RadioBanter

-   -   I'm looking to buy a SW receiver for my husband (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/66017-re-im-looking-buy-sw-receiver-my-husband.html)

[email protected] March 5th 05 04:49 PM

MFJ Enterprises or whatever else Antenna sources you know about.
cuhulin

Jim March 5th 05 05:25 PM

in a world of greedy companies pawning off cheap trash as a method to
extract your hard earned money while giving the very least possible in
return......... i HAVE been very happy with my sangean ats606 radio. its
small, good on batteries and will take a beating. it also runs circles
around all my other radios when using the whip. its not cheap but its
within your price range. for a little more money you can get a little
more radio with the sony 7600gr. its a little more serious radio with
single side band and synch lock. if your husband doesnt know what those
things are, then he isnt ready for them yet and probably would be better
served with the simpler radio. there are a butt-load of cheap junk
radios out there so do your research before you decide. its not that a
cheap radio cant be fun, but you dont want to pay too much for it.

[email protected] March 5th 05 06:51 PM

Then why do the several dozen hams/swls at eham.net give it a 4.1 out
of 5???? Are they all doing a Lewinski on Bob Crane??

No! Your beef is that it doesn't work well with the whip. Sangean
PURPOSELY did not put a preamp circuit in with the ship as other units,
BECAUSE they didn't want overload problems like the other units! I have
a Sony 7600. It has overload problems with an external antenna.
But....it is the best receiver when running off the whip because of the
amplification.

The whip on the 909 is nothing more than a decoration. Put an antenna
on the 909 and you've got a GREAT portable DX machine....

73, Bill - WA8MEA
TinyTenna Computer Services
TinyTenna, Michigan, USA
(Just east of the cereal capital of the world: TinyTennas of Battle
Creek.....)

[email protected] March 5th 05 07:21 PM

So, do you like Sangeans or don't you? If you have a preference, spit
it out man.

Steve

[email protected] March 6th 05 04:02 PM

I would have said the Sony 7600, too, since we just purchased one just
a couple of weeks ago.

That was UNTIL I learned of the new Sangean PT-80. You actually might
get more features for less money with this radio....

Call Toni at ALF Enteprises and talk to her. She said this radio
"kicks butt"..... (1.360.403.4840)

73, Bill - WA8MEA
DWM Communications
http://qth.com/dwm

Dr. Artaud March 7th 05 12:04 AM

" wrote in
ups.com:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/1080.html

Sangean PT-80

m II March 7th 05 12:20 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:35:06 -0800, wrote:

I'm looking to buy a SW receiver for my husband. He has a cheap one he got
at radio shack that he is not happy with. He likes to listen to the news
especially the BBC. He wants one that is small enough to use with headphones
while he standing and walking around at work.

I could spend up to $150.00 on this. I know nothing about these radios. I'd
like to get an idea of what would be a good one to buy possibly on Ebay.

Give him a BJ instead!

[email protected] March 7th 05 05:19 AM

Watkins-Johnson Radios.But I am not rich enough to own one.That is why I
am looking for a rich old widow woman to buy one for me.Hey,those six
single wimmins that moved out of the house next door to me last year
about eight months ago,they are sisters and they moved back into the
house again a few days ago but they aren't rich either.They sure are fun
though.I can spend the nights over there any time I want to,they told me
this afternoon.
cuhulin