Old March 7th 05, 04:50 PM

Default Panasonic Model No.RF-2600

I bought the radio at a Service Merchandise store about 25 years
ago.There are three jacks near the bottom of the radio,EP/EXT SP IMP 3.2
8 (and that little symbol thingy that looks sort of like an upside down
horse shoe (Ohms?,I think,Hey,MR.Tiny-Tenna said I don't know what a
resistor is,that makes him smart and me dumb,eh? Not me! I am a
REPUBLICAN! I was dumb enough to buy one of his worthless no good
Tiny-Tennas but that will never happen again.I bought five resistors and
a variable whatever it is at a Radio Shack a couple of years ago for
something I was going to build but later on I forgot all about it) is
next to the 8) the next jack says, MPX OUT and the third jack says,REC
OUT.The radio also has a AM/SW RF GAIN switch and around the knob on
that switch it says on the right,DX and there are numbers around the
knob that range from 0 to 10 and next to the 10 it says LOCAL and to the
right of that switch there is another switch with a knob on it and above
that swtch it says,BFO PITCH Next to the BFO PITCH is a little tiny
toggle switch and above the switch it says,BFO and under BFO just above
that switch it says,OFF and under the switch it says,ON.Next to that
switch is an identical looking little tiny toggle switch and above that
switch it says,BAND WIDTH and under where it says BAND WIDTH it
says,WIDE and under the switch it says,NARROW (I sound just like Tex up
there in that Church Belfrey in the Kelly's Heroes movie) Just above
that switch there is a knob and above the knob it says.SW CAL.Can
anybody explain the functions and what those controls are used for? It
is an AM/FM/Shortwave radio and the shortwave bands range from,SW1
3.9-10 and SW2 10-16 and SW3 16-22 and SW4 22-28 On the front of the
radio under the speaker it says,BEAT FREQUENCY OSCILLATOR SSB/CW The
little owners manual I have that came with the radio doesn't hardly
explain anything about those controls.Of course there are other controls
on the radio I understand about such as,Power off and on,Light,Digital
display,(the radio also has a horizontal dial with the different bands
displayed on the dial and the dial rotates as I turn the tuning knob)
Volume,the big tuning knob,the selector switch knob for selecting the
bands,Bass,Treble.Thanks for any information.
cuhulin

Old March 7th 05, 05:22 PM

Hi. Was there a question in the message?

Old March 7th 05, 05:38 PM
KeyBoard In The Wilderness

The Bandwidth wide narrow is used when two stations are close together and
interfering.
In the narrow position the bandwidth is narrowed to help eliminate the
interfering station.

SSB is Single Sideband suppressed carrier transmission, see URL:
http://www.williamson-labs.com/480_ssb.htm
To receive SSB, the carrier must be inserted at the receiver -- this is one
the functions of the BFO.
Tune to the upper portion of the Ham bands and turn the BFO on and off to
hear how it works on the SSB signals.

For CW reception you are receiving the carrier only -- thus to hear a
tone -- the BFO beats against the signal to give an audible tone which can
be adjusted for the desired frequency by using the PITCH control. Tune the
lower portion of the Ham bands

The MUX OUT is probably an output to be connected to a FM demultiplexer to
receive FM stereo. Just a guess on this one.

The "upside horseshoe" is indeed ohms -- speaker impedance.

RF gain adjusts the front end receiver gain -- reduce gain for strong
stations to prevent overload -- increase gain for weak DX (distance)
stations.

--
KeyBoard In The Wilderness

Old March 7th 05, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the informaion.It all sounds clear enough for me to follow.
cuhulin