Old March 10th 05, 12:49 AM
Michael

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message

"jimg" wrote in message
anyone have any reasons/recommendations to buy the optional 9MHz and
455kHz filters for swl? universal radio wants over $200 for the
narrower AM filters, half the price of the receiver itself....

or do you think i should just get a ten-tec...i really don't want to
spend more than $600.....

jimg
Oregon
USA

I've been using my R-75 with the stock filters for two years. I also
have experience with the Drake R8 series and the Kenwood R-5000 to
compare the stock R-75 performance to. IMO, you really dont need any
additional filters in the R-75. It does just fine with what it comes
with. In the situations where you would need a different filter, there
are tricks you can do with the radio to make up for it. You would get
some use out of an optional filter, but it wont be worth the money.
The beauty of the R-75 is that it is a very low priced receiver that
has performance specs well above its cost. It is a SUPREME radio in
ssb, for DX'ing and utility. It is an "adequate" radio for broadcast
listening. The best use of extra money on the R-75 is to buy a nice
external speaker. The next step would be the Kiwa sync and audio mod.
Other then that, it is what it is.... It will never be a top flight
radio for broadcast listening like the R8b. Spending money on optional
filters defeats the purpose of getting an R-75. That being, value for
dollar.

Just my 2 cents.
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Michael

I bought the 2.8 9m filter for ECSS and Hams and I love it. Perfect for
those pesky AM stations and fantastic for Hams. I paid a whole $60
shipped off Ebay. My $50 rebate will pay for it.

The twin PBT on the R-75 can't be beat for DX'ing. The receiver is
extremely sensitive. There is no better rig for SSB for the money.

So for $485 {$425 for the receiver plus $60} I have a brand *new radio
with a warranty, a bunch of filters I can MIX and match plus *DSP.
Throw those twin PBT into the picture...and well you get the picture!

Lucky

I paid $450.00 for mine brand new and it came with the free UT-106 DSP
untit. I did not buy any additional filters, but I did have the Kiwa
mods done. The sync mod was $45.00 and the audio upgrade was $35.00.
Both mods were worth the price. One interesting thing I noticed with the
sync mod. Asside from improving the over all performance of the stock
sync, it also improved the performance of the NR function of the DSP
module. Before the Kiwa mods, the best you could do was set the DSP NR to
a setting of about 6 before you got all sorts of wobble. After the Kiwa
sync mod, I can use NR settings all the way up to 15 without the
distortion I got before the mod. There was no mention that the Kiwa sync
mod would improve the function of the DSP NR, but it did. Using ECSS
with the DSP module and the twin BPT, I find I can clean up just about
any weak and messy signal. Given the possible combinations that those
features and be tweaked in, I never saw need for an extra filter. For
only $ 60.00 though, I'd add filters. I'd want a 2.8 kHz filter in the 9
MHz IF and a 3.3 kHz filter in the 455 kHz IF. That would be kewl !!!!
If you could point me to where I could get them for $ 60.00, I'd buy them
tonight !!!!

Michael

He wants much more for the 257, not $60. More like $155 for the 257
shipped.

Lucky

$ 155 is too much !!!! It isnt over priced, but I wouldent spend that much
for a filter for an R-75. Id save up a few more bucks and get another radio
:-) Thanx for the tip, though !!!

Michael

Old March 10th 05, 01:06 AM
Lucky

"Michael" wrote in message

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message

"jimg" wrote in message
[...]

Just get the 2.8

I hear the 3.3 is too wide. Let's the carrier and other garbage in.
Price/performance wise all you need is the 2.8

Lucky

Old March 10th 05, 01:35 AM
Lucky

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
"jimg" wrote in message

[...]

BaSically, I agree. I pondered the idea of getting the extra filters,
but given my listening preferences, there is no way I'd get my money's
worth out of them. The most useful thing you can get for the Icom is the
DSP filter, which it invariably comes with today, anyhow. And with the
exellent ECSS capability, I don't even miss the Kiwa mod.

Tony

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

I agree. For $485 I have DSP and a bunch of filters I can play with. Well
worth the money.

Lucky

Old March 10th 05, 02:32 AM
Brian Denley

jimg wrote:
anyone have any reasons/recommendations to buy the optional 9MHz and
455kHz filters for swl? universal radio wants over $200 for the
narrower AM filters, half the price of the receiver itself....

or do you think i should just get a ten-tec...i really don't want to
spend more than $600.....

jimg
Oregon
USA

get the Ten-Tec

--
Brian Denley

Old March 10th 05, 04:50 AM
mike maghakian

I hope you mean the 320 and not the 350.

the 350 is a piece of SH!t

I emailed them, they have NO plans to upgrade the firmware and it has been
two and 1/2 years now

I OWNED one so I know the 350 sucks

Old March 10th 05, 05:58 AM
jimg

thanks to everyone for their advice. I appreciate it, and though it
makes me more confident about buying an R-75, it's clear that for
DX I should get the sync det pll filter kiwa mod and the audio mod as
well as the narrower 9mhz if filter...so up to $800...wow..

also to answer someone...my antenna is a 120' end fed sloper with
10:1 balun and a dual ground rod system, i.e. one rod within 8' of the
balun, and another within 10' of the rcvr. the input coax is 50' low
loss r8u.

thnx all, jimg
jimg
Oregon
USA
Old March 10th 05, 06:16 AM
starman

patgkz wrote:

Leave it to Icom....they'll sell you a $1000 receiver for $549 then charge
you 100-200 per filter.....that's just the way the game is played these
days.

I purchased a like-new Drake R-8 with VHF and accessory speaker for under
$600 on ebay. No extra filters to buy here. Just enjoying great reception.

It does make me wonder how the Icom filters could be worth what they get
for them. You can buy the legendary Collins mechanical filters for those
prices. Drake made a good decision by using a low second IF (50-Khz)
which permits the use of much less costly LC filters that perform well.

Old March 10th 05, 06:20 AM
starman

mike maghakian wrote:

I hope you mean the 320 and not the 350.

the 350 is a piece of SH!t

I emailed them, they have NO plans to upgrade the firmware and it has been
two and 1/2 years now

I OWNED one so I know the 350 sucks

Is anyone else working on upgrades for the 350?

Old March 10th 05, 09:43 PM
KA6UUP

If you don't use FM a lot consider replacing the 15 kHz 9 mhz pre filter
FL23 with a 6 khz filter.
This filter is about 2/3 of the way back just left of center on the main
board. It looks like a crystal with 3 legs.
You can get it from ICOM for $18.00 plus shipping.
It is 9M6A1 FL-116 6kHz BW: part number 201 0000 950.
You do have to lift the main board to replace it but it isn't that hard
to do.
Also check out Kiwa (http://www.kiwa.com/) He has a 3.8 khz filter module.
73,
Chuck
Old March 10th 05, 11:30 PM

So for $485 {$425 for the receiver plus $60} I have a brand *new radio
with
a warranty, a bunch of filters I can MIX and match plus *DSP. Throw
those
twin PBT into the picture...and well you get the picture!

Lucky

Hmmm....now I know why they call you "Lucky". So what to you spend the
most time listening to? You HF-150 or your R75?

Steve