RadioBanter

-   -   I'm looking to buy a SW receiver for my husband (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/66017-re-im-looking-buy-sw-receiver-my-husband.html)

[email protected] March 5th 05 04:02 AM

I'm looking to buy a SW receiver for my husband

www.universal-radio.com Some other folks in this news group can tell
you of some other good radio sites too.
cuhulin

:-: Ghost Chip :-: March 5th 05 04:44 AM

Try the Grundig YB-500PE at
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0550.html
GC

wrote in message

I'm looking to buy a SW receiver for my husband. He has a
cheap one he got
at radio shack that he is not happy with. He likes to listen
to the news
especially the BBC. He wants one that is small enough to use
with headphones
while he standing and walking around at work.

I could spend up to $150.00 on this. I know nothing about
these radios. I'd
like to get an idea of what would be a good one to buy
possibly on Ebay.

Joe Analssandrini March 5th 05 04:49 AM

Hello Ma'am.

Unfortunately it is difficult to combine portability in the sense you
mean with good performance. Also I have found that short wave radios do
not function well in most workplaces with their fluorescent lights,
computers, and other sources of interference. Short wave signals are
generally exceedingly weak and modern office equipment is especially
electrically noisy.

That said, there are two well-made radios that I would recommend. I own
several units of both models so I have a great deal of experience with
them.

They are both Sonys - the ICF-SW35, which can be purchased for $90.00
or less (often around $75.00) and the ICF-SW7600GR, which costs about
$130.00 - $160.00. These radios are both superior performers within
their price range and would offer excellent reception in proper
listening venues.

Whether your husband's workplace "qualifies" as a good listening venue
is something only you and he can judge.

If you choose to buy one of these Sonys, I strongly recommend that you
do NOT buy on eBay. Buy from a reputable dealer who will assist you if
there are any problems whatsoever. My first recommendation is Universal
Radio, an excellent dealer, though their prices on these two radios are
at the high end. A less expensive dealer is J&R Music World in New
York. There are also a few Yahoo! dealers which sell these radios at
fairly low prices.

My radios are between seven and three years old and the ICF-SW35's, for
example, are kept in my cars' glove compartments all year 'round. They
are robust - they'd need to be to "survive" in such conditions. Yet,
whenever I place their batteries in them, they work flawlessly. My
ICF-SW7600GR's are also very well constructed; I feel that this model
is the best small portable currently being manufactured.

Both are very easy on batteries; no AC-adaptor is necessary (or
desirable). I personally use rechargeable NiMH batteries which make the
running costs in the long run exceedingly low.

The major difference between the two are the presence of a synchronous
selectable sideband circuit on the '7600 (I know you have no idea what
that is, but take my word for it: it is good) and that the '7600 has a
keypad for directly entering frequencies which the '35 does not. Unlike
some other people however, I do not find the lack of a keypad to be a
detriment to the operation of the ICF-SW35. Its image-rejection is
superior to that of the '7600 (this is good, also). Both of these
models have many "memories" which allows the owner to "store" a great
number of "favored" frequencies.

I believe your husband would be pleased with either and who knows - you
may find that you enjoy listening as well!

All my best wishes,

Joe

[email protected] March 5th 05 05:04 AM

Judging from what I have read about the Sony SW7600GR radios,I think I
should go ahead and buy myself one of those radios.I have read before
both universal-radio and J&R are very good stores to do business with.I
think I will check out J&R if they sell the same model radio that
universal-radio sells.
cuhulin

Dr. Artaud March 5th 05 05:35 AM

wrote in
:

For not much more (perhaps $175) you can get the Sony 7600GR, overall the
best radio in this price category. It has Synchronous Detection (many
people desire this feature), which can improve reception under some
circumstances, Upper Sideband and Lower Sideband (USB and LSB), also
desired to listen to some military, aircraft, and ships), great battery
life, great looking, and it would be new, so it would be under warranty
and you wouldn't need to worry about getting an E-Bay lemon.

I like the following retailer:

http://www.aesham.com/

But here is another: Sony has the ludicrous prohibition against listing
prices online, so you may need to call or write the retailer to confirm
the price.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html (Sony 7600GR)
($175?)

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0400.html (Grundig Yacht
Boy 400 PE) $130

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3505.html (Sangean ATS-
505) $120

I would stick with one of the above. As I said, you can get them new and
under warranty for the price that you mentioned. They all have the USB
and LSB that I mentioned. (Sideband)

The standing and walking around part may be a problem though, since these
are not exactly pocket size. You are not going to get a pocket size radio
that performs well enough for shortwave. But these radio are easily
portable.

If you visit the web sites above, you should not need any accessories to
use the radios listed above, with the exception of the Sony. The
description seems to state that it does not come with an AC adapter.

Dr. Artaud

Tony Meloche March 5th 05 05:46 AM

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
[...]

Jen:

Joe has given you the best advice you will read here from anyone on
this particular subject - trust me.

Tony

mike maghakian March 5th 05 06:10 AM

the new tecsun PL-350 and the Degen DE-1103 would be good choices for less
than $75 and are available from the seller LIPYN on eBay.

both have gotten outstanding reviews and are very sensitive

[email protected] March 5th 05 08:19 AM

I would buy from either universal-radio or J&R.J&R offers free shipping
on most products they sell and about two days delivery time.I think.
cuhulin

[email protected] March 5th 05 12:30 PM

This is a very good " Standing and Walking around " headphone
shortwave radio..

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0100.html

also known as the Tecsun PL-200

http://images.google.com/images?q=te...=Google+Search