RadioBanter

-   -   Advanced antenna solution for noisey suburban area ??? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/65914-advanced-antenna-solution-noisey-suburban-area.html)

Michael March 4th 05 12:57 AM

Advanced antenna solution for noisey suburban area ???

Hiya...

Here is one I could use some help with.... As always, I'm always trying to
improve my sw listening capabilities. I have an R-75 and two very good
antennas on my roof. One is a G5RV and the other is a 200 foot wire that
utilizes a coax feed and matching transformer. Both are very good antennas.
I've thought about getting a new radio to improve my capabilities and I've
tried a few radios on loan from friends. Those radios include the NRD-545,
R8-A and R-5000. I've come to the painful conclusion that the performance
problem for me isn't my radio or my antennas. Both are good. The problem
for me is my area. I live in the northern NJ suburbs and it is a very noisy
area. I've read a bunch of web pages on antennas, but I haven't really
found any antenna solutions that boast to be ideal solutions for noisy
areas. I've got a fairly good understanding about antennas, but I'm not
advanced.

Does anyone have ANY ideas as to what would be an ideal antenna solution
that would offer me some improvement as far as increasing signal into my
radio and limiting noise ???

Money is no object, and neither is effort. I'll spend money on an "out of
the box" solution as well as put time into an elaborate home brew project.
Performance is key.

If it would help to know more about my current antennas, detailed info about
both of them is on my web page. The link is in my signature. Any
suggestions would be most welcome.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Jack Painter March 4th 05 01:22 AM

"Michael" wrote
[...]

Michael, you might try the "Wellsbrook Loop" that is so famous in the noisy
city-gardens of England. Since the interference you suffer from is not from
your own property, the noise-limiting "Hear It", Time-Wave or other
processors might also help.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

[email protected] March 4th 05 01:31 AM

I can vouch for the Wellbrook 330S. It's very quiet and an all-around
excellent antenna.

Might also be worth looking at the ClearSpeech DSP unit. I recently
added an old one to my setup and...well, I'm hearing very little white
noise. I don't even bother to use the squelch anymore.

Steve

[email protected] March 4th 05 01:34 AM

I have a big old wide fartin ass that can solve any radio or antenna
problem.
~Alice~

David March 4th 05 01:39 AM

http://www.grove-ent.com/ANC4.html

[email protected] March 4th 05 02:22 AM

Yes, but it generates a whole new set of problems.... :)

Steve

m II March 4th 05 02:38 AM

wrote:

I have a big old wide fartin ass that can solve any radio or antenna
problem.
~Alice~

So, Cuhulin..do you dress in women's clothing when you post as Alice?

mike

John Plimmer March 4th 05 03:28 AM

You have very good advice re using a Wellbrook ALA 1530/330 as they are
inherently less noisy than wire antenna's.
If mounted high on a pole with a rotator you will get a vast improvement on
your present setup.
See PASSPORT for good reviews on the Wellbrooks
Also, you can read my own experiences with active antenna's at the link
below
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Telamon March 4th 05 03:35 AM

In article %KOVd.36041$7z6.11098@lakeread04,
"Jack Painter" wrote:

[...]

Jack and sdaniel13 are giving you good advice. The best shot you have in
a noisy area is a small amplified loop. A shielded loop would be best.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

cupid March 4th 05 03:37 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 02:38:37 GMT, m II wrote:

wrote:

I have a big old wide fartin ass that can solve any radio or antenna
problem.
~Alice~

So, Cuhulin..do you dress in women's clothing when you post as Alice?

mike

You should know! That is the taste of his ass in your mouth right now.