Old February 16th 05, 07:32 PM
Lucky

Default Electronic/Potentiometer Help Needed

Hi guys

I bought a replacement potentiometer for my Kenwood R-5000 part #
R19-9405-05 It's the the dual IF_Shift/NB dial.

The problem is, on the old part, it only has 2 connectors on it for the 2
wires for each poteniometer. But on this new part, there is 3 connectors for
wires.

Which connectors do I use for the 2 wires? It's the right part since it was
shipped from Japan and has numerous paper attachments showing it to be the
right part.

2 wires but 3 connectors.

BTW, sigh I am fixing a radio I bought from Radio-Mart when I first
started out in SWL a while back. I know, I know...

Lucky

Old February 16th 05, 10:41 PM
clifto

Lucky wrote:
I bought a replacement potentiometer for my Kenwood R-5000 part #
R19-9405-05 It's the the dual IF_Shift/NB dial.

The problem is, on the old part, it only has 2 connectors on it for the 2
wires for each poteniometer. But on this new part, there is 3 connectors for
wires.

Provided that it is indeed the right part:

There's left, middle and right. One of the wires on the old part is on
either left or right (and the other is missing, as you say); connect it
to the same side on the new part, i.e. if it was on the left terminal
on the old part, put it on the left terminal on the new one.

Then connect the other wire, which was on the center terminal, to the
center terminal of the new part, AND to the unused terminal.

Normally you'd leave the third terminal unconnected; this would give
you the exact same thing you had. But connecting the unused terminal
in this way tends to reduce the effects of dirt in the potentiometer,
i.e. when it gets noisy it'll get less noisy.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Never forgotten: Chane, Tigger, Koshka, Serenity, Rocky
Old February 16th 05, 11:12 PM
Lucky

"clifto" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:
[...]

Yes there are only 2 wires coming from the old part. Left and right. No
middle.

Considering I bought this from Radio-Mart {oh it hurts to say this} it could
be a part from a car.

So you're saying connect the left wire from the old part to the far left of
the new pot. Then take the right wire from the old part and connect it to
the middle connector on the new part.

Then jump the middle to the far right on the new part.

Correct?

Thanks for your help

Lucky

Old February 18th 05, 04:25 AM
Lucky

"clifto" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:
"clifto" wrote...
Provided that it is indeed the right part:

There's left, middle and right.

Yes there are only 2 wires coming from the old part. Left and right. No
middle.

That doesn't sound like a potentiometer. Hook an ohmmeter to the two
terminals on the old part and make sure the resistance changes when
the shaft is rotated.

The "middle" terminal is the moving terminal, of course.

--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Never forgotten: Chane, Tigger, Koshka, Serenity, Rocky

Well,

It's the same IF_shift / NB pot as the old one except for the number of
terminals. Let me get my ohm meter out.

Lucky

Needed "data processing magazine" also any of same topic are from 50's 60's 70's such as "Datamation", ACM conference proceedings, Early AFIPS, and others. ed sharpe Equipment 0 June 2nd 04 06:57 AM
Voiceover talent now needed! Susan Broadcasting 0 May 25th 04 03:55 PM
Manual Needed for NCG 10/160M AKA National (Panasonic) RJX-810D W4UDX Equipment 0 August 17th 03 04:13 PM
Motorola Info needed????? karl Swap 0 July 26th 03 07:29 PM
WTB: Heathkit Chippewa KL-1 Manual needed William Warren Boatanchors 0 July 19th 03 11:19 PM