Old March 10th 05, 01:14 AM
dxAce

David Eduardo wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"roger carroll" wrote:

Sorry David your personal political views are showing....I'm talking
about the sound of the station. If KFI was "left wing" it would still
be the best sounding station in LA nothing to do with politics,,,they
do everything the correct way and tied for number #1 in LA. rc

KFI is 50kW with a real nice antenna.

Actually, it is 25 kw with a top-loaded 1/8 wave vertical. There is no
"nice" antenna anymore.

When did they reduce power? Everything I check still shows them at 50 kW,
including the FCC data.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 10th 05, 01:14 AM
David

And American Idol is the number one TV show.

On 8 Mar 2005 23:22:56 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
It is very stale and old-fashioned sounding. They've been using Ratt
for the News Sounder for what, five years now? There news sucks; all
Michale Jackson and Robert Blake. Their Drive Time is wall to wall
commercials, except for the ranting about the Mexicans. It's awful.

And it is tied for #1 in LA in the latest Arbitrends.

Old March 10th 05, 01:14 AM
David Eduardo

wrote in message ...
David, I disagree I worked at KMPC for 22 years we had the best news
dept in Los Angeles now it's KFI. The hard news on the hour and half
hour also breaking news coverage IMHO is the best. From your comments
you don't like KFI, use the "on" and "off" button. I have nothing to do
with KFI, as a former air talent, Vice President of Gene Autry's
GWB,owner of KMPC, KSFO, KVI, KEX, and owner of radio stations my views
are not personal. KFI is far from being stale and old fashion
sounding. 1260, you have to be kidding. Are you in broadcasting??
David, I repeat nothing personal, just disagree. Also, don't know her.
Terri Raye Elmer KFI, one of the best newscasters in LA.
roger carroll, retired living the good life on Alamits Bay

David,

What Roger may not want to say, I will: GWB, while Roger was there, was one
of the absolute finest radio companies in America if not the entire world.
Service, responsibility, strong, live personalities, localism, high
technical standards, decent treatment of the staff and general responsible
business practices while making a profit.

Those of us still in radio would be honored to be considered to be in the
same league as Roger.

Because of this, if roger says it, it is likely 99.9% correct. And that goes
for his latest post.

Old March 10th 05, 09:02 PM
David Eduardo

dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"roger carroll" wrote:

Sorry David your personal political views are showing....I'm talking
about the sound of the station. If KFI was "left wing" it would still
be the best sounding station in LA nothing to do with politics,,,they
do everything the correct way and tied for number #1 in LA. rc

KFI is 50kW with a real nice antenna.

Actually, it is 25 kw with a top-loaded 1/8 wave vertical. There is no
"nice" antenna anymore.

When did they reduce power? Everything I check still shows them at 50 kW,
including the FCC data.

They lost the licensed tower in an aircraft collision late last year. They
are running an existing
auxiliary tower in a nonconforming operation at half-power until such time
as the
half-waver can be rebuilt at the current site or a new site found. The
auxiliary tower, which was put into use within a couple of hours of the
aircraft tragedy, can not handle full power as it is very short.

Getting permits to rebuild the tower may take many more months. During this
time, KFI is running 25 kw. It is not necessary to re-license a station for
a bona fide emergency operation.

The tower can not immediately be rebuilt as it qualifies as a totally new
structure, subject to today's codes and regulations, not those in effect
when the old tower was built in 1947.

A number of area broadcast engineers or engineering departments have
"souvenirs" of the old tower. We have a piece of ATU insulation, a shard
from the beacon and a piece of an insulator, as well as some paint flakes in
both white and orange. .

Old March 10th 05, 09:33 PM
dxAce

David Eduardo wrote:

dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"roger carroll" wrote:

[...]

Yes, I had forgotten the fact that the tower had been toppled a while back.

Wasn't there some question at the time as to whether they could actually rebuild
on that same site?

Unfortunately I am no longer able to hear KFI here due to a local on the
frequency, though I do have them QSL'd (one of my very few MW QSL's).

I think I will call the local to inquire as to when they might be down for
maintenance.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 10th 05, 10:05 PM
running dogg

David Eduardo wrote:

dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"roger carroll" wrote:

[...]

When KDKA's tower was knocked down in a storm in 1995 they decided to
cut it up and sell it as souvenirs. I have a round piece of it, frozen
in lucite. The tower dated back to 1920 and was the world's first
commercial radio tower. I can't remember how much it cost, but the cost
was a donation to the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

Old March 11th 05, 12:31 AM
David Eduardo

"dxAce" wrote in message

Wasn't there some question at the time as to whether they could actually
rebuild
on that same site?

There are many obstacles, including the city where the tower is located and
the nearby airport as well as fall zone rules, etc. Best guess a b¿mong the
local engineering circle is 12 to 18 months, and the tower will probably
have to be strobed.

Unfortunately I am no longer able to hear KFI here due to a local on the
frequency, though I do have them QSL'd (one of my very few MW QSL's).

Just 75 miles from the site, I hear the Cd Juarez and Parral, Mexico,
stations often on top of KFI. There is no such thing as a clear channel any
more.

Old March 11th 05, 12:34 AM
David Eduardo

"running dogg" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

When KDKA's tower was knocked down in a storm in 1995 they decided to
cut it up and sell it as souvenirs. I have a round piece of it, frozen
in lucite. The tower dated back to 1920 and was the world's first
commercial radio tower. I can't remember how much it cost, but the cost
was a donation to the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.

The hospital got it wrong... and I have several of the Lucite-embedded
slices of steel.

In about 1928 or 1929 KDKA built the tower that came down in 1995. It
actually fell on the first try, and had to be rebuilt. There was an article,
including a cover picture, in an 1929 issue of Radio World. Interestingly,
they built a ring of 1/8 wave towers around the big tower with a curtain
hung from them to attempt to reduce low angle sky wave. I never saw a report
anywhere on whether this worked.

Old March 11th 05, 06:36 AM
roger carroll [email protected]

Thank You, you are very kind. It's hard to believe how radio has
changed, we had 135 employes at KMPC everyone was a pro....That's the
way Gene Autry operated. rc