Old February 12th 05, 10:55 AM
Mike Terry

Default Technicians answer radio Vanuatu reception dilemma

Fred Vurobaravu - Vanuatu Daily Post
Friday, February 11, 2005

The management of the Vanuatu Broadcasting and Television Corporation has
announced the resurrection of its short wave transmitter, which was fired up
4pm last Tuesday.

The people around the country who receive Radio Vanuatu services through the
short wave frequency can now hear the station again on 7260 KHz.

Prime Minister and Minister responsible for media Ham Lini specially
acknowledged the commitment and dedication of Radio Vanuatu senior
technician Willie Daniel with the technical support of the consultant
Hendrick Kettner to overcome the defaulted radio transmission wave link.

The transmitter went down during the week of Christmas. For seven weeks VBTC
technicians, led by Acting Technician Manager Daniel, sweated to revive the
transmitter.

Midway through January, Kettner was brought in to assist. At the same time
spare parts supplied by Radio Australia boosted their repair efforts.

Mr Kettner said the problem was a series of faults in many areas of the
transmitter, which took them time to identify and rectify.
He said the final answer to the puzzle was located Tuesday morning. In the
afternoon it was fixed and at 4 pm the transmitter was successfully fired
up.

The management has decided to allow the transmitter to run for a few weeks
before work begins to fix the faulty component for switching from the
daytime frequency of 7260 KHz to the night time frequency of 3940 KHz.

For now listeners in some parts of the country will experience loss of
signal starting from 5 pm to 7 am the next day. But during the day, the
signal should be clear.

The prime minister's office also thanked Rod Newel for the provision of the
services of his company the Renerel Tech Ltd to VBTC when the short wave
transmission was down for the last few months.

Radio reception in the islands is heavily reliant on the transmitter
functioning well. The President of the Republic of Vanuatu Kalkot
Mataskelekele has made repeated calls to have the radio transmissions in the
islands reopened so that people can have access to news, information and
entertainment.

http://www.news.vu/en/news/national/...ir-radio.shtml

Old February 12th 05, 12:42 PM
David Stinson

Mike Terry wrote:

The transmitter went down during the week of Christmas. For seven weeks VBTC
technicians, led by Acting Technician Manager Daniel, sweated to revive the
transmitter...

Translation:
"I hired my moron nephew as a 'technician.'
He can climb a palm tree and crack coconuts with the best,
but he didn't have a frocking clue of how to fix a transmitter.
I couldn't fire him without catching hell from my wife.
I'm sure glad a real tech showed up and fixed the damn thing."
Old February 13th 05, 12:24 AM
running dogg

David Stinson wrote:

Mike Terry wrote:

The transmitter went down during the week of Christmas. For seven weeks VBTC
technicians, led by Acting Technician Manager Daniel, sweated to revive the
transmitter...

Translation:
"I hired my moron nephew as a 'technician.'
He can climb a palm tree and crack coconuts with the best,
but he didn't have a frocking clue of how to fix a transmitter.
I couldn't fire him without catching hell from my wife.
I'm sure glad a real tech showed up and fixed the damn thing."

Well, there aren't a whole lot of people in Vanuatu, so I suppose they
didn't have a lot of choice in technicians.