Old February 16th 05, 07:43 PM
Chris Hill

Default Considering a new receiver.

I used to be an avid listener about 15 years ago or more and I've
started playing with it again. I currently have an old Radio shack
digital receiver, made in '89 or so. It works, but I'm tired of its
background noise and it is suffering from loose antenna connections
and other problems. I always wanted a real communications receiver,
and I may just up and buy one, when you're a kid money is always
tight.

I'm trying to choose among what is currently available, and I'm in a
special situation. I am blind and I want a receiver I can use fairly
well. I'm into computers so I am either going to buy one of the
computer-controlled units or something like the Icom R75 with the
speech synthesizer option. I was looking at the Ten Tec 320d on the
computer-controlled end for comparison.

Here's what I'd liketo know:
1. Does the Icom r75 or even the 8500 if anybody knows allow one to
add memories by entering a frequency and once on it, just putting a
memory number in?
2. Are the controls for functions specific knobs or do you have to go
through menus that won't speak in order to change things?
3. How does the r75 sound?

On the Ten Tech, I'd like to know if you can enter a frequency by
typing it in, and would the lack of a knotch filter (something I've
always thought would be nice) be a real big disadvantage?

I'm really tempted to go with the icom, then I wouldn't have to run a
computer to make it work. The Ten Tec is definitely cheaper, though,
and I have enough computing power around here to satisfy a small third
world country. My main interests are broadcast stations, and any
marine stuff I can find.

Thanks.

Old February 16th 05, 07:59 PM

Hi, and welcome to the hobby. One other possibility would be a used
Kenwod R5000 with the voice synthesizer module.

Old February 16th 05, 08:42 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello Chris.

Your letter does not make clear whether you are totally blind or have
partial sight. If you do have partial sight, the Grundig Satellit 800
might be a good choice for you. It is big, it has well-spaced controls,
and each of the controls performs only one function. The display is
very large with very big LCD characters and good LED lighting. While it
cannot be computer-controlled and does not have a notch filter, it does
have one of the best synchronous selectable sideband circuits available
and its sound is superb. The memory function would be exactly as you
require in (1.) in your letter.

Even if you are totally blind, the controls are easy to find by touch
and easy to use. Once you know their function, it is no problem to
operate the receiver to full advantage.

Also, at least at first, you need no external antenna. Its built-in
amplified whip is very good for listening to the more powerful stations
and, if you are located in a relatively electrically-quiet area, it may
suffice for some good DX as well. The radio has facilities for adding
three external antennas: two for LW/MW/SW and one for FM broadcast.

It is one of the very best receivers for program listening. While there
are some receivers which are better overall, they cost at least $1000
more than the Satellit 800. The Grundig sells new for only $450.00 and
it needs no third-party modifications as does the ICOM IC-R75.

If you are interested in more information about this receiver, you can
ask me, or, better yet, telephone et=F3n-Grundig toll-free at
1-800-872-2228 or Universal Radio at 1-800-431-3939. If you order a
Grundig Satellit 800 from Universal, they will, upon your request,
bench-test the particular unit they are going to ship to you, free of
charge, so you will have no "surprises" when you receive it.

The ICOM IC-R75 is a good receiver but it has too many shortcomings for
my taste, including so-so sound and an essentially non-functioning sync
circuit. (That can be overcome by ECSS tuning technique, but that is
rather complex and inconvenient for a program listener.)

I hope you will investigate the Grundig Satellit 800. I think you would
like it.

Best,

Joe

Old February 17th 05, 06:03 PM
Michael Lawson

"Chris Hill" wrote in message
I used to be an avid listener about 15 years ago or more and I've
started playing with it again. I currently have an old Radio shack
digital receiver, made in '89 or so. It works, but I'm tired of its
background noise and it is suffering from loose antenna connections
and other problems. I always wanted a real communications receiver,
and I may just up and buy one, when you're a kid money is always
tight.

Which receiver?? The DX-440?? Mine still
does a serviceable job as a backup, and for
getting the kids interested in shortwave.

[...]

My thinking is that if you're interested in a big spaced
radio for something like legal blindness but not total
blindness, you can use a Grundig Sat 800, because it
has wide spacings between buttons and good sized
knobs to work with.

If you pretty much require a computer to work with
the radio, go for one with an advanced instruction
set. The older Icom IC-R71A and Kenwood R-5000
don't have the instruction sets that the newer models
do. Aside from that, I'd not be much help with computer
control of a shortwave, since I don't use one that way.

--Mike L.

Old February 18th 05, 03:20 AM
Chris Hill

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:03:33 -0500, "Michael Lawson"
Which receiver?? The DX-440?? Mine still
does a serviceable job as a backup, and for
getting the kids interested in shortwave.

This is a dx440, fairly decent except for the whine of the circuitry
and a little drift on ssb. I'd really like to have better
selectivity, though. If I tune in wwv on 10mhz, I can hear the
station on 9.885 enough to be annoying.

Old February 18th 05, 01:47 PM
Chris Hill

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:22:29 GMT, Conan Ford
wrote:

Chris Hill wrote in
:

This is a dx440, fairly decent except for the whine of the circuitry
and a little drift on ssb. I'd really like to have better
selectivity, though. If I tune in wwv on 10mhz, I can hear the
station on 9.885 enough to be annoying.

This sounds to me like the DX-440 is misaligned on AM.

Could be. I figured it was just a poor receiver with bad filters, 16
years old or a combination thereof.
Old February 18th 05, 02:42 PM
Michael Lawson

"Conan Ford" wrote in message
.159...
Chris Hill wrote in
:

This is a dx440, fairly decent except for the whine of the

circuitry
and a little drift on ssb. I'd really like to have better
selectivity, though. If I tune in wwv on 10mhz, I can hear the
station on 9.885 enough to be annoying.

This sounds to me like the DX-440 is misaligned on AM.

Agreed. I pulled out mine and attached it to my 50'
inverted L, and I didn't have that problem. The old
whine of the circuitry is still there, but considering
everything else about it, I don't mind. That said, I
guess you'd have to have it aligned by someone
to fix it.

--Mike L.