dead
VGA monitors, keyboards, mice etc. Almost all of these
have ferrite RFI supression one the cables. I wangled
permssion to cut the cables with the big blobs of plastic
off flush with the device. For the smaller items, mice,
keyboards, older hand held parallel scanners etc, I had
to agree to haul the "junk" off.
A little careful work with a sharp knife and you can
extract the ferrite beads. They, for th emost part,
aren't the type that snap togather, but I am willing to
replace a few connectors to get some quite.
Lots of RFI supresion for cheap.
Th efew snap apart feritte beads I got I used for
keyboards, my VGA monitor and other hard to replace
connectors.
I found that palcing several (10) on the coax that
carries my SW RF in I knocked the last RFI from the PC
down to "yea it's there, but it isn't a problem".
Terry

Old February 5th 05, 03:36 AM

I see some less expensive ones at www.partsexpress.com.

Steve