RadioBanter

-   -   A Tribute to the Bible (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/65262-tribute-bible.html)

Al Patrick February 23rd 05 03:09 AM

A Tribute to the Bible

Copied from page 241 of the New Testament of a 1963 edition of Dake's
Annotated Reference Bible. As far as I know ALL his Bible's are King
James Only.

[ALL TYPOS ARE MINE ALONE! I think I'll copyright them!] :-) [Where
he underlined for emphasis I'll use upper case.]

===========

A Tribute to the Bible

The Bible is not an amulet, a charm, a fetish, or a book that will work
wonders by its very presence.

IT IS a book that will work wonders in every life, here and hereafter,
if acted upon and obeyed in faith and sincerity. IT IS God's inspired
revelation of the origin and destiny of all things, written in the most
simple human language possible so that the most unlearned can understand
and obey its teachings. IT IS self-interpreting and covers every
subject of human knowledge and need now and forever.

AS A LITERARY COMPOSITION, the Bible is the most remarkable book ever
made. It is a divine library of 66 books, some of considerable size,
and others no larger than a tract. THESE BOOKS INCLUDE various forms of
literature - history, biography, poetry, proverbial sayings, hymns,
letters, directions for elaborate ritualistic worship, laws, parables,
riddles, allegories, prophecy, drama, and others. They embrace all
manner of literary styles in human expression.

IT IS THE BOOK THAT REVEALS the mind of God, the state of man, the way
of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its
doctrines are holy, its precepts binding, its histories true, and its
decisions immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and
practice it to be holy. The Bible contains light to direct you, food to
support you, and comfort to cheer you. It is the traveler's map, the
pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the
Christian's charter. Here heaven is opened, and the gates of hell
disclosed. Christ is its grand subject, our good is its design, and the
glory of God its end. It should fill your memory, rule your heart, and
guide your feet in righteousness and true holiness. Read it slowly,
frequently, prayerfully, meditatively, searchingly, devotionally, and
study it constantly, perseveringly, and industriously. Read it through
and through until it becomes part of your being and generates faith that
will move mountains. The Bible is a mine of wealth, the source of
health, and a world of pleasure. It is given to you in this life, will
be opened at the judgment, and will stand forever. It involves the
highest responsibility, will reward the least to the greatest of labor,
and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

Honus February 23rd 05 03:51 AM

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

That means absolutely nothing, and the same claims could be made by any
other holy book. And written in the most simple human language possible?
What hyperbole! It was written in an inferior language, plain and simple.
Having a word for "sphere" or "globe", etc. for example would have made the
whole is the Earth round or flat debate moot. I won't even go near the
"almah" means young lady vs. virgin debate. And as for understanding and
obeying its teachings, yeah...right. that's why they're more subsets of
Christianity than you can name.

Al Patrick February 23rd 05 04:26 AM

Honus wrote:

"Al Patrick" wrote in message

Copied from page 241 of the New Testament of a 1963 edition of Dake's
Annotated Reference Bible. As far as I know ALL his Bible's are King
James Only.

[ALL TYPOS ARE MINE ALONE! I think I'll copyright them!] :-) [Where
he underlined for emphasis I'll use upper case.]

===========

A Tribute to the Bible

s n i p

It was written in an inferior language, plain and simple.

You'd better be careful, Honus. Comments like that will get you LABELED
as ANTI-SEMITIC ! Wasn't most of it written in HEBREW? :-)

I can see the headlines now, HONUS, ANTI-SEMITIC

Brian Oakley February 23rd 05 04:33 AM

"Honus" wrote in message

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

I have to disagree. The Koran cant work wonders as it teaches its followers
to kill all infidels. As for language, simple means simple, doesn't mean it
translates exactly the way you want it to in whatever language you choose.
As for the "almah" "debate", the writers of the Septuagint clearly
understood the meaning of the Hebrew and translated it with the Greek word
for "virgin". That argument is pretty much closed. As for "subsets" of
Christianity, more properly called denominations, that has nothing to do
with disobeying the Bible at all. It has to do with interpretation.
Different verses can be understood in different ways. Sometimes our lack of
ability to clearly translate an ancient language into our own lends itself
to such differences of interpretation. The prayer of Jabez comes to mind.
For you to dismiss the Bible as a mere book just indicates that you don't
realize how it has changed peoples lives. If everyone lived by the teachings
of Jesus, there would be no hate, no selfishness, no lust, no murder, no
theft. You cant say that about any other "holy" book.

Honus February 23rd 05 04:34 AM

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
Honus wrote:

It was written in an inferior language, plain and simple.

You'd better be careful, Honus. Comments like that will get you LABELED
as ANTI-SEMITIC ! Wasn't most of it written in HEBREW? :-)

I can see the headlines now, HONUS, ANTI-SEMITIC

Nice try, but no cigar. I don't think anyone here (including you) is going
to seriously accuse me of being an anti-Semite.

Come to think of it, that wasn't even a nice try.

And my point stands. I see you didn't try to refute it. Smart boy. ;)

chulacabra February 23rd 05 06:09 AM

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
Copied from page 241 of the New Testament of a 1963 edition of Dake's
Annotated Reference Bible. As far as I know ALL his Bible's are King
James Only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Go for it Albert !

Honus February 23rd 05 06:28 AM

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

I have to disagree.

Gosh. I didn't see -that- coming.

The Koran cant work wonders as it teaches its followers
to kill all infidels.

Of course, you can find -millions- of Muslims that say that it doesn't. And
of course, Christians have been killing infidels since Day ****ing One. And
saying that the Koran can't work wonders is extraordinarily ignorant. IIRC
it's the fastest growing religion in if not the US then the world. Are these
people converting because they're craven evil *******s that want to fill
their lives with sin? Or is it more likely that they're experienceing the
change that you think only comes with Christianity? You know...the one that
you're so smugly dismissing?

As for language, simple means simple, doesn't mean it
translates exactly the way you want it to in whatever language you choose.

The point is that God could have either selected a better language or made
Hebrew more suitable for his purpose.

As for the "almah" "debate", the writers of the Septuagint clearly
understood the meaning of the Hebrew and translated it with the Greek word
for "virgin". That argument is pretty much closed.

Wrong. Do some research. I would advise asking Jews what the words mean.
It's their language, after all. But you might not like the answer.

As for "subsets" of
Christianity, more properly called denominations, that has nothing to do
with disobeying the Bible at all. It has to do with interpretation.

Which wouldn't be an issue if God had "either selected a better language or
made Hebrew more suitable for his purpose." I don't need your help...really.

Different verses can be understood in different ways. Sometimes our lack

of
ability to clearly translate an ancient language into our own lends itself
to such differences of interpretation. The prayer of Jabez comes to mind.

See above.

For you to dismiss the Bible as a mere book just indicates that you don't
realize how it has changed peoples lives.

You don't know me or my background. Do a little research before you make an
ass of yourself.

If everyone lived by the teachings
of Jesus, there would be no hate, no selfishness, no lust, no murder, no
theft. You cant say that about any other "holy" book.

In other words, no sin. Therefore, it's -impossible- to live as you
describe. God says so.

You just go on telling yourself that you've got the One True Faith. Nothing
I can say is going to change your mind. Do you -really- believe that no
other religion teaches morality comparable to yours? Don't answer; I already
know what you're going to say. By the way...ever read up on Bhuddists?

Simon Mason February 23rd 05 08:58 AM

"Al Patrick" wrote in message

IT IS self-interpreting and covers every
subject of human knowledge and need now and forever.

I can't find anything about Nuclear Physics in mine.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and
practice it to be holy.

Somebody poked me in the eye and it says in the bible I have to poke him
back, whereas I wanted to forgive him. Oops, I read the wrong bit!
--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Al Patrick February 23rd 05 12:44 PM

Where's the connection? You quote from A Tribute to the Bible and refer
me to a "documentary" video about a dead preacher! SHAME! throw him
off the newsgroup! You KNOW we ALWAYS follow protocol here! ;-)

========

chulacabra wrote:

"Al Patrick" wrote in message

Copied from page 241 of the New Testament of a 1963 edition of Dake's
Annotated Reference Bible. As far as I know ALL his Bible's are King
James Only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Go for it Albert !

February 23rd 05 01:39 PM

I do need some advice regarding some other elements
of God's Laws and how to follow them:

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and
female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A
friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not
Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think a fair price
would be for her?

3. I know that I am not allowed to contact with a woman while she is
in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Lev. 15:19-24) The
problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women
take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates
a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev.1:9). The problem is, my
neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should
I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally
obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do
it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a less abomination than
homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there
'degrees' of abomination.

7. Lev. 21:20 sates that I may not approach the altar of God if I
have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading
glasses. Does my vision have to b e 20/20, or is there some
wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the
hair around their temples, even though this is expressly
forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes
me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two
different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing
two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also
tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that
we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to
stone them? (Lev. 24:10-16) Could we just burn them death at a
private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with
their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy
considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can
help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and
unchanging.

rj