Old February 16th 05, 04:03 AM
minerva

Default question

Will someone tell me who was on 5960 MHz about 6:45pm EST this evening.
They had a different tuning signal that i am not familiar with and then
they went off. I have not heard this station at this location before.
They played music, sounded a little Greek or an eastern europe country,
with an arabic beat, but not very, maybe more Armenian. anyone know?
thanks.
minerva
Old February 16th 05, 05:35 AM
ShortwaveMan

Looking in my Passport to Worldband Radio shows Voice of Turkey in Turkish 250,000 watts for the mideast. A good catch S.The turkish language is one of those languages in a class by themselves like Finnish and Hungarian and the language of the Basques in Spain. Where are you located ?

God gives Peace not war +

Old February 17th 05, 05:51 AM
minerva

Right Tony, I rechecked it again this evening. I do not know when they
start but they sign off at about 6:50pm eastern time. He said in
English that they are broadcasting to Europe and North American. I was
thrilled to hear something new as I do not think I have ever heard
Turkey before, must be good atmospherics and by then the sun is down.
As it gets lighter everyday, I wonder if it will be as strong. My
little portable is not the greatest for speakers but at the end, I heard
him announce their web site as .tr and then i knew. I also want to
check out the internet to see if they are bitcasters.
Yes, the language has a bit of everything Mediterranean in it. Later at
night, there is something else on the same site in English, I think it
is China. And the news you get on short-wave outclasses anything we get
in the states. There appear to be some changes in the line up lately in
the stations, probably something seasonal, but there was something new
on 9845 around 7. The announcer sounded Australian and there was an
emphasis on african news, but I had to turn off and do something else,
so tomorrow, i have to see what that was all about.
I am on the US east coast, in the DC area.
minerva

Tony Meloche wrote:

ShortwaveMan wrote:
Looking in my Passport to Worldband Radio shows Voice of Turkey in
Turkish 250,000 watts for the mideast. A good catch S.The turkish
language is one of those languages in a class by themselves like Finnish
and Hungarian and the language of the Basques in Spain. Where are you
located ?

I'll verify with Shortwave man - it was almost certainly the Voice
of Turkey. Their broadcast at that hour (2300-2400 UTC)is aimed at
North America, too. But my source shows their transmitter power as
500,000W - a real blowtorch. I've logged them there many times.

Tony

"minerva"
mailto ...

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
transmitter question - its a dousy duckman Equipment 6 December 10th 03 05:46 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM