Old February 19th 05, 07:41 PM
ShortwaveMan

Default "Huge 'star-quake' rocks Milky Way"

http://www.nature.com/index.html

~~~~~ God gives Peace not war +

"Conan Ford" wrote in message
.159...
Anyone remember what propagation was like on 27 December?

Huge 'star-quake' rocks Milky Way

Astronomers say they have been stunned by the amount of energy released in
a star explosion on the far side of our galaxy, 50,000 light-years away.

The flash of radiation on 27 December was so powerful that it bounced off
the Moon and lit up the Earth's atmosphere.

The initial burst of high-energy radiation subsided quickly but there
continues to be an afterglow at longer radio wavelengths.

Old February 19th 05, 07:49 PM
Telamon

In article ,
Conan Ford wrote:

Anyone remember what propagation was like on 27 December?

Huge 'star-quake' rocks Milky Way

Astronomers say they have been stunned by the amount of energy released in
a star explosion on the far side of our galaxy, 50,000 light-years away.

The flash of radiation on 27 December was so powerful that it bounced off
the Moon and lit up the Earth's atmosphere.

The initial burst of high-energy radiation subsided quickly but there
continues to be an afterglow at longer radio wavelengths.

The upper atmosphere was affected. Low frequency communications was
supposed to be affected by this event but I could not find any further
descriptions.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 19th 05, 09:47 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth Conan Ford in
.159:

Anyone remember what propagation was like on 27 December?

Didn't I read somewhere about gravity waves travelling a little
faster than light?

I'm just thinking about those big geological events on 25 and 26
December.

Ah, yes. http://physics.about.com/cs/gravity/a/speedofgravity.htm

1.06 c.

Well, that tears the idea of that association, as the associated
gravity wave would have passed through some 2,830 years ago.

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every
Old February 19th 05, 11:00 PM
yea right

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:47:57 +0000, Tom Betz wrote:

Quoth Conan Ford in
.159:

Anyone remember what propagation was like on 27 December?

Didn't I read somewhere about gravity waves travelling a little faster
than light?

I'm just thinking about those big geological events on 25 and 26 December.

Ah, yes. http://physics.about.com/cs/gravity/a/speedofgravity.htm

1.06 c.

Well, that tears the idea of that association, as the associated gravity
wave would have passed through some 2,830 years ago.

possibly 1.06 times faster than the speed of light!

The word possibly does not mean it's fact. You still could be right