Old February 6th 05, 11:31 PM
Dale Parfitt

"helmsman" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:02:12 -0500, dxAce wrote:
helmsman wrote:

RYS is the call. Anyone know who it is?
Is there a web page to identify these beacons?

http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info

Grosse Ile, MI 419 kHz

Also see:

http://frodo.bruderhof.com/ka2qpg/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Thanks, strange though, I'm using a 500 & 2.4k filter for CW and only get

a whistle on
419. 420 kHz is clear as a bell.

This is MCW- modulated CW, so you are likely listening to the tone sideband
in CW mode.

Dale W4OP

Old February 7th 05, 01:38 PM
Al

QG is Winsor Ontario. You sure thats not it?

B.H.

Guess that was a Loooooooooooooooooooooong T!

Most of the time Canadian beacons transmit a long dash after their ID
(sometimes called DAID) as opposed to long silence as in the US beacons.
QG carrier transmits on 353kHz with a tone of 400Hz that's why it appears
to be near 353.5kHz. QG with a DAID sounds like QG long T.

Listening to beacons can be a form of DX in itself. So far I have 489
beacons logged consisting of 30 US states, 46 Canadian, and a total of 17
countries. My furthest beacon is IPA, Isla de Pascua (Easter Island), Chile
on 280kHz, 3,990 miles away. They have a 3kW transmitter so they are a
rather easy copy. Most NDBs (non directional beacons) are under 25 watts of
power.

Don't get sucked into listening for NDBs or you will be up all night
listening to, as my wife calls it, strange beep beeps.

Al KA5JGV
San Antonio, TX

Old February 7th 05, 05:14 PM
Brian Hill

"Al" wrote in message
[...]

There a good way to check propagation. After 25 years in the hobby I just
started paying attention to those little beeps. I've never messed around
with LF and VLF etc.. until recently and I find it interesting also.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old February 11th 05, 05:51 PM

Note that airnav doesn't include the ".51" in their database. For
instance, COR is at 205.51, but listed as 205 on airnav.

Also not that many military beacons are not listed on either the FCC
database or airnav. I have three examples, namely
xsd 278Khz Tonopah Test Range, Nevada
pyd 414kHz, Groom Lake, Nevada
aec 209khz Basecamp, Nevada (a cool NDB with voice on it)